From: krw on
On Tue, 15 Sep 2009 07:43:22 -0700, Joerg <invalid(a)invalid.invalid>
wrote:

>krw wrote:
>> On Mon, 14 Sep 2009 20:17:10 -0700, Joerg <invalid(a)invalid.invalid>
>> wrote:

>>> Mine are also in the lab. It usually happens when we try to push the
>>> envelope a bit too much, when models don't jibe or when something else
>>> breaks down and causes a huge reflection or things like that. I do a lot
>>> of heavy duty pulse stuff where this is a normal part of life.
>>>
>>> You are doing IC design. That's like signal corp versus a job in the
>>> artillery. I did some chip designs as well but only a few and, you
>>> guessed it, those are run hard along the kablam ridge. "But this will
>>> electromigrate itself to death" ... "We have no real estate, got to do
>>> it" ... "Yabbut, the design rules and all that" ..."It only needs to
>>> live a few hours" ... "Oh".
>>
>> Oops. It didn't.
>

>They all do :-)

Evidently not the ones that go "phut ... *KABLAM*", unless you're
really a closet pyro. ;-)
From: Joerg on
krw wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Sep 2009 07:43:22 -0700, Joerg <invalid(a)invalid.invalid>
> wrote:
>
>> krw wrote:

>>> Oops. It didn't.
>>
>> They all do :-)
>
> Evidently not the ones that go "phut ... *KABLAM*", unless you're
> really a closet pyro. ;-)

That's what my father thought when my first attempt at building a
kilowatt-size amplifier as a teenager showed some "sub-optimal"
behavior. I was blissfully unaware that even large electrolytic
capacitors have things like ESR and ripple current limits. Phssssoooosh
..... cap took off like a Saturn V, left a crater in the ceiling plaster
and a smolder hole in the carpet.

What I meant with *KABLAM* are experiments in the lab. The more you can
model beforehand the less likely it is that you blow through a case of
$250 RF transistors. This is why I prefer devices that come with SPICE
models. Because most of my RF designs are not run-of-the-mills benign
amplifiers at all.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
From: JosephKK on
On Sat, 12 Sep 2009 15:03:31 -0700, Joerg <invalid(a)invalid.invalid>
wrote:

>Jim Thompson wrote:
>
>[...]
>
>> Young man, queuing up to be cancer-victim-Duane's replacement, is, of
>> all things, the maintenance shop manager for the Chandler Police
>> Department...
>>
>> http://www.analog-innovations.com/SED/AllisonAtMarksShop.JPG
>>

>They ride Honda, not Harley? I've never seen police ride Japanese bikes
>anywhere. But Folsom PD and the CHP use BMW.

Heck, i used to ride an ex-police Kawasaki myself. Common in the Far
west US.
From: Joerg on
JosephKK wrote:
> On Sat, 12 Sep 2009 15:03:31 -0700, Joerg <invalid(a)invalid.invalid>
> wrote:
>
>> Jim Thompson wrote:
>>
>> [...]
>>
>>> Young man, queuing up to be cancer-victim-Duane's replacement, is, of
>>> all things, the maintenance shop manager for the Chandler Police
>>> Department...
>>>
>>> http://www.analog-innovations.com/SED/AllisonAtMarksShop.JPG
>>>
>> They ride Honda, not Harley? I've never seen police ride Japanese bikes
>> anywhere. But Folsom PD and the CHP use BMW.
>>
> Heck, i used to ride an ex-police Kawasaki myself. Common in the Far
> west US.

Kind of unusual, considering that they typically never buy foreign
brands for their cruisers. Although I think L.A. just started with
electric Mini-Coopers but only for the volunteer force.

From: JosephKK on
On Fri, 18 Sep 2009 14:32:36 -0700, Joerg <invalid(a)invalid.invalid>
wrote:

>JosephKK wrote:
>> On Sat, 12 Sep 2009 15:03:31 -0700, Joerg <invalid(a)invalid.invalid>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Jim Thompson wrote:
>>>
>>> [...]
>>>>
>>> They ride Honda, not Harley? I've never seen police ride Japanese bikes
>>> anywhere. But Folsom PD and the CHP use BMW.
>>>
>> Heck, i used to ride an ex-police Kawasaki myself. Common in the Far
>> west US.
>

>Kind of unusual, considering that they typically never buy foreign
>brands for their cruisers. Although I think L.A. just started with
>electric Mini-Coopers but only for the volunteer force.

BMW, Honda, and Motoguzzi seem to be the current most common for MC
patrol vehicles. There are some HD, Suzuki, Yamaha and other brands.
Kawasaki still seem to be used for MC interceptors.