From: John Larkin on
On Fri, 11 Sep 2009 11:04:00 +0200, Fred Bartoli <" "> wrote:

>John Larkin a �crit :
>> On Thu, 10 Sep 2009 09:39:45 -0700, Joerg <invalid(a)invalid.invalid>
>> wrote:

>>> Mostly linear behavior and change of prop delays with chip temperature.
>>> But it's nothing for a project (yet), just kicking the tires. The newer
>>> 8GHz stuff looks very enticing but when I saw the prices I almost
>>> dropped my coffee cup.
>>
>> Heck, the Onsemi GigaComm stuff is only about $35 a gate. Hittite
>> wants $200.
>>
>> John
>>

>DTL? (Dollar Transfer Logic)

The Hittite stuff has zero propagation delay, because nobody is buying
it.

John

From: Joerg on
John Larkin wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Sep 2009 09:39:45 -0700, Joerg <invalid(a)invalid.invalid>
> wrote:
>
>> Jim Thompson wrote:

>>> What is it you're trying to model?
>>>
>> Mostly linear behavior and change of prop delays with chip temperature.
>> But it's nothing for a project (yet), just kicking the tires. The newer
>> 8GHz stuff looks very enticing but when I saw the prices I almost
>> dropped my coffee cup.
>
> Heck, the Onsemi GigaComm stuff is only about $35 a gate. ...

Only? ... :-)

Problem is, with many of my designs the whole solution including burden
(assembly, additional rigging costs, etc.) has to be lower than that.

> ... Hittite wants $200.

Made and sold for one defense project and nobody else is buying?

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
From: Jim Thompson on
On Fri, 11 Sep 2009 08:38:08 -0700, Joerg <invalid(a)invalid.invalid>
wrote:

>John Larkin wrote:
>> On Thu, 10 Sep 2009 09:39:45 -0700, Joerg <invalid(a)invalid.invalid>
>> wrote:

>>> Mostly linear behavior and change of prop delays with chip temperature.
>>> But it's nothing for a project (yet), just kicking the tires. The newer
>>> 8GHz stuff looks very enticing but when I saw the prices I almost
>>> dropped my coffee cup.
>>
>> Heck, the Onsemi GigaComm stuff is only about $35 a gate. ...
>

>Only? ... :-)
>
>Problem is, with many of my designs the whole solution including burden
>(assembly, additional rigging costs, etc.) has to be lower than that.
>

>> ... Hittite wants $200.
>>

>Made and sold for one defense project and nobody else is buying?

Joerg, What sort of analog uses are you contemplating? E-mail me
privately, I may know the very trick you're trying to use. I've been
around ECL/PECL/CML a lot, having joined the Motorola crew... Narud,
Capon Phillips, Sealbach... just when that work first began (1962).

I've also done a lot of design work for Arizona Microtek...

http://www.azmicrotek.com/

If you'd like an intro there, let me know.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Eight years ago, on September 11, around 6AM, 4 telephone calls in
rapid succession, "Mom, Where's Dad, Is he flying?"
My wife woke me and turned on the television.
****
We will NEVER forget!
We WILL get even!
Apply salt to the Obama-slug ;-)
From: John Larkin on
wrote:

>John Larkin wrote:
>> On Thu, 10 Sep 2009 09:39:45 -0700, Joerg <invalid(a)invalid.invalid>
>> wrote:

>>> Mostly linear behavior and change of prop delays with chip temperature.
>>> But it's nothing for a project (yet), just kicking the tires. The newer
>>> 8GHz stuff looks very enticing but when I saw the prices I almost
>>> dropped my coffee cup.
>>
>> Heck, the Onsemi GigaComm stuff is only about $35 a gate. ...
>

>Only? ... :-)
>
>Problem is, with many of my designs the whole solution including burden
>(assembly, additional rigging costs, etc.) has to be lower than that.

The only way you're going to get a heap of 5 GHz logic for $10 is to
spin a custom IC and make tens of millions of them. $35 for a gate or
a flipflop is OK if you're building a $5000 piece of test equipment.

8-port gigabit ethernet switches are in the $60 retail range now, and
will surely be a lot cheaper soon. That's an amazing heap of fast
logic. A single 10 MBPS ethernet interface used to cost as much as a
nice new car.

John

From: Joerg on
John Larkin wrote:
> On Fri, 11 Sep 2009 08:38:08 -0700, Joerg <invalid(a)invalid.invalid>
> wrote:
>
>> John Larkin wrote:

>>> Heck, the Onsemi GigaComm stuff is only about $35 a gate. ...
>>
>> Only? ... :-)
>>
>> Problem is, with many of my designs the whole solution including burden
>> (assembly, additional rigging costs, etc.) has to be lower than that.
>
> The only way you're going to get a heap of 5 GHz logic for $10 is to
> spin a custom IC and make tens of millions of them. $35 for a gate or
> a flipflop is OK if you're building a $5000 piece of test equipment.
>
> 8-port gigabit ethernet switches are in the $60 retail range now, and
> will surely be a lot cheaper soon. That's an amazing heap of fast
> logic. A single 10 MBPS ethernet interface used to cost as much as a
> nice new car.

Ok, large scale integrated stuff is a different game. But when $30 are
charged for a single inverter I'll do it with a few BFP620 transistors.
ft around 65GHz, SOT23, about 50 cents in qties :-)