From: Jim Thompson on

I can do that for you... for a fee ;-)

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

From: Joerg on
Jim Thompson wrote:
> On Sat, 12 Sep 2009 11:55:25 -0700, Joerg <invalid(a)invalid.invalid>
> wrote:
>
>> Jim Thompson wrote:

[...]

>>> Most math is bilateral ;-)
>>>
>> Ok, true, I was lazy here. Thought about some SW-routine where you slap
>> the datasheet on a scanner, press magic button, out comes SPICE
>> sub-circuit :-)))
>
> I can do that for you... for a fee ;-)

I know :-)

Right now I don't need to convert though because I just went over to
manufacturers who furnish SPICE models. But if we really need to and
it's crunch time I might take you up on that, or a client of mine would.

If you and your son-in-law (the computer guy) get together and write a
program that does this you could probably sell it to numerous
manufacturers. Every time a guy like me walks away because they don't
have SPICE models that means serious money is being left on the table.
Once the BOM is done and done, it takes a major earth-shattering event
to change it. Or very painful price cuts. I had sales reps almost in
tears when they realized they shoulda ...

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
From: John Larkin on
On Sat, 12 Sep 2009 11:15:41 -0700, Joerg <invalid(a)invalid.invalid>
wrote:

>Jim Thompson wrote:
>> On Sat, 12 Sep 2009 08:51:21 -0700, Joerg <invalid(a)invalid.invalid>
>> wrote:

>>> [...]
>>>>
>>> I've seen that. But if you are a consultant and this goes into some
>>> aircraft you can't design like that. Even with an indemnification clause
>>> that can cause lots of grief should it go wrong in only one case. It's
>>> got to be by the book.

>>> All they really offer in many cases is a set of S-parameters. Since I
>>> design a lot of pulse circuitry I almost do a rain dance every time
>>> there is just a snippet of SPICE data.
>>
>> Somewhere in my bag-o-tricks is an S-Parameter-to-Spice-Model
>> converter (and vice-versa).
>>
>> When I find it I'll post.
>>

>That would be very kind.
>
>However, except for super large transmitter devices (and sometimes even
>then) the S-parameters have been measured under small signal conditions.
>Doesn't help much when pulsing them hard, then you are back to what John
>said, experiments on the lab bench.

The RF boys call that "load pull" testing. People make interfaced
load-pull boxes so you can automate exploring the nonlinear space of
large-signal RF amps. Between explosions, anyhow.

google "load pull tuner"

Got one of those coming up. I am
>going to do the first run with tubes again to see if the concept pans
>out, in order not to have stuff blow up in my face. It's really nice to
>know that one can still buy the mil version of the 6146 tube, at
>affordable prices. So far I haven't blown one though, only tired out a pair.

My first job interview, I told the guy that I preferred tubes to
transistors because tubes were harder to blow up. The smug SOB said
"that won't do" and sent me away. My next interview, I said the same
thing, and Melvin laughed and hired me. I designed $200 million worth
of stuff for him.

John

From: Joerg on
John Larkin wrote:
> On Sat, 12 Sep 2009 11:15:41 -0700, Joerg <invalid(a)invalid.invalid>
> wrote:
>
>> Jim Thompson wrote:

>>> Somewhere in my bag-o-tricks is an S-Parameter-to-Spice-Model
>>> converter (and vice-versa).
>>>
>>> When I find it I'll post.
>>>
>> That would be very kind.
>>
>> However, except for super large transmitter devices (and sometimes even
>> then) the S-parameters have been measured under small signal conditions.
>> Doesn't help much when pulsing them hard, then you are back to what John
>> said, experiments on the lab bench.
>
> The RF boys call that "load pull" testing. People make interfaced
> load-pull boxes so you can automate exploring the nonlinear space of
> large-signal RF amps. Between explosions, anyhow.

Mostly I just press on, eye-ball the rough L and C values, go into the
garage and see if I have enough suitable variable capacitor for a test.
Then it's off to the plumber's place for some copper tubing, to make the
coils. At Home Depot that's now called "plomeria".

> google "load pull tuner"
>
> Got one of those coming up. I am
>> going to do the first run with tubes again to see if the concept pans
>> out, in order not to have stuff blow up in my face. It's really nice to
>> know that one can still buy the mil version of the 6146 tube, at
>> affordable prices. So far I haven't blown one though, only tired out a pair.
>
> My first job interview, I told the guy that I preferred tubes to
> transistors because tubes were harder to blow up. The smug SOB said
> "that won't do" and sent me away. My next interview, I said the same
> thing, and Melvin laughed and hired me. I designed $200 million worth
> of stuff for him.

I've had a similar event with a potential client a long time ago.
Proposed an unorthodox solution that seemed to be "too simple" for them,
not academic enough. They turned me down. A few years later this company
was at the financial end of the rope and went belly up. The sad thing is
that my solution would have potentially saved them, along with about two
dozen jobs :-(

From: Phil Hobbs on
John Larkin wrote:
> On Sat, 12 Sep 2009 11:15:41 -0700, Joerg <invalid(a)invalid.invalid>
> wrote:
>
>> Jim Thompson wrote:

>>> Somewhere in my bag-o-tricks is an S-Parameter-to-Spice-Model
>>> converter (and vice-versa).
>>>
>>> When I find it I'll post.
>>>
>> That would be very kind.
>>
>> However, except for super large transmitter devices (and sometimes even
>> then) the S-parameters have been measured under small signal conditions.
>> Doesn't help much when pulsing them hard, then you are back to what John
>> said, experiments on the lab bench.
>
> The RF boys call that "load pull" testing. People make interfaced
> load-pull boxes so you can automate exploring the nonlinear space of
> large-signal RF amps. Between explosions, anyhow.
>
> google "load pull tuner"
>
> Got one of those coming up. I am
>> going to do the first run with tubes again to see if the concept pans
>> out, in order not to have stuff blow up in my face. It's really nice to
>> know that one can still buy the mil version of the 6146 tube, at
>> affordable prices. So far I haven't blown one though, only tired out a pair.
>
> My first job interview, I told the guy that I preferred tubes to
> transistors because tubes were harder to blow up. The smug SOB said
> "that won't do" and sent me away. My next interview, I said the same
> thing, and Melvin laughed and hired me. I designed $200 million worth
> of stuff for him.

Fun. It's amazing how many careers get started off by somebody who's
willing to take a risk on a smart kid. A good lesson for us all.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs