From: Jim Thompson on
On Mon, 14 Sep 2009 17:01:07 -0700, Joerg <invalid(a)invalid.invalid>
wrote:

>Charlie E. wrote:
[snip]

>> Yes, Jim, I think I sent that to you back in the day. But, you have
>> to be careful. It really does what is in effect an inverse FFT of the
>> Sparams, so it doesn't include any of the really important data you
>> need to do a good spice simulation when you are concerned more with
>> transient response.
>

>That's exactly the point, especially with LDMOS. When a big old fat one
>goes phut ... *KABLAM* it's mucho Dolares down the drain. Not the best
>way to make friends at a new client.
>

>> ... IBIS models are a 'little' better, but they are
>> also very behavioral and I was always interested in the little
>> 'gotchas' that following them too closely led to.
>>
>> Charlie

Joerg, You have way too much "phut ... *KABLAM*" in your life! What
is it you're doing to cause all that ?:-)

Crikey! Here I am months from the big '70, and I can count all my
"phut ... *KABLAM*"'s on one hand... and they were ALL in the lab, NOT
in the field, just great entertainment for my technicians... nothing
quite like the boss getting knocked off his lab stool to amuse the
troops ;-)

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

The health bill from Obama and the Democrats is so full of subter-
fuge and obfuscation that we are forced to judge it solely by the
smell... Ewwwwwwh! Stinks of mendacity and unwashed weenies :-(
From: Joerg on
Jim Thompson wrote:
> On Mon, 14 Sep 2009 17:01:07 -0700, Joerg <invalid(a)invalid.invalid>
> wrote:
>
>> Charlie E. wrote:
> [snip]
>>> Yes, Jim, I think I sent that to you back in the day. But, you have
>>> to be careful. It really does what is in effect an inverse FFT of the
>>> Sparams, so it doesn't include any of the really important data you
>>> need to do a good spice simulation when you are concerned more with
>>> transient response.
>>
>> That's exactly the point, especially with LDMOS. When a big old fat one
>> goes phut ... *KABLAM* it's mucho Dolares down the drain. Not the best
>> way to make friends at a new client.
>>

>>> ... IBIS models are a 'little' better, but they are
>>> also very behavioral and I was always interested in the little
>>> 'gotchas' that following them too closely led to.
>>>
>>> Charlie
>
> Joerg, You have way too much "phut ... *KABLAM*" in your life! What
> is it you're doing to cause all that ?:-)
>
> Crikey! Here I am months from the big '70, and I can count all my
> "phut ... *KABLAM*"'s on one hand... and they were ALL in the lab, NOT
> in the field, just great entertainment for my technicians... nothing
> quite like the boss getting knocked off his lab stool to amuse the
> troops ;-)

Mine are also in the lab. It usually happens when we try to push the
envelope a bit too much, when models don't jibe or when something else
breaks down and causes a huge reflection or things like that. I do a lot
of heavy duty pulse stuff where this is a normal part of life.

You are doing IC design. That's like signal corp versus a job in the
artillery. I did some chip designs as well but only a few and, you
guessed it, those are run hard along the kablam ridge. "But this will
electromigrate itself to death" ... "We have no real estate, got to do
it" ... "Yabbut, the design rules and all that" ..."It only needs to
live a few hours" ... "Oh".

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
From: krw on
On Mon, 14 Sep 2009 20:17:10 -0700, Joerg <invalid(a)invalid.invalid>
wrote:

>Jim Thompson wrote:
>> On Mon, 14 Sep 2009 17:01:07 -0700, Joerg <invalid(a)invalid.invalid>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Charlie E. wrote:
>> [snip]
>>>
>>> That's exactly the point, especially with LDMOS. When a big old fat one
>>> goes phut ... *KABLAM* it's mucho Dolares down the drain. Not the best
>>> way to make friends at a new client.

>> Joerg, You have way too much "phut ... *KABLAM*" in your life! What
>> is it you're doing to cause all that ?:-)
>>
>> Crikey! Here I am months from the big '70, and I can count all my
>> "phut ... *KABLAM*"'s on one hand... and they were ALL in the lab, NOT
>> in the field, just great entertainment for my technicians... nothing
>> quite like the boss getting knocked off his lab stool to amuse the
>> troops ;-)
>

>Mine are also in the lab. It usually happens when we try to push the
>envelope a bit too much, when models don't jibe or when something else
>breaks down and causes a huge reflection or things like that. I do a lot
>of heavy duty pulse stuff where this is a normal part of life.
>
>You are doing IC design. That's like signal corp versus a job in the
>artillery. I did some chip designs as well but only a few and, you
>guessed it, those are run hard along the kablam ridge. "But this will
>electromigrate itself to death" ... "We have no real estate, got to do
>it" ... "Yabbut, the design rules and all that" ..."It only needs to
>live a few hours" ... "Oh".

Oops. It didn't.
From: Joerg on
krw wrote:
> On Mon, 14 Sep 2009 20:17:10 -0700, Joerg <invalid(a)invalid.invalid>
> wrote:
>
>> Jim Thompson wrote:

>>> [snip]

>>> Joerg, You have way too much "phut ... *KABLAM*" in your life! What
>>> is it you're doing to cause all that ?:-)
>>>
>>> Crikey! Here I am months from the big '70, and I can count all my
>>> "phut ... *KABLAM*"'s on one hand... and they were ALL in the lab, NOT
>>> in the field, just great entertainment for my technicians... nothing
>>> quite like the boss getting knocked off his lab stool to amuse the
>>> troops ;-)
>>
>> Mine are also in the lab. It usually happens when we try to push the
>> envelope a bit too much, when models don't jibe or when something else
>> breaks down and causes a huge reflection or things like that. I do a lot
>> of heavy duty pulse stuff where this is a normal part of life.
>>
>> You are doing IC design. That's like signal corp versus a job in the
>> artillery. I did some chip designs as well but only a few and, you
>> guessed it, those are run hard along the kablam ridge. "But this will
>> electromigrate itself to death" ... "We have no real estate, got to do
>> it" ... "Yabbut, the design rules and all that" ..."It only needs to
>> live a few hours" ... "Oh".
>
> Oops. It didn't.

They all do :-)

From: Joerg on
Jim Thompson wrote:
> On Mon, 14 Sep 2009 20:17:10 -0700, Joerg <invalid(a)invalid.invalid>
> wrote:
>
>> Jim Thompson wrote:

>>> [snip]

>>> Joerg, You have way too much "phut ... *KABLAM*" in your life! What
>>> is it you're doing to cause all that ?:-)
>>>
>>> Crikey! Here I am months from the big '70, and I can count all my
>>> "phut ... *KABLAM*"'s on one hand... and they were ALL in the lab, NOT
>>> in the field, just great entertainment for my technicians... nothing
>>> quite like the boss getting knocked off his lab stool to amuse the
>>> troops ;-)
>>
>> Mine are also in the lab. It usually happens when we try to push the
>> envelope a bit too much, when models don't jibe or when something else
>> breaks down and causes a huge reflection or things like that. I do a lot
>> of heavy duty pulse stuff where this is a normal part of life.
>>
>> You are doing IC design. That's like signal corp versus a job in the
>> artillery.
>
> What a pile of horse pucky. Who do you think did Hubble magnetic
> support, a satellite spinner for objects as big as a car, and
> automotive environment for years and years and years ?:-)

Then why does the electronics in cars croak so often ... ?

<duck and run>

--
SCNR, Joerg