From: Mike Williams on
"Dee Earley" <dee.earley(a)icode.co.uk> wrote in message
> On 18/05/2010 21:39, Nobody wrote:
>> "LondonLad"<LondonLad(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> can I have permission to post part of his code?
>>
>> There is no need to get someone's permission to post part of their work.
>> It's called "fair use" or "Fair dealing".
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_use
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_dealing
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_dealing#United_Kingdom
>
> Haven't we all been through this before?? :)

It's just a pity that fairness and justice are not alive in America because
the law enforcement agencies and politicians who control them answer to the
large business corporations such as Apple and Micro$oft and others in whose
pockets they live rather than to the people who voted them into office and
who they are supposed to serve. America, the land of the free! Just who do
they think they're kidding!

Mike

From: Mayayana on
| America, the land of the free! Just who do
| they think they're kidding!

That's not fair. You're free to buy a congressman.
The US is an equal-opportunity plutocracy. :)

(A case could be made that class-based power
a la Britain is not any more civilized or rational
than wealth-based power derived from greed,
cheating and lottery tickets. So...glass houses and
all that.)

I saw an article at Slashdot the other day talking
about a Firefox variant to use H.264 in all of the
countries where file format patents are not accepted,
and therefore H.264 is free to use. I was surprised
to learn that it's only two countries -- the US and,
I think, S. Korea (?) -- where there's a problem with
H.264.

From: Mike Williams on
"Mayayana" <mayayana(a)invalid.nospam> wrote in message
>| America, the land of the free! Just who do
> | they think they're kidding!
> |

> That's not fair. You're free to buy a congressman.
> The US is an equal-opportunity plutocracy. :)
> (A case could be made that class-based power
> a la Britain is not any more civilized or rational
> than wealth-based power derived from greed,
> cheating and lottery tickets. So...glass houses and
> all that.)

You're quite right. Britain, in its own way, is just as corrupt as America,
but we don't make a song and dance about being the land of the free, as
America does ;-)

Mike

From: David Kaye on
"Mike Williams" <Mike(a)WhiskeyAndCoke.com> wrote:

>It's just a pity that fairness and justice are not alive in America because
>the law enforcement agencies and politicians who control them answer to the
>large business corporations such as Apple and Micro$oft and others in whose
>pockets they live rather than to the people who voted them into office and
>who they are supposed to serve. America, the land of the free! Just who do
>they think they're kidding!

On which side are you arguing? Are you arguing that large corporations can
take protected software and use it for their own (Apple's use of the Xerox
Star windowing system, for instance), or the various lawsuits involving use of
protected software by others?

What is being protected? Look and feel can't be protected as we've seen with
Windows versus Mac. Is code being protected? If so, what constitutes real
innovation in code and what constitutes simply taking something off the shelf,
changing the variable names and calling it your own?

For instance, I have a superb SQL statement that will remove records that have
some (but not all) duplicated fields. It is just one statement, but it
replaces a whole boatload of code. It's sort of unique to me but not really.
I took someone else's freely-offered idea and tweaked it a little. That's it.
Do I have a right to claim it as my own? I think not.

Also, what's all this "America" thing? You're talking in a forum that goes
worldwide, where most of the money is being made outside the U.S.

So, what side are you arguing?

From: Mike Williams on
"David Kaye" <sfdavidkaye2(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message

> On which side are you arguing? Are you arguing that large
> corporations can take protected software and use it for their
> own (Apple's use of the Xerox Star windowing system, for
> instance)

Nope. In fact quite the opposite of that. I'm arguing that large
corporations, such as Apple for example, should not get away with bribing
publicly elected politicians and the judiciary and public law enforcement
agencies to "bend" the law in their favour and to act as their own personal
army, and should not send them them in after the little guys whilst they
themselves get away with all sorts of dishonest and legally questionable
things.

If you lost a phone in a bar and you discovered who had found it, do you
think you would be able to persuade a police SWAT team to "gangster up" and
break down his door with a battering ram in the middle of the night and take
away his personal possessions! Sheesh!

http://gizmodo.com/5524843/police-seize-jason-chens-computers

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/apple/7637585/Gizmodo-editors-home-raided-by-police-over-Apple-iPhone-4G-leak.html

I'm also arguing that large corporations, such as Micro$oft for example,
should not use heavy handed tactics against people who they believe have
wronged them in some way whilst at the same time they themselves employ
illegal gangster like tactics in their own pursuit of power and profit:

http://www.computerworlduk.com/management/government-law/public-sector/news/index.cfm?newsid=6124&pn=1

Mike