From: Mayayana on
| Sorry, I think of Microsoft in godlike terms. I don't put them in the
same
| Antichrist league as Google or Apple. I think MS has done way more good
than
| bad.

Oh, boy. I'll resist writing a long essay and just
gibe you two of the meatiest links that come to
mind:

The famous "Evangelism is War"
http://www.groklaw.net/articlebasic.php?story=20071023002351958
or
http://iowa.gotthefacts.org/011607/3000/PX03096.pdf

Your opinion of MS is covered under "Generalized
Evangelism Timeline" which describes such strategies
as seducing ISVs (which are described as pawns),
and buying off professional analysts/consultants.

The Vista versions fiasco:

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601103&sid=aakoxXKmuWwU

(The whole set of emails are out there somewhere,
but I can't find a link at the moment.)

Not that I think MS should be singled out as unique.
But the problem is that they're very, very big. They
pretty much own the Desktop.

What Mike is pointing out is that major US
companies have been allowed to exploit virtually
without limit, because the US really has degenerated
into plutocracy where laws are written by lobbyists,
who are no more than legal couriers for massive bribes.

| That said, I wish they'd make it easier for me to reinstall Windows in
| customer machines when I have to replace hard drives or there is severe
| corruption involving the drive. Few of my customers can locate their copy
of
| Windows -- assuming that the computer maker has even included a copy with
the
| computer! I think MS should require their resellers to package a real
Windows
| disk with each machine.

Ha! That's how they make a lot (most?) of their
money -- by selling Windows to people who've
already paid for Windows.
So who's doing the "piracy"?

From: Karl E. Peterson on
David Kaye wrote:
> Sorry, I think of Microsoft in godlike terms. I don't put them in the same
> Antichrist league as Google or Apple. I think MS has done way more good than
> bad.

We don't like your type here...

--
..NET: It's About Trust! http://vfred.mvps.org
Customer Hatred Knows No Bounds at MSFT

From: Karl E. Peterson on
LondonLad wrote:
> then next line is where I get the error
> the values are
> lSize = 1980695040
> TagBlockLen = 133050
>
> If (lSize < lTagBlockLen) Then

Not true. That line will not generate an Overflow error. Try again?

From: Paul Clement on
On Thu, 20 May 2010 08:20:56 +0100, "Mike Williams" <Mike(a)WhiskeyAndCoke.com> wrote:

� Nope. In fact quite the opposite of that. I'm arguing that large
� corporations, such as Apple for example, should not get away with bribing
� publicly elected politicians and the judiciary and public law enforcement
� agencies to "bend" the law in their favour and to act as their own personal
� army, and should not send them them in after the little guys whilst they
� themselves get away with all sorts of dishonest and legally questionable
� things.

� If you lost a phone in a bar and you discovered who had found it, do you
� think you would be able to persuade a police SWAT team to "gangster up" and
� break down his door with a battering ram in the middle of the night and take
� away his personal possessions! Sheesh!

� http://gizmodo.com/5524843/police-seize-jason-chens-computers

� http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/apple/7637585/Gizmodo-editors-home-raided-by-police-over-Apple-iPhone-4G-leak.html

Why do you post this drivel here? Besides being off-topic you don't seem to know much about the U.S.
constitution from a legal perspective. The First Amendment does not exempt someone from a search and
seizure warrant based upon a criminal act, just because that person is a "journalist".

� I'm also arguing that large corporations, such as Micro$oft for example,
� should not use heavy handed tactics against people who they believe have
� wronged them in some way whilst at the same time they themselves employ
� illegal gangster like tactics in their own pursuit of power and profit:

� http://www.computerworlduk.com/management/government-law/public-sector/news/index.cfm?newsid=6124&pn=1

Geez. More anti-Microsoft spittle. There were no "heavy handed tactics" by Microsoft in this deal,
especially since the USPF went with the Linux product.

You're such an exaggerator Mike.

Paul
~~~~
Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)