From: John Tserkezis on
On 14/03/2010 10:50 AM, John Tserkezis wrote:

I've take the easy way out, and eventually, found a utility called
KLocks. It controls the Num, Caps and Scroll lock keys, and can either
set, un-set or toggle the specified keys.

<http://www.commandline.co.uk/klocks/>

And it's command line driven.

Sure, while it's booting up, the leds on the keyboard flash like a
bloody christmas tree, but it settles eventually to a very sensible
"off" for everything.

Whoo hoo! It really is satisfying to trump Windows' absurdities.

From: KnockKnock on

"keithr" <keith(a)nowhere.com.au> wrote in message
> John Tserkezis wrote:
>> I need to have the NumLock status turned OFF at startup, or at least
>> logon.
>>
>> Before the suggestions come in, I've done at least some homework, and
>> ask you do not re-suggest the following, because they DON'T work.
>>
>> - I am running Windows 7, so anything that might work on any other OS
>> won't work here. Don't suggest it, I've tried it.
>>
>> - I do NOT have a numlock off option in my BIOS. It doesn't matter
>> anyway, because Win7 will over-ride it anyway.
>>
>> - I've tried the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Keyboard\
>> InitialKeyboardIndicators option = 0, that doesn't work.
>> Nor does "numlock"="off" as I don't have intellipoint anyway.
>>
>> - I've tried a utility that changes the BIOS's interpretation of the
>> numlock status (DOS util, works under 98 and lower) and that doesn't
>> work either.
>>
>> - I know Win7 remembers the state of numlock at last logoff, and
>> re-enstates the status at next startup. I'm not interested. I want it
>> forced properly off.
>>

>> This is something that MUST be doable. What have I missed?
>
> Why not just write a little program that turns it off and make it an
> automatically started service.

Sound advice.
http://downloads.pcworld.com/pub/new/utilities/desktop/numlock.zip

From: annily on
John Tserkezis wrote:
> On 14/03/2010 10:50 AM, John Tserkezis wrote:
>
> I've take the easy way out, and eventually, found a utility called
> KLocks. It controls the Num, Caps and Scroll lock keys, and can either
> set, un-set or toggle the specified keys.
>
> <http://www.commandline.co.uk/klocks/>
>
> And it's command line driven.
>
> Sure, while it's booting up, the leds on the keyboard flash like a
> bloody christmas tree, but it settles eventually to a very sensible
> "off" for everything.
>
> Whoo hoo! It really is satisfying to trump Windows' absurdities.

Why do you want them all off at startup, anyway?

--
Long-time resident of Adelaide, South Australia,
which may or may not influence my opinions.
From: John Tserkezis on
On 14/03/2010 9:47 PM, annily wrote:

> Why do you want them all off at startup, anyway?

I never use Caps Lock unless I'M SHOUTING.

I never use Scroll Lock, partly because very few softwares actually
implement it, and for those that do, I can never remember what it locks
anyway.

I never use Num Lock, because I never enter numerics in the scale that
would warrant leaving it on. And besides, the non-locked keypad works
rather well for cursor navigation.
From: annily on
John Tserkezis wrote:
> On 14/03/2010 9:47 PM, annily wrote:
>
>> Why do you want them all off at startup, anyway?
>
> I never use Caps Lock unless I'M SHOUTING.
>
> I never use Scroll Lock, partly because very few softwares actually
> implement it, and for those that do, I can never remember what it locks
> anyway.
>
> I never use Num Lock, because I never enter numerics in the scale that
> would warrant leaving it on. And besides, the non-locked keypad works
> rather well for cursor navigation.

That doesn't answer my question. It's easy enough to turn them off
manually AFTER startup, isn't it?

--
Long-time resident of Adelaide, South Australia,
which may or may not influence my opinions.
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Prev: Video card ?
Next: Thought I might share this image.