From: John Tserkezis on
I need to have the NumLock status turned OFF at startup, or at least logon.

Before the suggestions come in, I've done at least some homework, and
ask you do not re-suggest the following, because they DON'T work.

- I am running Windows 7, so anything that might work on any other OS
won't work here. Don't suggest it, I've tried it.

- I do NOT have a numlock off option in my BIOS. It doesn't matter
anyway, because Win7 will over-ride it anyway.

- I've tried the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Keyboard\
InitialKeyboardIndicators option = 0, that doesn't work.
Nor does "numlock"="off" as I don't have intellipoint anyway.

- I've tried a utility that changes the BIOS's interpretation of the
numlock status (DOS util, works under 98 and lower) and that doesn't
work either.

- I know Win7 remembers the state of numlock at last logoff, and
re-enstates the status at next startup. I'm not interested. I want it
forced properly off.

This is something that MUST be doable. What have I missed?
From: idgat on
On Sun, 14 Mar 2010 10:50:07 +1100, John Tserkezis
<jt(a)techniciansyndrome.org.invalid> wrote:

> I need to have the NumLock status turned OFF at startup, or at least logon.
>
> Before the suggestions come in, I've done at least some homework, and
>ask you do not re-suggest the following, because they DON'T work.
>
>- I am running Windows 7, so anything that might work on any other OS
>won't work here. Don't suggest it, I've tried it.
>
>- I do NOT have a numlock off option in my BIOS. It doesn't matter
>anyway, because Win7 will over-ride it anyway.
>
>- I've tried the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Keyboard\
>InitialKeyboardIndicators option = 0, that doesn't work.
>Nor does "numlock"="off" as I don't have intellipoint anyway.
>
>- I've tried a utility that changes the BIOS's interpretation of the
>numlock status (DOS util, works under 98 and lower) and that doesn't
>work either.
>
>- I know Win7 remembers the state of numlock at last logoff, and
>re-enstates the status at next startup. I'm not interested. I want it
>forced properly off.
>

> This is something that MUST be doable. What have I missed?

I got sick and tired of that completely obselete key CapsLock getting
accidently turned on, and stuffing up passwords to the extent that I
got locked out of websites because of too many incorrect attempts.

It didn't help when passwords are shown as ********, so you don't see
whether CapsLock is on or off!!

Use a program called AutoHotkey. Runs in the background and you can
add scripts that disable keys.
--
idgat
Compuglobalhypermeganet Inc.
From: John Tserkezis on
On 14/03/2010 11:43 AM, Andy wrote:

>> Use a program called AutoHotkey. Runs in the background and you can
>> add scripts that disable keys.

How embarrasment. I have AHK installed, and use it on occasion to run
pre-supplied scripts. I didn't think it could be the obvious candicate.

> Will it start as a 'service' before the login screen appears though? I
> think that's what John is after.

I'll take what I can get. Something in the Startup folder will do if
that's what it takes...

Either way, you can make many programs run as a service if configured
properly.

Thanks guys, now to read through the manual...
From: KnockKnock on
Paste the folling into a new notepad file

set WshShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
WshShell.SendKeys "{NUMLOCK}"

and save A$ numlock.vbs

This, when opened will enable/disable numlock

From: keithr on
John Tserkezis wrote:
> I need to have the NumLock status turned OFF at startup, or at least logon.
>
> Before the suggestions come in, I've done at least some homework, and
> ask you do not re-suggest the following, because they DON'T work.
>
> - I am running Windows 7, so anything that might work on any other OS
> won't work here. Don't suggest it, I've tried it.
>
> - I do NOT have a numlock off option in my BIOS. It doesn't matter
> anyway, because Win7 will over-ride it anyway.
>
> - I've tried the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Keyboard\
> InitialKeyboardIndicators option = 0, that doesn't work.
> Nor does "numlock"="off" as I don't have intellipoint anyway.
>
> - I've tried a utility that changes the BIOS's interpretation of the
> numlock status (DOS util, works under 98 and lower) and that doesn't
> work either.
>
> - I know Win7 remembers the state of numlock at last logoff, and
> re-enstates the status at next startup. I'm not interested. I want it
> forced properly off.
>

> This is something that MUST be doable. What have I missed?

Why not just write a little program that turns it off and make it an
automatically started service.
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Prev: Video card ?