From: Martin Thompson on
ptkwt(a)aracnet.com (Phil Tomson) writes:

> Is XDL described anywhere? Grammar or BNF? Or is it based on XML? (probably
> not likely, but one can wish)

Yes, no, and no :-)

It's described in comments in the XDL file itself:

Here's some of them pasted out of one of mine:
# =======================================================
# The syntax for the design statement is:
# design <design_name> <part> <ncd version>;
# or
# =======================================================
# The syntax for instances is:
# or
#
# The syntax for nets is:
# net <name> <type>,
# outpin <inst_name> <inst_pin>,
# .
# .
# inpin <inst_name> <inst_pin>,
# .
# .
# pip <tile> <wire0> <dir> <wire1> , # [<rt>]
# .
# .
# ;
#
etc..etc...
More details then follow on some of the details.

So it is fairly straightforward to understand, assuming you
understand the architecture it's talking about already...

I have made a start on a python parser for XDL which creates a
pysqlite database as the backend. Conekt owns it, but they may be
persuaded to open source it.. I wonder...

Cheers,
Martin

--
martin.j.thompson(a)trw.com
http://www.trw.com/conekt

From: Brian Drummond on
On 19 Jan 2006 06:45:09 GMT, ptkwt(a)aracnet.com (Phil Tomson) wrote:

>>>Also, just like the Java VM doesn't care what
>>>underlying architecture it's running on, this sort of thing could potentially
>>>make it easier to port designs between FPGA families...
>>
>>But no easier than behavioural VHDL code, in my opinion.
>
>True. The only gains might come when describing memories and other larger
>blocks which tend to be different from family to family... but there are other
>easier ways of 'genericisizing' those things too.

Indeed. Any such block should have a completely generic entity,
preferably with a generic architecture, which will at least work for
simulation. If that synthesises down to a million FFs instead of a BRAM,
you can always substitute architecture X or A as appropriate. With
configurations, if the tools support them properly.

- Brian
From: Tobias Weingartner on
In article <dqmerv$c04(a)xco-news.xilinx.com>, Austin Lesea wrote:

> Not that we will not do what you suggest (someday), but reverse
> engineering OTP memory is very cheap, and is considered quite insecure.

Sure, a ROM may be such. I dont really care how it's implemented, but
if done as a "persistant write-only" area of the FPGA (from a user's
point of view)... if that is battery backed ram, flash, whatever. I'll
leave the finer details to the VLSI designers... :)

> The one time programmable key might be sufficient as a deterrent, and
> will certainly slow down the process of ripping off the design. I
> agree. But please do not put it forth as being "secure."

Ok, more resistant. :)

--
[100~Plax]sb16i0A2172656B63616820636420726568746F6E61207473754A[dZ1!=b]salax
From: Tobias Weingartner on
Peter Alfke wrote:

> Tobias, we love universities and their students and faculty for their
> uninhibited free thinking, unburdened by mundane practicality.

Ouch. Unfortunately, this is not for university business.

> But beware that some of your sentences sound not just enthusiastic and
> uninhibited, but also ill informed. Life would be easy if the world
> were a simple as you see it.

Life can be as simple as you make it.

> Of course we have evaluated non-volatile storage on an FPGA, and we
> offer a decryption engine in every Virtex-4 device that we ship. With
> battery-backed-up SRAM key storage, because we know that Flash storage
> offers no security worth talking about.

So what you're saying is that for Virtex-4 devices the reason to keep
the bitstream format closed has been reduced by one hurdle. :)

> And several smart people at Xilinx (and surely also in Altera) are
> still thinking very hard about a technically and economically viable
> solution. We gladly take advice. But it has to be more substantial than
> what you seem to offer.

The only advice I was hoping to offer was one of "please reconsider opening
the bitstream format".

--
[100~Plax]sb16i0A2172656B63616820636420726568746F6E61207473754A[dZ1!=b]salax
From: Peter Alfke on

Tobias Weingartner wrote:
> The only advice I was hoping to offer was one of "please reconsider opening
> the bitstream format".

Tobias, just to remind you, the following is what you wrote,
and that is what I strongly take exception to:

"I'm no VLSI designer, but I can't imagine that putting
a simple AES engine onto the FPGA, along with some OTP ram for the key,

would take any significant room. As a bonus, you may be able to offer
the simple AES engine for the FPGA to use once programming is done."

That's what I call simplistic and un-informed advice.
I want to avoid the bovine excrement word...
Peter Alfke