From: Peter Alfke on
Rob, the first adult who is known to have complained about the youth of
his time being lazy do-no-gooders, was Socrates, more than 2400 years
ago. And each generation after him has repeated the complaint, while
benefitting from the progress brought about by those youths, once they
had matured.
Look at the kids coming out of Stanford, starting SUN, Yahoo, and
Google. Most of the detailed work in my company is done by engineers in
their late twenties and thirties, obviously with necessary guidance
from us more experienced folks...
If kids are not interested in science, that is mainly the fault of
educators, industry and management, creating a a bad learning and
career environment.
I prefer the original posting of this thread:
How can FPGAs envigorate individual or personal design activity?
Let's pool ideas, and not complain about our kids and grandkids.
Many of them are smarter than we are.
Peter Alfke, from home
===================

From: Rob on
Peter:

I appreciate your comments. But do you know how many great civilizations
have come and gone since Socrates, including his [Socrates] own? I'm an old
patriot and my response was mainly driven by my frustration of what I see as
a possible future for this great country. I work for a fortune 500 company
and I don't see many young Americans coming in for internships. I have also
worked with one of our local well-renonowed colleges and I see a majority of
students with visas filling the class rooms, not young Americans. Yes,
there are many great engineers in this country ,and doubtless there will be
many more, but I fear that those numbers will fall.

And don't mis-interpret my message: I'm not against anyone coming to this
country to get an education. To re-state, I'm just frustrated with our
primary education system.

My apologies for deviating from the topic--it just hit a nerve.

Take care,
Rob

From: Jim Granville on
I've had some interesting conversations with Tutors, and one point they
make for the lack of inflows, is the 'appliance' nature of much of
the electronics.
No one enters tertiary education expecting to design a stereo, or TV,
plus much of what potential students see is disposable, or close to
disposable.
Then the Dot-bomb tended to tar all technology companies with the same
brush, and the industry is still clawing back from that.

That's why I believe such 'early/wide student' demos, need to have at
least one block that has a wide audience. ie something they can show
their parents, or apply to a club, or sport.

GPS-option Stopwatch is one such item : Give them time displays to the
low ns, just to remind potential students of the reach of the time-domain.
- and make it simple enough for even schools to run as 'canned examples'.

-jg

From: Kolja Sulimma on
Tobias Weingartner schrieb:

>>so there are reasons for keeping the bitstream non public.

> I happen to disagree. We are all entitled to our opinions of course.
> If the vendors would have a well defined format to "compile" to, and
> a good library/port for a program to be able to take this format and
> then generate a bitstream, that would be a start. Note, I'd want to
> have the source available to be so that I could port this last bit of
> "technology" to my favourite OS (by choice or necessity).
>
> I can't believe that these things are anything but simple portable ANSI
> C (or some derivative)...

JBits is a solution to all this. Maybe not a particulary good one, but
you can read, modify, write bitstreams in a platform independant way.
There is no source code available, but java bytecode that you can
essentially call by any language you want on any platform you want.

There are even people at xilinx working on a virtual file system to
mount and modify the configuration of a virtex-4 by the embedded PowerPC.

Kolja Sulimma
From: Symon on

"Scott & Brenda Burris" <slburris(a)earthlink.net> wrote in message
> I'm also one of those rebirth hobbyists.
>
> I was a hobbyist up until the mid to late 80's. Probably the most
> ambitious stuff I tried was a 68020 board with dynamic ram, running at
> 16Mhz, all on a big wire-wrap board. Back then, the board was stuffed
> with LSTTL chips. The board was none too reliable -- flex it the wrong
> way, and something broke. But on a good day, it worked.

Scott,
I'm genuinely surprised. In my experience, wire-wrap boards were the most
reliable boards I've ever had. Especially if you took the time to train the
technician how to wire-wrap properly. The hardest point was trying to stop
them grouping the wires together into "crosstalk-of-death" busses instead of
just connecting them point-to-point. Second hardest was banging into their
heads to connect multi-drop traces every other section first, so you can rip
up and re-route easier later on. Happy days!
Cheers, Syms.