From: Tobias Weingartner on
Brian Drummond wrote:

> FPGA capacities should now be big enough to support a "virtual FPGA"
> layer on top of a real FPGA, using only the "public" parts of the
> bitstream (e.g BRAM and SRL16 contents, possibly a subset of the
> routing) to give a completely open format. Possibly a virtual XC6200,
> but probably a coarser grained architecture (mini-Spartan perhaps).
> I wonder what size Spartan-3 you would need for a virtual XC6264?

At that point, why not create an ASIC... (yeah, price, etc, etc)

--
[100~Plax]sb16i0A2172656B63616820636420726568746F6E61207473754A[dZ1!=b]salax
From: Peter Alfke on
Tobias, this subject has been discussed ad nauseam, in this newsgroup
and elsewhere.
The reason for the "secrecy" is not so much fear of giving away secrets
to a competitor, but rather fear of becoming inundated with support
issues. We have about 100,000 designers using our parts, a few dozen
of them exploring and abusing subtle aspects could easily bring our
support hotline (and this newsgroup) to its knees.
Also, the non-open nature of the bitstream provides our customers a
certain level of security against reverse-engineering rip-off.
Our primary obligation is to remain an innovative and profitable
company, to the benefit of our customers, our employees, and our
shareholders. Satisfying exotic academic research is fine, as long as
it does not conflict with the primary obligation.
Just my personal opinion...
Peter Alfke

From: Scott & Brenda Burris on
I'm also one of those rebirth hobbyists.

I was a hobbyist up until the mid to late 80's. Probably the most
ambitious stuff I tried was a 68020 board with dynamic ram, running at
16Mhz, all on a big wire-wrap board. Back then, the board was stuffed
with LSTTL chips. The board was none too reliable -- flex it the wrong
way, and something broke. But on a good day, it worked.

I tried to make some improvements for reliability. I played with
bipolar PALs. Expensive, and I really hated throwing them away when I
made a mistake in programming them. I also tried making my own double
sided printed circuit boards. Lithographic film, developed in a close
bathroom in my apartment. Needless to say, making and drilling these
boards was a fiasco.

So I just stored all my parts away for 15 years or so.

What's changed to get me back into this hobby? Three things.

1) Flash programmable microcontrollers, i.e. PICs and AVRs. None of
this burning EPROM business anymore. No wiring up SRAM or DRAM. Just
program and go.

2) Low cost schematic/PCB design software and PCB boardhouses. I
wouldn't even attempt to make my own boards anymore. And I can get 6
and 8 layer boards, something I'd never attempt as a hobbyist. Woohoo!
Soldering those SMD components is a bit of a challenge, especially the
PQFP208 packages. Of course there are some interesting things in BGA
packages, but I haven't reached the level of craziness to try the
toaster over reflow method.

3) FPGA's! I last looked at programmable logic in the bipolar PAL days.
I happened to be looking through a Digikey catalog one day and noticed
stuff from a company called Xilinx. Hmm, checked their website. Hey,
this is pretty neat stuff! And since Digikey (and Xilinx to a limited
extent, hint, hint) allow small orders, I can actually get parts. In
the 80's, I often had to try going though a rep or Big Distributor, and
most wouldn't deal with me at all.

So nowdays, I typically design a board with a microcontroller on it,
slap a Spartan chip of some sort on it as well, and worry about how to
make it work later. Aside from a few early gotchas, like trying to use
an input only pin on an FPGA as an output, this has worked very well.

I've weaned myself away from schematics for CPLD/FPGA design and taught
myself VHDL. To me at least, it's a very different mindset to think in,
but it's getting easier as I do more designs. I still struggle with
VHDL which looks legal but isn't quite right for synthesis, trying to
interpret some obscure message from WebPack.

Now I'm looking to do even more. I keep checking to see when the Spartan
3E board is available. I've worked with the Spartan 3 eval board from
Digilent, so I'm anxious to see what's next.

And then there's the little matter of the ML403 kit Xilinx offers with
the Virtex 4 FX and the EDK. As a hobbyist, I'm cringing at the thought
of putting $895 into this. At the same time, I'm going, hmm, what could
I do with the PowerPC chip or the MicroBlaze? Hmm, no it's too much
money.... But I keep thinking about it :-) I know Xilinx doesn't
really target people like me, but I keep hoping for a half-price sale or
a hobby bundle on the ML403 (no support, no commercial use or you give
up your first born, etc).

Cheers,

Scott

slburris(a)earthlink.net

In article <1137338637.940229.315040(a)g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
coreyhahn(a)gmail.com says...

From: Ray Andraka on
Tobias Weingartner wrote:

> I happen to disagree. We are all entitled to our opinions of course.
> If the vendors would have a well defined format to "compile" to, and
> a good library/port for a program to be able to take this format and
> then generate a bitstream, that would be a start. Note, I'd want to
> have the source available to be so that I could port this last bit of
> "technology" to my favourite OS (by choice or necessity).
>
> I can't believe that these things are anything but simple portable ANSI
> C (or some derivative)...

The problem is the bitstream is very tightly tied to the architecture of
the FPGA cell. Having a well defined format tightly constrains the FPGA
architecture to the one the bitstream format is published for. What
that means is that either the format has to change for every fpga
variant out there, now and in the future, or the FPGA has to be frozen
in order to comply with the bitstream format.

There is far more coupling between the bitstream in an FPGA and its
hardware than there is between an instruction set and a processor
architecture because of the fine granularity of the configuration of the
FPGA. In other words, an instruction set in a microprocessor controls
relatively few connections between some very complex blocks. The FPGA
bit stream controls many many connections between lots of small simple
blocks, so if the bitstream format is predefined by a standard there is
very little lattitude for evolving the FPGA's structure.

I'm not sure I see what the big push for having bitstream access is.
I've yet to see a compelling need for it that is not addressed by the
existing tools (there is always XDL if you really want to bit bang).
The only reason that seems to surface is to allow outside parties to
develop their own place and route tools. Frankly, I don't think the
complexity of modern FPGAs is such that this type of undertaking can
improve on or even compete with the free place and route tools already
offered by the FPGA vendors in the timeframe between device introduction
and obsolescence. Anyway, for those hadry enough to try, as I said, the
XDL tools do give you enough access to every step of the design flow to
allow you to play with any step you feel compelled to play with.

From: Rob on
Hobbyists. Now there's a term you don't often hear amongst the next
generation. If the hobbyist is going to make a comeback in this country
(US) it is going to take more than a low-cost, high capability FPGA. With
the watered down public education serving up a non-challenging, push them
through curriculum, what hope is there for technologists in this country
over the next few decades?

Do you know how many times I've walked into a gas station and encountered a
teen who can't carry through on a simple transaction? The youth today
aren't--for the most part--go getters: they lack direction, motivation, and
personal responsibilty. They are not problem-solvers, they're
problem-makers who go though life thinking that somebody is always going to
wipe their backside. Give them a kit of parts and ask them to make it
work-ha! They might have to read a book!

It has been reported that high school graduates are increasingly choosing
non-technical fields to major in. The technical fields are too challenging,
require too much work, and interfere with the 50hrs/week of playing video
games. Where are the Heathkitter's of the next generation?

I've ranted long enough...........................