From: Austin Lesea on
Kevin,

Actually, I do have some possible places for you to go look:

University robotics competitions

The DARPA intelligent vehicle crowd (Berkeley's motorcycle used V2 Pro
for vision, just too bad they used a two wheel vehicle, and it fell over
and were disqualified!). The Mars rovers used Virtex' for control, but
they have six wheels!

Amateur radio software defined radio: ARRL Magazine has their technical
rag, http://www.arrl.org/qex/

which has had articles of SDR using both Xilinx and Altera FPGAs. There
is even a hobby project SDR that comes with a FPGA.

Good luck,

Austin
From: Anonymous on
Don't have the time for an interview but I think you need to revise your
time line. I was etching my own PC boards, hand assembling boards, and
burning my own proms up to the early 90s. The "dark age" was probably in the
90s when everything switched over to surface mount.

I think the renaissance now is hacking WITHOUT a soldering iron, e.g.
hacking tivo or ipod software, building custom mame video machines,
re-flashing boxes like linksys routers, etc.

From: Mike Harrison on
On 12 Jan 2006 12:15:13 -0800, "Kevin Morris" <kevin(a)techfocusmedia.com> wrote:

>I'm writing a feature article for FPGA Journal (www.fpgajournal.com)
>about FPGAs and the re-birth of the electronics hobbyist. My theory is
>that electronics as a hobby went through a "dark age" period, maybe
>from the early/mid 1970s until recently becuase of the inaccessibility
>and cost of designing with state-of-the-art technology. Radio Shack
>shifted their focus from 50-in-1 project kits and hobbyist parts to
>selling toys, cell-phones, and stereo equipment.

I think it was more about the fact that it became less possible to build things for less money than
you could buy them for...

>Now, with the emergence of low-cost, high-capability FPGAs, development
>boards, and design software, I see a new age of hobbyist activity
>beginning (as often evidenced in this group).
>
>I'm looking for a few people that would be willing to express views on
>this topic for the article.
>
>I know, Austin will probably post a strong technical argument that
>Xilinx FPGAs are uniquely attractive to the hobbyist, somebody from
>Altera will send me a Cubic Cyclonium prototyping paperweight (they're
>very cool), and Actel and Lattice people will post just to remind us
>that they have low-cost kits too, but I'm primarily interested in some
>info from real, live, "working" hobbyists.
>
>Any takers?

I assume you are aware of www.fpga4fun.com - you should certainly ask for input there.

A few assorted ramblings, in no particular order....

I think a major development has been the availability of free devtools - for a long, long time PLDs
and later FPGAs were the exclusive territory of the professionals due to the high entry cost of the
software, not to mention the steep learning curve and cost of the computing power needed at the
time. Few hobbyists would have the patience to wait through multi-hour compile times.

I think the FPGA hobbyist thing has happened more by accident than anything else due to the
availability of cheap devboards and free software, rather than any conscious effort by FPGA
suppliers.
I don't think the FPGA companies have yet really woken up to the needs of the low-volume user
market. Contrast this with companies like Microchip in the MCU arena, who have always had a policy
of supporting the lower volume users, not necessarily hobbyists in particular, but by catering for
low-volumes this happens anyway - easy availability of chips in sensible packages at low volumes
makes a big difference, and many hobbyist/student users go on to be professional users, which in
the long term has to be good for the business of the companies whose products they first started
playing with .

I'm a little surprised that we haven't yet seen (well not that I've noticed - apologies if I've
missed you...) any of the many hobbyist oriented suppliers that have appeared in the MCU area in
recent years start looking at making very low cost FPGA boards - for example a PCB with a 40 pin DIL
footprint containing a small FPGA, config device and JTAG connector maybe be quite popular.
As long as FPGAs are the preserve of distributors like Avnet, low-volume/hobbyist takeup is going to
be limited. Packaging is an obvoius barrier, and I doubt that many FPGA hobbyists venture further
than using ready-made demo boards.

On the other hand I also wonder how many hobbyists actually have a need for the speed and power that
an FPGA provides - there are so many fun thnigs that can be done with microcontrollers, how many
hobbyists have the time and inclination to venture into the sort of speeds and complexities that
need FPGAS (and have the test gear to support it).

I would be somewhat skeptical about FPGAs being anything to do with a 'rebirth of the electronics
hobbyist', if such a rebirth is indeed occurring. Unless maybe you consider a move by some of the
people that were messing with MCUs into FPGAs a shift from a software to a hardware activity, which
is tenuous at best..! OK, a few hobbyists are moving into work that is of much greater complexity
than was possible without FPGAs but I doubt that there are many who have seen FPGAs as a way into
electronics in general.

From a personal point of view, although an electronics professional, I also manage to do the
occasional hobby project, and recently ventured into the world FPGAs for a project that would simply
not have been worth the effort doing without the availability of a cheap FPGA devboard and software
to base it on : www.electricstuff.co.uk/ektapro.html (lower half of page), and I already have plans
for another couple of 'fun' FPGA projects.

From: Phil Tomson on
In article <1137096913.255199.239090(a)o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>,
Kevin Morris <kevin(a)techfocusmedia.com> wrote:
>I'm writing a feature article for FPGA Journal (www.fpgajournal.com)
>about FPGAs and the re-birth of the electronics hobbyist. My theory is
>that electronics as a hobby went through a "dark age" period, maybe
>from the early/mid 1970s until recently becuase of the inaccessibility
>and cost of designing with state-of-the-art technology. Radio Shack
>shifted their focus from 50-in-1 project kits and hobbyist parts to
>selling toys, cell-phones, and stereo equipment.

Well, I would say that the 'dark age' began more in the early to mid 80's when
everything started going surface mount. Lots of people experimented with 74XX
parts back when they were in DIP packages.

>Now, with the emergence of low-cost, high-capability FPGAs, development
>boards, and design software, I see a new age of hobbyist activity
>beginning (as often evidenced in this group).
>
>I'm looking for a few people that would be willing to express views on
>this topic for the article.
>
>I know, Austin will probably post a strong technical argument that
>Xilinx FPGAs are uniquely attractive to the hobbyist, somebody from
>Altera will send me a Cubic Cyclonium prototyping paperweight (they're
>very cool), and Actel and Lattice people will post just to remind us
>that they have low-cost kits too, but I'm primarily interested in some
>info from real, live, "working" hobbyists.

it doesn't matter who makes the kits, per se, it's the fact that for $100 now
you can buy an FPGA starter kit with 300,000 to 400,000 gates or so (and a
good amount of memory). I really think the Xilinxs, Alteras, Lattices, etc. don't
know what they've got. Perhaps they don't want to be bothered with a
consumer/hobbyist market, however, I think that a company like Radio Shack
could really capitalize on this: kind of like a return to the 50-in-1 project
kits we had as kids, only now it could be 50,000 in one with an FPGA board,
memory, USB interface, etc. They could setup a website where people could
download & share code. They could sell addons: sensor boards, etc. Given the
success of Lego Mindstorms (and there's the new Lego NXT robotics kits coming
out this summer) it seems to me that there is an opportunity for consumer level
FPGA kit priced under $200.

Software engineers could be a good market for an FPGA kit aimed at
helping them to create hardware accelerators for software - maybe a relatively
small market right now, but it could really grow if hardware acceleration
became 'easy' (or at least 'easier').

Also, look at the success of Make magazine: it seems to indicate that there's
potentially a big market of makers, tinkerers, hardware hackers, etc.

>Any takers?

I think the advent of open source FPGA related design software will also help
bring in more hobbyists.

Phil

From: Peter Alfke on
I have struggled for decades to come up with enticing demo projects for
digital circuits, and I have made my rules:
It must be something that cannot be done with just a microprocessor.
That means it must be something fast. Audio, video, radio, robotics
come to mind.
Or, for FPGAs, it must be a platform that allows all sorts of
variations. Like the Swis Army knife of electronics.
Most likely it must be something that appeals to a limited number of
people. That way the toy industry has not yet made it available for $
9.99. (That was the death of some of my keyboard synthesizer projects
in the 'seventies.)
I think a secondary light-triggered (slave) flash unit would be very
useful for all those small digital cameras, but that does not need an
FPGA... :-(
Peter Alfke