From: John Larkin on
On 12 Jan 2006 12:15:13 -0800, "Kevin Morris"
<kevin(a)techfocusmedia.com> wrote:

>I'm writing a feature article for FPGA Journal (www.fpgajournal.com)
>about FPGAs and the re-birth of the electronics hobbyist. My theory is
>that electronics as a hobby went through a "dark age" period, maybe
>from the early/mid 1970s until recently becuase of the inaccessibility
>and cost of designing with state-of-the-art technology. Radio Shack
>shifted their focus from 50-in-1 project kits and hobbyist parts to
>selling toys, cell-phones, and stereo equipment.
>
>Now, with the emergence of low-cost, high-capability FPGAs, development
>boards, and design software, I see a new age of hobbyist activity
>beginning (as often evidenced in this group).
>
>I'm looking for a few people that would be willing to express views on
>this topic for the article.
>
>I know, Austin will probably post a strong technical argument that
>Xilinx FPGAs are uniquely attractive to the hobbyist, somebody from
>Altera will send me a Cubic Cyclonium prototyping paperweight (they're
>very cool), and Actel and Lattice people will post just to remind us
>that they have low-cost kits too, but I'm primarily interested in some
>info from real, live, "working" hobbyists.
>
>Any takers?

I *used* to be an electronics hobbyist, but now I do it full-time.

The trend here is increasingly towards digital and software,
increasingly away from actual electricity. The tools of choice become
PCs and green eyeshades, same as the gear needed to be an accountant.

This is partly because it's less messy, and because universities can
replace expensive lab benches and test equipment with cheap laptop PCs
that the students have to buy themselves. Hell, you can get an "EE"
degree now without studying electromagnetics!

I walked through the EE department at Cornell and counted screens. PC
screens outnumbered oscilloscope screens by about 6:1.

That's fine by me: I design instrumentation that's analog intense, and
the uPs and FPGAs play supporting roles. But a lot of kids are missing
the luxury boat if the only numbers they know how to count are 0 and
1.

John

From: daniveras on
Hello Kevin,

You are welcome to contact me directly. You know what they say about
opinions... I have one, too. You can check out my hobby-ish activites
at:

http://www.fpga-games.com (self-funded hobby)
http:///www.engr.sjsu.edu/crabill (some funds from Ahhhnold and the
State of California)

I'm standing on the shoulders of great people like Mr. Mike J from FPGA
Arcade over at:

http://www.fpgaarcade.com

Also, I think another very interesting product for recreational
learning is the XGS, see:

http://www.xgamestation.com

Of course, you could implement the whole XGS in a small FPGA, but for
someone with a CS background (or none at all) a product like the XGS
might be a very enticing first step into the world of electronics.

Eric Crabill
Speaking for Myself

From: Symon on
"John Larkin" <jjlarkin(a)highNOTlandTHIStechnologyPART.com> wrote in message

> I walked through the EE department at Cornell and counted screens. PC
> screens outnumbered oscilloscope screens by about 6:1.
>
> That's fine by me: I design instrumentation that's analog intense, and
> the uPs and FPGAs play supporting roles. But a lot of kids are missing
> the luxury boat if the only numbers they know how to count are 0 and
> 1.

Hi John,
I design the same stuff. However, I find I'm using my PC more and more.
Simulating it and getting the design right first spin is much nicer than
fixing it later, at least that's what the CEO says. I have software on my PC
that (I hear) uses lots of 0's and 1's together to model real numbers.
Lovely! ;-)
Cheers, Syms.
p.s. But you're right. I don't own a boat.

From: John Larkin on
On Fri, 13 Jan 2006 16:56:20 -0000, "Symon" <symon_brewer(a)hotmail.com>
wrote:

>"John Larkin" <jjlarkin(a)highNOTlandTHIStechnologyPART.com> wrote in message
>>
>> I walked through the EE department at Cornell and counted screens. PC
>> screens outnumbered oscilloscope screens by about 6:1.
>>
>> That's fine by me: I design instrumentation that's analog intense, and
>> the uPs and FPGAs play supporting roles. But a lot of kids are missing
>> the luxury boat if the only numbers they know how to count are 0 and
>> 1.
>>
>Hi John,
>I design the same stuff. However, I find I'm using my PC more and more.
>Simulating it and getting the design right first spin is much nicer than
>fixing it later, at least that's what the CEO says. I have software on my PC
>that (I hear) uses lots of 0's and 1's together to model real numbers.
>Lovely! ;-)
>Cheers, Syms.
>p.s. But you're right. I don't own a boat.

So, I wonder, how many people here are exclusively logic designers,
and how many are more general EEs, who deal with the analog, power,
thermal, and other aspects of electronic design?

John

From: Jon Elson on

Kevin Morris wrote:

>I'm writing a feature article for FPGA Journal (www.fpgajournal.com)
>about FPGAs and the re-birth of the electronics hobbyist. My theory is
>that electronics as a hobby went through a "dark age" period, maybe

Well, I'm not really a hobbyist, but a VERY small business (just me, and
sometimes
a part-timer to help solder boards.) But, the level of stuff I'm doing
(in my home
business) is maybe close to hobby level. You might look at my web pages on
that project, and see if it is of interest :
http://pico-systems.com/motion.html
All of the "control" or "controller" products have at least one FPGA in
them.
The PPMC has one FPGA and 2 CPLDs for the basic set. No way could I have
done these without FPGAs. I have never used a development board, just
bludgeoned
ahead with my best guess of what the prototype should look like. And,
just 2-layer
boards, too.

Jon