From: Antti Lukats on

From: fpgaarcade on
Thank you for the kind words Eric.
P.S. has everyone read Eric's article about FPGA Gaming in XCELL?
http://www.xilinx.com/publications/xcellonline/xcell_54/xc_pdf/xc_atari54.pdf

From: Brian Drummond on
On 15 Jan 2006 21:39:16 GMT, ptkwt(a)aracnet.com (Phil Tomson) wrote:

>In article <slrndsgqr4.i5.weingart(a)irricana.cs.ualberta.ca>,
>Tobias Weingartner <weingart(a)cs.ualberta.ca> wrote:
>>Kevin Morris wrote:
>>>
>>> Any takers?
>>
>>Real/Complete programming information would be a very good start to a new
>>hobby phase. But I think that all the FPGA vendors are too scared to give
>>out this information. Come on, xilinx, altera, etc, etc. What could there
>>possibly be so secret in the format for how to program your parts? :)
>>

>Indeed. I don't get it either. How much can be reverse engineered from a
>bitstream format? This closedness is a real hindrance to the development of
>an open source eco-system around FPGAs.

Last really open system was the XC6200. But it failed commercially, at
least in part, because it was a finer grained architecture.

FPGA capacities should now be big enough to support a "virtual FPGA"
layer on top of a real FPGA, using only the "public" parts of the
bitstream (e.g BRAM and SRL16 contents, possibly a subset of the
routing) to give a completely open format. Possibly a virtual XC6200,
but probably a coarser grained architecture (mini-Spartan perhaps).
I wonder what size Spartan-3 you would need for a virtual XC6264?

This would lose a lot of capacity and performance (you may need several
LUTs dedicated to routing for every one you can use for logic) but the
result is likely to be at least competitive with the sort of technology
a startup or small player has on offer.

I think it would be big enough to exercise open source development tools
until something better came along...

- Brian

From: Antti Lukats on
Brian Drummond" <brian_drummond(a)btconnect.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> On 15 Jan 2006 21:39:16 GMT, ptkwt(a)aracnet.com (Phil Tomson) wrote:
>
>>In article <slrndsgqr4.i5.weingart(a)irricana.cs.ualberta.ca>,
>>Tobias Weingartner <weingart(a)cs.ualberta.ca> wrote:

>>>Real/Complete programming information would be a very good start to a new
>>>hobby phase. But I think that all the FPGA vendors are too scared to
>>>give
>>>out this information. Come on, xilinx, altera, etc, etc. What could
>>>there
>>>possibly be so secret in the format for how to program your parts? :)
>>>

>>Indeed. I don't get it either. How much can be reverse engineered from a
>>bitstream format? This closedness is a real hindrance to the development
>>of
>>an open source eco-system around FPGAs.
>
> Last really open system was the XC6200. But it failed commercially, at
> least in part, because it was a finer grained architecture.
>
> FPGA capacities should now be big enough to support a "virtual FPGA"
> layer on top of a real FPGA, using only the "public" parts of the
> bitstream (e.g BRAM and SRL16 contents, possibly a subset of the
> routing) to give a completely open format. Possibly a virtual XC6200,
> but probably a coarser grained architecture (mini-Spartan perhaps).
> I wonder what size Spartan-3 you would need for a virtual XC6264?
>
> This would lose a lot of capacity and performance (you may need several
> LUTs dedicated to routing for every one you can use for logic) but the
> result is likely to be at least competitive with the sort of technology
> a startup or small player has on offer.
>
> I think it would be big enough to exercise open source development tools
> until something better came along...
>
> - Brian

it has already been done there was MPGA project that implemented a virtual
"Meta" FPGA
the project is dead vanished/vanishing but its a nice a example of the use
of SRL16 for
virtual FPGA loading

its however far more interessant to implement dynamic bitstream generator
that patches
some parts of the ready made bitstream to modify the algorithm this needs to
no
resources to be vasted for the download of the new config.

--
Antti Lukats
http://www.xilant.com

From: Tobias Weingartner on
In article <dqflq9$sfp$01$1(a)news.t-online.com>, Antti Lukats wrote:

> Phil, Atmel AT40K/AT94K bitstream format is almost open
> eg it is available under NDA from Atmel, and open source reverse engineered
> documentation is also available - no NDA :)

Hmm... will google show me this? :)

> As of BIG FPGA companies making their bitstream format public - do not hope!
>
> second there are factory test bits and settings, again something that the
> end user should not mess up

All the better to have documentation, no?

> so there are reasons for keeping the bitstream non public.

I happen to disagree. We are all entitled to our opinions of course.
If the vendors would have a well defined format to "compile" to, and
a good library/port for a program to be able to take this format and
then generate a bitstream, that would be a start. Note, I'd want to
have the source available to be so that I could port this last bit of
"technology" to my favourite OS (by choice or necessity).

I can't believe that these things are anything but simple portable ANSI
C (or some derivative)...

--
[100~Plax]sb16i0A2172656B63616820636420726568746F6E61207473754A[dZ1!=b]salax