From: Alex Gibson on

"Eric Smith" <eric(a)brouhaha.com> wrote in message
> "Peter Alfke" <peter(a)xilinx.com> writes:
>> I have struggled for decades to come up with enticing demo projects for
>> digital circuits, and I have made my rules:
>> It must be something that cannot be done with just a microprocessor.
>> That means it must be something fast. Audio, video, radio, robotics
>> come to mind.
>
> What? No traffic lights and vending machines? :-)
>
> It's always entertaining when people pop up in various newsgroups
> (including this one), wanting help with their vending machine project,
> and insisting that it isn't homework.

But why would you set one of these as an assignment as there are
lots of such projects on the net?

Alex

From: Eric Smith on

Alex Gibson wrote:
> But why would you set one of these as an assignment as there are
> lots of such projects on the net?

If I were an instructor, I certainly wouldn't use those assignments.
From: Tobias Weingartner on
Peter Alfke wrote:

> Tobias Weingartner wrote:
> > The only advice I was hoping to offer was one of "please reconsider opening
> > the bitstream format".
> >
> Tobias, just to remind you, the following is what you wrote,
> and that is what I strongly take exception to:
>
> "I'm no VLSI designer, but I can't imagine that putting
> a simple AES engine onto the FPGA, along with some OTP ram for the key,
>
> would take any significant room. As a bonus, you may be able to offer
> the simple AES engine for the FPGA to use once programming is done."
>
> That's what I call simplistic and un-informed advice.
> I want to avoid the bovine excrement word...

Call it as you see it. I tend to. And since you are much more
versed as to what is possible and/or easy/big/small, I'll defer
to your expertise on the matter above. Sorry to cause a stir.

Still... can I get the bitstream info? :)

--
[100~Plax]sb16i0A2172656B63616820636420726568746F6E61207473754A[dZ1!=b]salax
From: Antti Lukats on
"Tobias Weingartner" <weingart(a)cs.ualberta.ca> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> Peter Alfke wrote:
>>
>> Tobias Weingartner wrote:
>> > The only advice I was hoping to offer was one of "please reconsider
>> > opening
>> > the bitstream format".
>> >
>> Tobias, just to remind you, the following is what you wrote,
>> and that is what I strongly take exception to:
>>
>> "I'm no VLSI designer, but I can't imagine that putting
>> a simple AES engine onto the FPGA, along with some OTP ram for the key,
>>
>> would take any significant room. As a bonus, you may be able to offer
>> the simple AES engine for the FPGA to use once programming is done."
>>
>> That's what I call simplistic and un-informed advice.
>> I want to avoid the bovine excrement word...
>
> Call it as you see it. I tend to. And since you are much more
> versed as to what is possible and/or easy/big/small, I'll defer
> to your expertise on the matter above. Sorry to cause a stir.
>
> Still... can I get the bitstream info? :)

No, Tobias, you can not. The price of what you are asking is higher then you
realize.

If you want it, you will have to get it by reverse engineering.

Antti

From: Kevin Morris on
I want to thank everyone for their thoughtful, insightful, and
provocative responses to my query. We've covered everything from
politics to education to (strange as it seems) FPGAs. I've already
contacted a number of you directly (and have a few more on my list),
and I'm excited about the article.

I'll post here when it's ready for publication, and we can all start a
new thread about how badly I missed the boat.

Thanks again!

Kevin