From: Martin v. Loewis on
> TkInter -> Tcl -> Tk -> Xlib
>
> Is the Tcl intepreter really need to use this GUI? Why not:
>
> (Pyton ->) Tkinter-API -> Xlib ?

Even if this was possible (which it is not), then you still would need
the Tcl interpreter: significant parts of Tk are written in Tcl, so
Tk won't work without the Tcl interpreter.

However, the Tk API doesn't provide all functionality that Tkinter
exposes; many features can only be invoked through Tcl.

Regards,
Martin
From: Grant Edwards on
On 2010-06-08, Martin v. Loewis <martin(a)v.loewis.de> wrote:
>> TkInter -> Tcl -> Tk -> Xlib
>>
>> Is the Tcl intepreter really need to use this GUI? Why not:
>>
>> (Pyton ->) Tkinter-API -> Xlib ?
>
> Even if this was possible (which it is not)

Why is it not possible? It seems to have been done for other
languages.

> then you still would need the Tcl interpreter: significant parts of
> Tk are written in Tcl, so Tk won't work without the Tcl interpreter.
>
> However, the Tk API doesn't provide all functionality that Tkinter
> exposes; many features can only be invoked through Tcl.

True. Were Tcl removed from the equation, then some feautures would
have to be re-implemented in Python.

--
Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! I've read SEVEN
at MILLION books!!
From: Ethan Furman on
Grant Edwards wrote:
> On 2010-06-08, Martin v. Loewis <martin(a)v.loewis.de> wrote:
>>> TkInter -> Tcl -> Tk -> Xlib
>>>
>>> Is the Tcl intepreter really need to use this GUI? Why not:
>>>
>>> (Pyton ->) Tkinter-API -> Xlib ?
>> Even if this was possible (which it is not)
>
> Why is it not possible? It seems to have been done for other
> languages.
>
>> then you still would need the Tcl interpreter: significant parts of
>> Tk are written in Tcl, so Tk won't work without the Tcl interpreter.
>>
>> However, the Tk API doesn't provide all functionality that Tkinter
>> exposes; many features can only be invoked through Tcl.
>
> True. Were Tcl removed from the equation, then some feautures would
> have to be re-implemented in Python.

So what functionality is available from Tk alone? From the very cursory
glance at the source files (mostly the readmes), it seems pretty
entwined with Tcl.

~Ethan~
From: Kevin Walzer on
On 6/8/10 11:17 AM, bart.c wrote:

> Some people aren't interested in the amazing language. Only the graphics
> API that goes with it.

The Perl folks have stripped the Tk API away from Tcl with the Perl-Tk
GUI package: the result is no embedded Tcl interpreter, but it's also
hard to maintain. In fact, Perl-Tk has never been updated to run
natively on the Mac because of this. There are other Perl/Tk bindings
that do integrate the Tcl interpreter, and it makes it much easier for
the Perl/Tk bindings to evolve as Tk itself evolves.

--
Kevin Walzer
Code by Kevin
From: Lie Ryan on
On 06/09/10 01:17, bart.c wrote:

> "Grant Edwards" <invalid(a)invalid.invalid> wrote in message
>> On 2010-06-08, Kevin Walzer <kw(a)codebykevin.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Since Tk already provides a basic GUI toolset, and Python can interface
>>> with it more directly than it can with other toolkits
>>> (PyGui -> PyGtk -> Gtk -> Xlib),
>>
>> Compare that to this:
>>
>> TkInter -> Tcl -> Tk -> Xlib
>
> Is the Tcl intepreter really need to use this GUI? Why not:
>
> (Pyton ->) Tkinter-API -> Xlib ?
>
> Most of the work of designing a GUI is, well, designing it. That's
> already been done for Tkinter so why not just implement the same spec in
> Python (with whatever lower-level code is needed). Then extending it
> should be simpler.
>
>>> it's not clear to me what is gained by starting from scratch here.
>>> (Is it the presence of the Tcl interpreter? I know Tcl is not to
>>> everyone's taste, but it is an amazing language...)
>
> Some people aren't interested in the amazing language. Only the graphics
> API that goes with it.

How about shifting the viewpoint a little bit. Tcl is like regular
expression engine and the Tk is like the re API.

Much like regex a DSL for matching text, Tcl/Tk is pretty much a DSL for
creating GUI (anyone knows any real program fully written in
non-embedded Tcl?).

Nobody complains that python included a regular expression engine in its
standard distribution; so why complain that python included a Tcl
expression engine in its standard distribution.