From: geremy condra on
On Wed, Jun 9, 2010 at 2:12 AM, Robert Kern <robert.kern(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On 6/9/10 1:12 AM, rantingrick wrote:

<snip>

>> But you know i think it boils down to fear really. He is comfortable
>> in his life and wishes to keep it as cookie cutter as he can. Any
>> outside influence must be quashed before these meddling forces can
>> take hold of him. He is so fearful of seeing the light in an opposing
>> argument that blinding himself from reality is easier than facing
>> reality.
>
> Ah, so you are a psychoanalyst, too? Amazing!

How do you think he mad so many incorrect predictions, eh?

Geremy Condra
From: Gregory Ewing on
Martin P. Hellwig wrote:

> I do think it is technically possible to have your own window manager in
> python on x11 but I have no idea if you have equal possibilities on mac
> and windows (for example to define your own window decoration).
> Though considering tk does just that I would guess this to be the case.

To my knowledge, neither Windows nor MacOSX have a replaceable
window manager in the sense that X11 does. However, it's always
possible for an application to create a window with none of the
standard borders or decorations and fake them itself, which is
what I expect Tk is doing here.

--
Greg
From: Gregory Ewing on
Lie Ryan wrote:

> Much like regex a DSL for matching text, Tcl/Tk is pretty much a DSL for
> creating GUI

I can't see any things about the tcl language that make
it especially good for describing GUIs, and even if
there were such things, Tkinter pretty much hides the
existence of tcl completely, so you wouldn't get any
advantage from them in Python anyway.

(And BTW the DSL conventionally used to express regexps is
*horrible* for anything but the very simplest ones, IMO.)

--
Greg
From: rantingrick on
On Jun 9, 3:18 am, Gregory Ewing <greg.ew...(a)canterbury.ac.nz> wrote:

> I can't see any things about the tcl language that make
> it especially good for describing GUIs,

And neither can i. And thats because Tcl's syntax is great for
obfuscation and really nothing more.

Anyone who thinks differently i encourage you to put a Tkinter and
TclTk script of the same GUI side by side and you'll see exactly what
i mean. It's like night and day! Sure Python does make you type a lot
more text but in the end (when maintenance time comes around) which
would YOU rather debug?

And just think, if the balance of the world ever came down to a thumb
wrestling contest. Well then all that finger exercise will pay off
enormously! ;-)
From: Lie Ryan on
On 06/09/10 08:20, Martin P. Hellwig wrote:

> However I don't think that x11 represents that majority (just a gut
> feeling I have no data to back this claim up) of gui users, so an equal
> solution should be found for windows and macs.
>
> I do think it is technically possible to have your own window manager in
> python on x11 but I have no idea if you have equal possibilities on mac

Doesn't Mac uses an X server as well?