First  |  Prev |
Pages: 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58
Getting started with Debian - help with Xwindows
I've been meaning to install one of the Linux distros for some time, but when I decided to do it a few days ago it was apparent that the packaged distros I had were getting a bit old, so I set about a network installation of Debian. I downloaded floppy images and created bootable disks. Ran the installation and ... 25 Oct 2006 22:51
top - high load
We have this problem on our database machine where the load average shown by 'top' goes very high ( > 100) at random times and the database becomes really slow. We're trying to find out which process could be causing this load. For some reason, top does not show any processes that could be suspects. It shows only 2... 31 Aug 2006 17:11
BIOS detects 4 GB RAM, but kernel does not
Hello, On a dual core Pentium 4 EM64T machine (Intel Desktop Board D915GAV), we used four 1GB RAM (DDR 400) modules. The BIOS (EV91510A.86A.0444) detected all the four 1 GB modules, but once the OS is booted, only ~3.1GB is available for usage (from dmesg: "Memory: 3210516k/3267772k available"; see below). The ... 29 Jul 2006 11:29
Create Linux FC SAN Target
I've been doing some research, and I am unable to ascertain whether it is possible to create LUNs on an IDE disk for export from a Linux system as fibre channel targets on a SAN? I have installed created and zoned other FC networks before, but never bumped into anything to show me whether this was possible or not... 26 May 2006 16:55
"...error while loading shared libraries: libg2c.so.0"
A program that I'm trying to use gives the following error message: ../run: error while loading shared libraries: libg2c.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory I did a bit of Googling on it and it seems libg2c.so.0 is part of the GCC package. What I don't get is that my SuSE 9.3 install... 30 Jan 2006 12:19
command line vs gui
I've had a Unix-using acquaintance tell me that he much preferred command lines over GUI, even when using Windows. For all the advantages of GUI I agree that it's much easier to issue a series of commands in a command line or do something like "copy *.* a:" as well. Can we get the best of both worlds with an interf... 29 Dec 2005 00:41
micro solution backpack cd-writer hell
i've got an external backpack cd-writer. it connects via usb and parallel port. i'm having a hell of a time getting it to work with ubuntu hoary (debian-based), using either usb or parallel port. from the micro solutions website: "USING BACKPACK ON THE PARALLEL PORT IN LINUX The backpack parallel port driver... 16 Jun 2005 15:13
dvd error WRITE@LBA
Hello, My dvd burner (LG) used to burn dvds without any problem. Now all of a subben it started throwing following error. /dev/hdd: "Current Write Speed" is 3.3x1385KBps. :-( unable to WRITE(a)LBA=0h: Input/output error :-( write failed: Input/output error It burns CDs alright though. I am confused as to why it... 12 Jun 2005 20:25
Problems intalling Tora (Oracle Toolkit) on Fedora
Hi, When I try to install the next package, the message below is shown: [root(a)llamas jdiaz]# rpm -Uhv tora-oracle-1.3.15-1.i386.rpm error: Failed dependencies: libclntsh.so.10.1 is needed by tora-oracle-1.3.15-1.i386 But the file "libclntsh.so.10.1" is installed. It belongs to the "O... 1 Mar 2005 07:31
Problems connecting with tora Oracle Toolkit: plugins missing
Hi, I have installed the "Sql*Plus" Oracle Client component. I can connect right to the server with "sqlplus" command, but when I start tora it show the message below: No available connection provider, plugins probably missing. I have exported the next variables: [jdiaz(a)llamas ~]$ env|grep oracle T... 25 Feb 2005 09:59