From: Cliff on

From: IYM "S U N on
Cliff wrote:
> On Wed, 09 Dec 2009 11:21:14 -0800, BillT <kinzie(a)mail.com> wrote:
>
>> Kirk Gordon wrote:

>>> I don't recognize it the way it shows up in text-only; but given the
>>> age and content, I'd guess it's calling for a .015 corner or corner break.
>>>
>>> KG
>>>
>> I think that's a bingo! Old print - R looks like a B... makes sense.

No - Definatly a B...Print is clear, just old. Sorry about the text
look of it, but I tried (lol) the bottom is supposed to be an arrow
head, not a corner it's pointing to. It's supposed to be one straight
unbroken line with a kind of "w" in the line and it actually points to 3
surfaces and a bore. Interestingly, the mating part has the same symbol
on the mating surfaces and features. Customer is still looking into it
and will post the reply when I find out.

Thanks.
From: Gerald Abrahamson on
On Fri, 11 Dec 2009 08:37:37 -0500, IYM <"S U N
risr"@optonline.net> wrote:

>Cliff wrote:

>>> I think that's a bingo! Old print - R looks like a B... makes sense.
>>

>No - Definatly a B...Print is clear, just old. Sorry about the text
>look of it, but I tried (lol) the bottom is supposed to be an arrow
>head, not a corner it's pointing to. It's supposed to be one straight
>unbroken line with a kind of "w" in the line and it actually points to 3
>surfaces and a bore. Interestingly, the mating part has the same symbol
>on the mating surfaces and features. Customer is still looking into it
>and will post the reply when I find out.

If these mating parts/surfaces are hand-fitted for final
assembly, then it is probably a "get it this close" to the
final dimension--and that leaves enough material to be
ground off a round surface or manually honed out of the hole
diameter to fit. Think crankshaft and bearing.... Turn the
OD of the crank surfaces to within (say) .015" and then use
the crank grinder to get to the final dimension. Then
machine the bearings (or whatever) to 015" undersize--and
then manually bore and fit the final crank dimensions once
it is in hand. This would be especially true if the
centerlines of those surfaces were required to be straight
line.
From: Cliff on
On Fri, 11 Dec 2009 08:37:37 -0500, IYM <"S U N risr"@optonline.net> wrote:

>Cliff wrote:

>>> I think that's a bingo! Old print - R looks like a B... makes sense.
>>

>No - Definatly a B...Print is clear, just old. Sorry about the text
>look of it, but I tried (lol) the bottom is supposed to be an arrow
>head, not a corner it's pointing to. It's supposed to be one straight
>unbroken line with a kind of "w" in the line and it actually points to 3
>surfaces and a bore. Interestingly, the mating part has the same symbol
>on the mating surfaces and features. Customer is still looking into it
>and will post the reply when I find out.
>
>Thanks.

Probably "Break edges" .015 (chamfer).
Anything in the change or general notes?
--
Cliff
From: IYM "S U N on
Gerald Abrahamson wrote:
> On Fri, 11 Dec 2009 08:37:37 -0500, IYM <"S U N
> risr"@optonline.net> wrote:
>
>> Cliff wrote:

>> No - Definatly a B...Print is clear, just old. Sorry about the text
>> look of it, but I tried (lol) the bottom is supposed to be an arrow
>> head, not a corner it's pointing to. It's supposed to be one straight
>> unbroken line with a kind of "w" in the line and it actually points to 3
>> surfaces and a bore. Interestingly, the mating part has the same symbol
>> on the mating surfaces and features. Customer is still looking into it
>> and will post the reply when I find out.
>
> If these mating parts/surfaces are hand-fitted for final
> assembly, then it is probably a "get it this close" to the
> final dimension--and that leaves enough material to be
> ground off a round surface or manually honed out of the hole
> diameter to fit. Think crankshaft and bearing.... Turn the
> OD of the crank surfaces to within (say) .015" and then use
> the crank grinder to get to the final dimension. Then
> machine the bearings (or whatever) to 015" undersize--and
> then manually bore and fit the final crank dimensions once
> it is in hand. This would be especially true if the
> centerlines of those surfaces were required to be straight
> line.

Just FYI - I got confirmation back from the customer today....They had
been looking at it, checking archives ect. and finally came up with....

<drum-roll>

"We have no freakin' idea what the hell that is!" LOL and the solution
was to give us a waiver saying to ignore that callout...

There is always a first for everything.... lol