From: Cliff on
On Fri, 18 Dec 2009 07:49:45 -0500, IYM <"S U N risr"@optonline.net> wrote:

>(BTW - for the other poster - It's a moving part - no welds whatsoever)

What does it move relative to at all those locations?
--
Cliff
From: Cliff on
On Thu, 17 Dec 2009 19:35:22 -0800, Bruce L. Bergman
<bruceNOSPAMbergman(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> Well, even with the free pass I still wouldn't "just" ignore that
>callout without thinking it through first

Give a copy of the print *as is* to jb to make.
Then don't do what he did.

Problem solved.
--
Cliff
From: IYM "S U N on
IYM wrote:
> Gerald Abrahamson wrote:
>> On Fri, 11 Dec 2009 08:37:37 -0500, IYM <"S U N
>> risr"@optonline.net> wrote:

>>> No - Definatly a B...Print is clear, just old. Sorry about the text
>>> look of it, but I tried (lol) the bottom is supposed to be an arrow
>>> head, not a corner it's pointing to. It's supposed to be one
>>> straight unbroken line with a kind of "w" in the line and it actually
>>> points to 3 surfaces and a bore. Interestingly, the mating part has
>>> the same symbol on the mating surfaces and features. Customer is
>>> still looking into it and will post the reply when I find out.
>>
>> If these mating parts/surfaces are hand-fitted for final
>> assembly, then it is probably a "get it this close" to the
>> final dimension--and that leaves enough material to be
>> ground off a round surface or manually honed out of the hole
>> diameter to fit. Think crankshaft and bearing.... Turn the
>> OD of the crank surfaces to within (say) .015" and then use
>> the crank grinder to get to the final dimension. Then
>> machine the bearings (or whatever) to 015" undersize--and
>> then manually bore and fit the final crank dimensions once
>> it is in hand. This would be especially true if the
>> centerlines of those surfaces were required to be straight
>> line.
>

> Just FYI - I got confirmation back from the customer today....They had
> been looking at it, checking archives ect. and finally came up with....
>
> <drum-roll>
>
> "We have no freakin' idea what the hell that is!" LOL and the solution
> was to give us a waiver saying to ignore that callout...
>
> There is always a first for everything.... lol

Just following up - Our customer finally found an ancient spec that
contained the information! It was their own internal spec regarding
deburring. They have three grades (A, B, & C,) from best to worse
(won't bore you with acceptance criteria for each) and the number
designates the magnification level it has to be inspected under. So my
drawing designated a "B" and had the # 15...

Thought I'd let everyone know in case they were interested....

Thanks....

IYM
From: Cliff on
On Mon, 04 Jan 2010 16:01:38 -0500, IYM <"S U N risr"@optonline.net> wrote:

>IYM wrote:
>> Gerald Abrahamson wrote:

>>> If these mating parts/surfaces are hand-fitted for final
>>> assembly, then it is probably a "get it this close" to the
>>> final dimension--and that leaves enough material to be
>>> ground off a round surface or manually honed out of the hole
>>> diameter to fit. Think crankshaft and bearing.... Turn the
>>> OD of the crank surfaces to within (say) .015" and then use
>>> the crank grinder to get to the final dimension. Then
>>> machine the bearings (or whatever) to 015" undersize--and
>>> then manually bore and fit the final crank dimensions once
>>> it is in hand. This would be especially true if the
>>> centerlines of those surfaces were required to be straight
>>> line.
>>

>> Just FYI - I got confirmation back from the customer today....They had
>> been looking at it, checking archives ect. and finally came up with....
>>
>> <drum-roll>
>>
>> "We have no freakin' idea what the hell that is!" LOL and the solution
>> was to give us a waiver saying to ignore that callout...
>>
>> There is always a first for everything.... lol
>

>Just following up - Our customer finally found an ancient spec that
>contained the information! It was their own internal spec regarding
>deburring. They have three grades (A, B, & C,) from best to worse
>(won't bore you with acceptance criteria for each) and the number
>designates the magnification level it has to be inspected under. So my
>drawing designated a "B" and had the # 15...
>
>Thought I'd let everyone know in case they were interested....
>
>Thanks....
>
>IYM

Very interesting.
Thanks for the update.
Who would ever have guessed?

And how did they lose/forget their own internal spec?

BTW, All such prints should refer to the internal spec & it's
revision level and be included with all requests to outside vendors.
"Shop Standard"

Clearly time for a "Redrawn W/O Change" that includes the
info in an explicit manner but drops the spec & odd notation.

Is that "W/O Change"?
--
Cliff

From: Cliff on