From: Nick Maclaren on

In article <wPmZg.21729$L.8512(a)newsfe4-gui.ntli.net>,
"Peter Dickerson" <first{dot}surname(a)tesco.net> writes:

|> Dennis, calm down please. It doesn't help the image of comp.arch . Yes, Nick
|> can be bloody infuriating. He really ought to be citing references for the
|> points he makes (=existance proof) - he works (or goes round) in academic
|> circles, so he should know the form.

For heaven's sake - I GAVE you the damn references! I don't keep
all of the details of the areas I know about in my head or even in a
convenent form - that is possible only for narrow generalists. If
I were writing an academic paper, I would put the effort in to
looking them up and listing them properly, but why should I do that
for people who are too damn idle to do it for themselves?

In any case, this is all standard knowledge for people with experience
in the area, and academic tradition is NOT to provide references for
such basic information. It isn't a GOOD tradition, because it helps
to propagate myths, but it is a common one.

As I said, look at those architecture documents: x86, IA64, MIPS,
PA-RISC, zArch (probably, but certainly System/370), POWER (if I
recall correctly). And the SC22WG1 Web site for the dicussions on
parallelism. Anyone capable of understanding the issues is capable
of finding those on the net.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
From: Dennis M. O'Connor on
"Peter Dickerson" <first{dot}surname(a)tesco.net> wrote ...
> "Dennis M. O'Connor" <dmoc(a)primenet.com> wrote in
>> <rohit.nadig(a)gmail.com> wrote
>> [ ... blah blah blah ...]
>> > Architect, micro-architect, I could care less.
>>
>> Then shut the f*ck up. There's enough noise on USENET
>> already without ever pissant Gmail user puking up onto
>> a thread just to tell everyone they don't care about it.
>
> Dennis, calm down please. It doesn't help the image of comp.arch .
> Yes, Nick can be bloody infuriating. [...]

Peter, my post above is NOT a response to Nick's posts,
or aimed at Nick. It's to "rohit.nadig", whoever that is.
--
Dennis M. O'Connor dmoc(a)primenet.com

From: girish on
> As I said, look up RC delay. Until and unless someone can get
> opto-electronics working for internal chip 'wiring', that will be

correct me if i am wrong. but is this referring to -- wire-less chip
interconnect or optical chip interconnect?
if it is about wireless, then i believe several people are on that
path. maximum possible symbols per maximum possible Hz over maximum
possible distance.

From: Nick Maclaren on

In article <1161182202.791510.118410(a)m7g2000cwm.googlegroups.com>,
"girish" <girishvg(a)gmail.com> writes:

|> > As I said, look up RC delay. Until and unless someone can get
|> > opto-electronics working for internal chip 'wiring', that will be
|>
|> correct me if i am wrong. but is this referring to -- wire-less chip
|> interconnect or optical chip interconnect?

No. As I said, look it up. It will explain many of the replies from
other people.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
From: girish on

On Oct 18, 11:38 pm, n...(a)cus.cam.ac.uk (Nick Maclaren) wrote:

> |> correct me if i am wrong. but is this referring to -- wire-less chip
> |> interconnect or optical chip interconnect?
>
> No. As I said, look it up. It will explain many of the replies from
> other people.
thanks.

let me understand this. (been some time i studied this). are we talking
about -

C |
=======
=======