From: Dennis M. O'Connor on
<kenney(a)cix.compulink.co.uk> wrote ...
> dmoc(a)primenet.com (Dennis M. O'Connor) wrote:
>
>> All the college freshman are discovering USENET.
>> And I wonder, should I just kill-file the lot of them ?
>
> I apologise if I am telling someone how to suck eggs.

Yeah, well, I may not have the illustrious track record of
some of the posters here, but I have spent a few years being
a microprocessor architect and micro-architect, during
my 15 years at Intel Corporation
--
Dennis M. O'Connor dmoc(a)primenet.com

From: Del Cecchi on

"Dennis M. O'Connor" <dmoc(a)primenet.com> wrote in message
> <kenney(a)cix.compulink.co.uk> wrote ...
>> dmoc(a)primenet.com (Dennis M. O'Connor) wrote:
>>
>>> All the college freshman are discovering USENET.
>>> And I wonder, should I just kill-file the lot of them ?
>>
>> I apologise if I am telling someone how to suck eggs.
>
> Yeah, well, I may not have the illustrious track record of
> some of the posters here, but I have spent a few years being
> a microprocessor architect and micro-architect, during
> my 15 years at Intel Corporation
> --
> Dennis M. O'Connor dmoc(a)primenet.com
I have seen a few architects that wouldn't know a transmission line if it
bit them in the behind, over the years. Not to say that you are one of
them, you seem to have a good circuit knowledge.

From: Dennis M. O'Connor on

"Del Cecchi" <delcecchiofthenorth(a)gmail.com> wrote ...
> "Dennis M. O'Connor" <dmoc(a)primenet.com> wrote ...
>> <kenney(a)cix.compulink.co.uk> wrote ...

>>> I apologise if I am telling someone how to suck eggs.
>>
>> Yeah, well, I may not have the illustrious track record of
>> some of the posters here, but I have spent a few years being
>> a microprocessor architect and micro-architect, during
>> my 15 years at Intel Corporation
>>
> I have seen a few architects that wouldn't know a transmission line if it
> bit them in the behind, over the years. Not to say that you are one of
> them, you seem to have a good circuit knowledge.

Well, I know what I don't know, at least, and who
to ask about it. But you can't architect buildings well
without understanding a little about steels, and you can't
achitect processors without understanding at least a little
about semiconductors and the wires that connect them.
You'v e got to at least know when to go ask an expert.
--
Dennis M. O'Connor dmoc(a)primenet.com

From: Stephen Fuld on

"Dennis M. O'Connor" <dmoc(a)primenet.com> wrote in message
> <kenney(a)cix.compulink.co.uk> wrote ...
>> dmoc(a)primenet.com (Dennis M. O'Connor) wrote:
>>
>>> All the college freshman are discovering USENET.
>>> And I wonder, should I just kill-file the lot of them ?
>>
>> I apologise if I am telling someone how to suck eggs.
>
> Yeah, well, I may not have the illustrious track record of
> some of the posters here, but I have spent a few years being
> a microprocessor architect and micro-architect, during
> my 15 years at Intel Corporation

Just out of curiosity, can you explain the difference between the jobs
"micprocessor architect" and "micro-architect", as it might appear that they
are essentially the same thing?

--
- Stephen Fuld
e-mail address disguised to prevent spam

From: John Dallman on
In article <Gh7Yg.271289$QM6.258623(a)bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>,
s.fuld(a)PleaseRemove.att.net (Stephen Fuld) wrote:

> Just out of curiosity, can you explain the difference between the
> jobs "micprocessor architect" and "micro-architect", as it might
> appear that they are essentially the same thing?

Well, yesterday, two Intel people whom I was having a 'phone conference
with explained that XScale, Pentium 4 and Core 2 Duo are all separate
"architectures", and that the fact that two of them run the same
instruction set isn't particularly significant in that terminology,
"because, at the hardware level, they're quite different".

Personally, being a software person, I'd consider P4 and C2D to be
significantly different implementations of the same basic architecture.
However, that view probably isn't good for the egos of chip designers.

---
John Dallman jgd(a)cix.co.uk
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a
well-rigged demo"