From: ranjit_mathews@yahoo.com on
Nick Maclaren wrote:
> In article <1160477501.173323.39850(a)h48g2000cwc.googlegroups.com>,
> "ranjit_mathews(a)yahoo.com" <ranjit_mathews(a)yahoo.com> writes:
> |>
> |> If your competitor ships a computer with a 1.6GHz processor and
> |> DDR2-533 RAM and you figure that they can get their processor to run at
> |> 3.2Gz by the time DDR3-1066 RAM becomes mainstream, you know they'll be
> |> able to compress or run a DOM parser about twice as fast, don't you?
>
> No.

It would be "no" only if you have some sure-fire way of determining
that your competitor is incapable of scaling up all the parts in their
system along with the processors they use.

From: Tim Bradshaw on
On 2006-10-10 16:53:52 +0100, "ranjit_mathews(a)yahoo.com"
<ranjit_mathews(a)yahoo.com> said:

> Naturally. Would you expect Gene Amdahl or someone like him to build a
> new machine with higher compute performance but the same I/O? He would
> scale up everything unless the new machine is targeted at a different
> problem.

But you *can't* make all the other components go faster. Or rather,
you can (perhaps) but you can't then hide the latency. The history of
computer architecture for at least the last 20 years (and probably much
longer) has substantially been a history of dealing with not being able
to just crank a machine faster.

--tim

From: Nick Maclaren on

In article <1160496420.908302.5740(a)b28g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,

|> > No.
|>
|> It would be "no" only if you have some sure-fire way of determining
|> that your competitor is incapable of scaling up all the parts in their
|> system along with the processors they use.

No, it wouldn't. Read what YOU said. "You know they'll" is short for
"you know they will" and not "you cannot be sure that they will not".

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
From: ranjit_mathews@yahoo.com on

Tim Bradshaw wrote:
> On 2006-10-10 16:53:52 +0100, "ranjit_mathews(a)yahoo.com"
> <ranjit_mathews(a)yahoo.com> said:
>
> > Naturally. Would you expect Gene Amdahl or someone like him to build a
> > new machine with higher compute performance but the same I/O? He would
> > scale up everything unless the new machine is targeted at a different
> > problem.
>
> But you *can't* make all the other components go faster.

The components that need to go faster are the ones that matter to the
problem at hand. If the ones that matter to a given problem are the
processor, RAM and communication links between processors, then if you
maintain a constant ratio of speed of RAM to the speed of those other
components, you can make them go faster. You can't get, say, gigabit
Ethernet or Infiniband to go faster but their speed, or lack thereof,
might not affect your problem.

> Or rather,
> you can (perhaps) but you can't then hide the latency.

If you can keep their latencies constant when measured in ticks (a unit
of time that changes in inverse proportion to frequency), then you
don't need to hide latency to any greater extent than you used to need
to hide it. For example, try to use RAM with the same timings (same
number of bus cycles for an access)..

From: Nick Maclaren on

In article <1160498037.534827.230500(a)i3g2000cwc.googlegroups.com>,
"ranjit_mathews(a)yahoo.com" <ranjit_mathews(a)yahoo.com> writes:

|> The components that need to go faster are the ones that matter to the
|> problem at hand. If the ones that matter to a given problem are the
|> processor, RAM and communication links between processors, then if you
|> maintain a constant ratio of speed of RAM to the speed of those other
|> components, you can make them go faster. You can't get, say, gigabit
|> Ethernet or Infiniband to go faster but their speed, or lack thereof,
|> might not affect your problem.

Indeed. Quite right. And, if pigs could fly, I would be able to ride
one to work.

|> If you can keep their latencies constant when measured in ticks (a unit
|> of time that changes in inverse proportion to frequency), then you
|> don't need to hide latency to any greater extent than you used to need
|> to hide it. For example, try to use RAM with the same timings (same
|> number of bus cycles for an access)..

Indeed. Please do.

When you have failed, you should look up a few books on computer design,
specifically with regard to RC delay.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.