From: ranjit_mathews@yahoo.com on

Bill Todd wrote:
> ranjit_mathews(a)yahoo.com wrote:
> > Bill Todd wrote:

> >> And what, exactly, do you believe you have gained once you've done that?
> >
> > If you can estimate how much faster they can clock it relative to how
> > much faster other processors can be clocked, you can estimate how much
> > faster it will get relative to other processors.
>
> That, as the saying goes, is a mighty big 'if'.
>
> On what basis would you estimate how much faster those processors can
> clock, anyway?

I don't know the field. How do competing processor designers do it? Do
they never have the faintest idea how much stiffer the competition can
get?

From: Bill Todd on
ranjit_mathews(a)yahoo.com wrote:
> Bill Todd wrote:
>> ranjit_mathews(a)yahoo.com wrote:

>>> If you can estimate how much faster they can clock it relative to how
>>> much faster other processors can be clocked, you can estimate how much
>>> faster it will get relative to other processors.
>> That, as the saying goes, is a mighty big 'if'.
>>
>> On what basis would you estimate how much faster those processors can
>> clock, anyway?
>
> I don't know the field.

I think that was beginning to become obvious. Don't you think it's a
bit presumptuous to contradict someone under those circumstances?

- bill
From: ranjit_mathews@yahoo.com on

Bill Todd wrote:
> ranjit_mathews(a)yahoo.com wrote:
> > Bill Todd wrote:

> >> That, as the saying goes, is a mighty big 'if'.
> >>
> >> On what basis would you estimate how much faster those processors can
> >> clock, anyway?
> >
> > I don't know the field.
>
> I think that was beginning to become obvious. Don't you think it's a
> bit presumptuous to contradict someone under those circumstances?

It's also obvious that competing processor designers do it somehow; it
seems most unlikely that they wouldn't try to estimate the headroom
left in a competing processor.

From: Nick Maclaren on

In article <1160443523.429549.264960(a)h48g2000cwc.googlegroups.com>,
"ranjit_mathews(a)yahoo.com" <ranjit_mathews(a)yahoo.com> writes:

|> > And what, exactly, do you believe you have gained once you've done that?
|>
|> If you can estimate how much faster they can clock it relative to how
|> much faster other processors can be clocked, you can estimate how much
|> faster it will get relative to other processors.

Several of the regular posters (including me) are old enough to remember
when that was the case, but I suspect that you aren't :-)

On most CPUs, it isn't as simple as 50% more GHz is 50% more operations
per cycle, even in artificial codes that don't access memory or do I/O.
Even if it were, such codes are SO artificial that their performance is
almost irrelevant to actual work.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
From: ranjit_mathews@yahoo.com on

Nick Maclaren wrote:

> |> If you can estimate how much faster they can clock it relative to how
> |> much faster other processors can be clocked, you can estimate how much
> |> faster it will get relative to other processors.
>
> Several of the regular posters (including me) are old enough to remember
> when that was the case, but I suspect that you aren't :-)
>
> On most CPUs, it isn't as simple as 50% more GHz is 50% more operations
> per cycle, even in artificial codes that don't access memory or do I/O.

If your competitor ships a computer with a 1.6GHz processor and
DDR2-533 RAM and you figure that they can get their processor to run at
3.2Gz by the time DDR3-1066 RAM becomes mainstream, you know they'll be
able to compress or run a DOM parser about twice as fast, don't you?

> Even if it were, such codes are SO artificial that their performance is
> almost irrelevant to actual work.

Aren't the above actual work?