From: sligoNoSPAMjoe on
On Sat, 03 Apr 2010 17:10:27 -0400, Robert Coe <bob(a)1776.COM> wrote:

>I think you're slightly off on that. Flair *enhances* an image. *Flare*
>degrades it. ;^)
>
>Bob

You got me there.
From: Paul Furman on
Robert Coe wrote:
> On Sat, 13 Mar 2010 21:05:36 -0500, sligoNoSPAMjoe(a)hotmail.com wrote:
> : On Sat, 13 Mar 2010 08:55:15 -0600, Tom Hise <nc0o(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> :
> : >I'm trying to reduce the volume of camera related stuff that I haul around
> : >with me when traveling. I use a Nikon D80 with three different lenses
> : >(30mm f1.4, 18-135mm F3.5, and 70-300mm f4.5). Each lens has a different
> : >hood to go with it.
> : >
> : >My question is, just how important are lens hoods? Would I be likely to
> : >miss any 'great' shots if I stopped carrying the hoods.
> : >
> : >I am not a pro, just an amateur who takes photos for fun, to show friends
> : >and family and occasionally post on the web.
> : >
> : >Thanks in advance,
> : >
> : >Tom Hise
> :
> :
> : It won't stop you from taking a photo, but it may help you get
> : a better photo. It also well help protect the lens while not
> : interfering with the results, other than to prevent problems like
> : flair that may degrade the resulting image.
>
> I think you're slightly off on that. Flair *enhances* an image. *Flare*
> degrades it. ;^)

I frequently use the panache button on my camera. It can't be duplicated
in Photoshop without a lot of tedious work.

--
Paul Furman
www.edgehill.net
From: C J Campbell on
On 2010-03-13 06:55:15 -0800, Tom Hise <nc0o(a)yahoo.com> said:

> I'm trying to reduce the volume of camera related stuff that I haul around
> with me when traveling. I use a Nikon D80 with three different lenses
> (30mm f1.4, 18-135mm F3.5, and 70-300mm f4.5). Each lens has a different
> hood to go with it.
>
> My question is, just how important are lens hoods? Would I be likely to
> miss any 'great' shots if I stopped carrying the hoods.
>
> I am not a pro, just an amateur who takes photos for fun, to show friends
> and family and occasionally post on the web.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Tom Hise

Depends. Some lens hoods are not very effective. The deep flower shaped
lens hood on the Nikon f/2.8 70-200mm VR II lens does a poor job of
reducing lens flare, for example, and the lens has been criticized in
reviews because of it.

Generally, I use a lens hood. Lens flare is not always obvious and it
is very difficult to edit out (at least until we get content aware
editing in PS 5). I also prefer the protection that a lens hood gives
me over that of a clear or UV filter. A lens hood will not generally
degrade your picture. A filter might.

--
Waddling Eagle
World Famous Flight Instructor

From: Chris Malcolm on
C J Campbell <christophercampbellremovethis(a)hotmail.com> wrote:

> Some lens hoods are not very effective. The deep flower shaped
> lens hood on the Nikon f/2.8 70-200mm VR II lens does a poor job of
> reducing lens flare, for example, and the lens has been criticized in
> reviews because of it.

Hoods for zoom lenses ought to be zoomable, otherwise they become
increasingly ineffective as you zoom the lens.

--
Chris Malcolm
From: Bruce on
On Sat, 03 Apr 2010 15:51:33 -0700, Paul Furman <paul-@-edgehill.net>
wrote:

>I frequently use the panache button on my camera. It can't be duplicated
>in Photoshop without a lot of tedious work.

Sounds like you found the irony key on your keyboard. ;-)

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
Prev: Photography exhibit
Next: 26 GP pano