From: Robert Spanjaard on
On Sat, 13 Mar 2010 19:12:43 -0500, Neil Harrington wrote:

> "Robert Spanjaard" <spamtrap(a)arumes.com> wrote in message
>> On Sat, 13 Mar 2010 11:35:17 -0500, Neil Harrington wrote:
>>
>>> Ken Rockwell (www.kenrockwell.com) on the other hand has said he never
>>> uses a lens hood. But he does use his hand to shade the lens, which to
>>> me seems more of a bother than using a hood -- and is probably less
>>> effective besides, unless he paints that hand matte black.
>>
>> Why would you need to paint it black? If our hand is between a
>> lightsource and the lens, light from the source reflecting off your
>> hand never reaches the lens.
>
> But there's other light bouncing around, and the flesh-colored inside of
> your hand would tend to reflect some of it into your lens. Why do they
> make the insides of lens hoods non-reflecting black?

Because lens hoods are not directional. When the upper side is blocking
light from the lens, the lower side is reflecting light at the lens.
That's why ribbed lens hoods (and ribbed plastic or metal around the front
lens element in general) are designed to reflect light away from the lens.
It has nothing to do with "other light bouncing around".

--
Regards, Robert http://www.arumes.com
From: Robert Coe on
On Sat, 13 Mar 2010 19:07:00 -0500, "Neil Harrington" <never(a)home.com> wrote:
:
: "tony cooper" <tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> wrote in message
: news:3gmnp5l0j8g43s7o9ikeflf4al1p75uble(a)4ax.com...
: > On Sat, 13 Mar 2010 13:27:23 -0500, "Neil Harrington" <never(a)home.com>
: > wrote:
: >
: >>I'm sure Rockwell doesn't always use a tripod, no. The photo of him at the
: >>front of his site shows him using a Nikon with some monster lens on a
: >>monopod, one hand on the camera and the other steadying the lens and
: >>monopod. So that leaves him all out of hands and nothing to shade the lens
: >>as he says he does. (The image is flipped you'll notice, which gave rise
: >>Rockwell's b.s. story about a "special left-handed Nikon." He is not
: >>always
: >>absolutely believable, which he admits himself.)
: >>
: > Left-handed camera? I'm left-handed, and I've never felt that the
: > ergonomics of a camera were left- or right-hand favored. The only
: > left-handed device that I own is a circular saw. I've tried
: > left-handed scissors, but I don't find them much of an advantage.
:
: Rockwell's "special left-handed Nikon" was a gag, a flipped image that he
: made up a story to go with.
:
: But I would say most SLRs and other cameras are right-handed, i.e. shutter
: release and film advance lever (when we still had film advance levers) were
: on the right. The obvious exception was the old Exakta, which I would call a
: left-handed camera.

The handedness of a DSLR is a matter of individual opinion. You have to steady
the lens (and do any necessary lens adjustments) with your left hand, and you
have to push the shutter button (and most of the other buttons) with your
right. It's not obvious that the separation of functions favors one handedness
over the other. It's especially not obvious to me, since I'm nearly
ambidextrous.

But DSLRs are clearly right-EYED. If you don't want to mash your nose into the
back of the camera (and risk hitting various buttons you may not want pushed),
you pretty well have to look through the viewfinder with your right eye. If
that's your weaker eye, tough luck.

Bob
From: tony cooper on
On Sun, 14 Mar 2010 00:14:50 -0500, Robert Coe <bob(a)1776.COM> wrote:

>On Sat, 13 Mar 2010 19:07:00 -0500, "Neil Harrington" <never(a)home.com> wrote:
>:
>: "tony cooper" <tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> wrote in message
>: news:3gmnp5l0j8g43s7o9ikeflf4al1p75uble(a)4ax.com...
>: > On Sat, 13 Mar 2010 13:27:23 -0500, "Neil Harrington" <never(a)home.com>
>: > wrote:
>: >
>: >>I'm sure Rockwell doesn't always use a tripod, no. The photo of him at the
>: >>front of his site shows him using a Nikon with some monster lens on a
>: >>monopod, one hand on the camera and the other steadying the lens and
>: >>monopod. So that leaves him all out of hands and nothing to shade the lens
>: >>as he says he does. (The image is flipped you'll notice, which gave rise
>: >>Rockwell's b.s. story about a "special left-handed Nikon." He is not
>: >>always
>: >>absolutely believable, which he admits himself.)
>: >>
>: > Left-handed camera? I'm left-handed, and I've never felt that the
>: > ergonomics of a camera were left- or right-hand favored. The only
>: > left-handed device that I own is a circular saw. I've tried
>: > left-handed scissors, but I don't find them much of an advantage.
>:
>: Rockwell's "special left-handed Nikon" was a gag, a flipped image that he
>: made up a story to go with.
>:
>: But I would say most SLRs and other cameras are right-handed, i.e. shutter
>: release and film advance lever (when we still had film advance levers) were
>: on the right. The obvious exception was the old Exakta, which I would call a
>: left-handed camera.
>
>The handedness of a DSLR is a matter of individual opinion. You have to steady
>the lens (and do any necessary lens adjustments) with your left hand, and you
>have to push the shutter button (and most of the other buttons) with your
>right. It's not obvious that the separation of functions favors one handedness
>over the other. It's especially not obvious to me, since I'm nearly
>ambidextrous.
>
>But DSLRs are clearly right-EYED. If you don't want to mash your nose into the
>back of the camera (and risk hitting various buttons you may not want pushed),
>you pretty well have to look through the viewfinder with your right eye. If
>that's your weaker eye, tough luck.

I've spend hours looking for a hat...and haven't found one. I
generally wear a baseball-type cap outdoors all the time because of
the bright Florida sun, and I wear it pulled down over my eyes. I
shoot Nikon and often the camera pushes up against the bill and
interferes with me seeing through the viewfinder. If the flash pops
up, the bill stops it halfway. I'm too old, and too white, to turn my
baseball cap backwards or sideways.

I'd like to find a hat with a soft brim like the tan one at the top
left of: https://caymaninternationalschool.org/images/hats_lmcf.jpg
but without any printing or logo on it. Can't find one in a man's
size in this area.

I am left-eyed and have no trouble looking through the viewfinder with
my left eye, and I have a humongous nose.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
From: N on

> [...]
>>If
>>that's your weaker eye, tough luck.
>>

> I've spend hours looking for a hat...and haven't found one. I
> generally wear a baseball-type cap outdoors all the time because of
> the bright Florida sun, and I wear it pulled down over my eyes. I
> shoot Nikon and often the camera pushes up against the bill and
> interferes with me seeing through the viewfinder. If the flash pops
> up, the bill stops it halfway. I'm too old, and too white, to turn my
> baseball cap backwards or sideways.
>
> I'd like to find a hat with a soft brim like the tan one at the top
> left of: https://caymaninternationalschool.org/images/hats_lmcf.jpg
> but without any printing or logo on it. Can't find one in a man's
> size in this area.
>
> I am left-eyed and have no trouble looking through the viewfinder with
> my left eye, and I have a humongous nose.

Shouldn't be too hard to find a hat like that. Have you tried a fishing
tackle shop?

From: rwalker on
On Sat, 13 Mar 2010 20:17:38 -0500, tony cooper
<tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> wrote:

snip

>There are certain things that I can only do with my left hand
>(writing, using shop tools, using a spoon or fork), but depressing a
>shutter release is not a matter of handedness. On a film camera, I
>never felt it was awkward to advance the film with my right thumb.
>
>When on manual focus, focusing is easier with my left hand so holding
>the camera in right hand is natural.
>
>The most difficult thing for a leftie to do? Pour anything out of a
>punchbowl dipper or a pitcher with the spout on the side. The worst
>place to be? In a restaurant booth seated next to the wall and next
>to a fat rightie with flying elbows.

I'm left-handed and missing the first joint of my right index finger,
but still find no difficulty in pressing the shutter release. As for
the rest of your post, I agree 100%.
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
Prev: Photography exhibit