From: Alfred Molon on
In article <a8eop5l8hqc8dcg7hvkdcgcok037vrm6pf(a)4ax.com>,
GEdstrom(a)PacBell.Net says...
> But it takes up space that might be at a premium.

You can attach it to the lens reversed, and so it takes very little
additional space.
--

Alfred Molon
On Sat, 13 Mar 2010 17:25:25 -0600, Tom Hise <nc0o(a)yahoo.com> wrote:

>I appreciate all the constructive comments people posted. How a simple
>question can turn into an excuse to vilify other posters is beyond my
>comprehension.

Welcome to Usenet newsgroups. ;-)
From: Robert Coe on
On Sun, 14 Mar 2010 00:35:33 -0500, tony cooper <tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net>
wrote:
: On Sun, 14 Mar 2010 00:14:50 -0500, Robert Coe <bob(a)1776.COM> wrote:
:
: >On Sat, 13 Mar 2010 19:07:00 -0500, "Neil Harrington" <never(a)home.com> wrote:
: >:
: >: "tony cooper" <tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> wrote in message
: >: news:3gmnp5l0j8g43s7o9ikeflf4al1p75uble(a)4ax.com...
: >: > On Sat, 13 Mar 2010 13:27:23 -0500, "Neil Harrington" <never(a)home.com>
: >: > wrote:
: >: >
: >: >>I'm sure Rockwell doesn't always use a tripod, no. The photo of him at the
: >: >>front of his site shows him using a Nikon with some monster lens on a
: >: >>monopod, one hand on the camera and the other steadying the lens and
: >: >>monopod. So that leaves him all out of hands and nothing to shade the lens
: >: >>as he says he does. (The image is flipped you'll notice, which gave rise
: >: >>Rockwell's b.s. story about a "special left-handed Nikon." He is not
: >: >>always
: >: >>absolutely believable, which he admits himself.)
: >: >>
: >: > Left-handed camera? I'm left-handed, and I've never felt that the
: >: > ergonomics of a camera were left- or right-hand favored. The only
: >: > left-handed device that I own is a circular saw. I've tried
: >: > left-handed scissors, but I don't find them much of an advantage.
: >:
: >: Rockwell's "special left-handed Nikon" was a gag, a flipped image that he
: >: made up a story to go with.
: >:
: >: But I would say most SLRs and other cameras are right-handed, i.e. shutter
: >: release and film advance lever (when we still had film advance levers) were
: >: on the right. The obvious exception was the old Exakta, which I would call a
: >: left-handed camera.
: >
: >The handedness of a DSLR is a matter of individual opinion. You have to steady
: >the lens (and do any necessary lens adjustments) with your left hand, and you
: >have to push the shutter button (and most of the other buttons) with your
: >right. It's not obvious that the separation of functions favors one handedness
: >over the other. It's especially not obvious to me, since I'm nearly
: >ambidextrous.
: >
: >But DSLRs are clearly right-EYED. If you don't want to mash your nose into the
: >back of the camera (and risk hitting various buttons you may not want pushed),
: >you pretty well have to look through the viewfinder with your right eye. If
: >that's your weaker eye, tough luck.
: >
:
: I've spend hours looking for a hat...and haven't found one. I
: generally wear a baseball-type cap outdoors all the time because of
: the bright Florida sun, and I wear it pulled down over my eyes. I
: shoot Nikon and often the camera pushes up against the bill and
: interferes with me seeing through the viewfinder. If the flash pops
: up, the bill stops it halfway. I'm too old, and too white, to turn my
: baseball cap backwards or sideways.
:
: I'd like to find a hat with a soft brim like the tan one at the top
: left of: https://caymaninternationalschool.org/images/hats_lmcf.jpg
: but without any printing or logo on it. Can't find one in a man's
: size in this area.

Try one of the mail-order places like L.L. Bean, Land's End, or Eddie Bauer.
They're almost certain to have that or something similar.

: I am left-eyed and have no trouble looking through the viewfinder with
: my left eye, and I have a humongous nose.

Does that make you tend to displace the subject to the right-hand side of the
image? I'm right-eyed, and my nose doesn't completely clear the camera, so I
apparently tend to look into the viewfinder at an angle. I have to guard
against having my subjects displaced to the left (or, equivalently, having
nothing of interest in the right-hand side).

Bob
From: Savageduck on
On 2010-03-13 21:35:33 -0800, tony cooper <tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> said:

> [...]
>> that's your weaker eye, tough luck.
>>

> I've spend hours looking for a hat...and haven't found one. I
> generally wear a baseball-type cap outdoors all the time because of
> the bright Florida sun, and I wear it pulled down over my eyes. I
> shoot Nikon and often the camera pushes up against the bill and
> interferes with me seeing through the viewfinder. If the flash pops
> up, the bill stops it halfway. I'm too old, and too white, to turn my
> baseball cap backwards or sideways.
>
> I'd like to find a hat with a soft brim like the tan one at the top
> left of: https://caymaninternationalschool.org/images/hats_lmcf.jpg
> but without any printing or logo on it. Can't find one in a man's
> size in this area.
>
> I am left-eyed and have no trouble looking through the viewfinder with
> my left eye, and I have a humongous nose.

Here are a few for you Tony;
http://www.rei.com/product/798762
http://www.american-armynavy.com/boonie-ODRS.htm
http://www.bdu.com/boonies-cotton-ripstop.html

I use a $9.99 OD ripstop boonie hat;
http://www.bdu.com/F550155330.html

--
Regards,

Savageduck

From: tony cooper on
On Sun, 14 Mar 2010 06:56:02 -0700, Savageduck
<savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

> [...]
>>> that's your weaker eye, tough luck.
>>>

>> I've spend hours looking for a hat...and haven't found one. I
>> generally wear a baseball-type cap outdoors all the time because of
>> the bright Florida sun, and I wear it pulled down over my eyes. I
>> shoot Nikon and often the camera pushes up against the bill and
>> interferes with me seeing through the viewfinder. If the flash pops
>> up, the bill stops it halfway. I'm too old, and too white, to turn my
>> baseball cap backwards or sideways.
>>
>> I'd like to find a hat with a soft brim like the tan one at the top
>> left of: https://caymaninternationalschool.org/images/hats_lmcf.jpg
>> but without any printing or logo on it. Can't find one in a man's
>> size in this area.
>>
>> I am left-eyed and have no trouble looking through the viewfinder with
>> my left eye, and I have a humongous nose.

That's not what I want. I have a "boonie", but I only wear it when I
only need sun protection. The wide brim bothers me when I'm
photographing. The hat I linked to covers my bald pate and gives me
some eye shading but doesn't bump into the camera.

Also, since I spend a lot of time doing "street" photography, I like
to be fairly inconspicuous. I don't want to look like Harrison Ford
from a distance.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last