From: Mr. Strat on
In article <nHNmn.415669$FK3.85435(a)en-nntp-06.dc1.easynews.com>, Tom
Hise <nc0o(a)yahoo.com> wrote:

> My question is, just how important are lens hoods? Would I be likely to
> miss any 'great' shots if I stopped carrying the hoods.

In my Hasselblad days, I used a professional shade. These digital days,
I use those big, plastic flower-looking things. But it depends on what
I'm doing. Sometimes I use 'em, sometimes not.
From: J. Clarke on
On 3/14/2010 1:14 PM, Irwell wrote:
> On Sun, 14 Mar 2010 00:35:33 -0500, tony cooper wrote:
>

>> I'd like to find a hat with a soft brim like the tan one at the top
>> left of: https://caymaninternationalschool.org/images/hats_lmcf.jpg
>> but without any printing or logo on it. Can't find one in a man's
>> size in this area.
>>
> My dermatologist gave me one like that pictured as a free sample,
> it did have some drug company's logo on it, though.

It's called a "bucket hat" and googling that will find a wide range of
sources. There's a military version called a "boonie hat" that any
surplus outlet should have in camo.

From: bugbear on
Tom Hise wrote:

> How a simple
> question can turn into an excuse to vilify other posters is beyond my
> comprehension.

You're new here, aren't you ;-)

BugBear
From: SMS on
Tom Hise wrote:
> I'm trying to reduce the volume of camera related stuff that I haul around
> with me when traveling. I use a Nikon D80 with three different lenses
> (30mm f1.4, 18-135mm F3.5, and 70-300mm f4.5). Each lens has a different
> hood to go with it.
>
> My question is, just how important are lens hoods? Would I be likely to
> miss any 'great' shots if I stopped carrying the hoods.

Yes.

You might consider the flexible rubber lens hoods which don't have the
volume of the hard plastic lens hoods. They aren't quite as good, but
they're fine.
From: Frank ess on

J. Clarke wrote:
> On 3/14/2010 1:14 PM, Irwell wrote:
>> On Sun, 14 Mar 2010 00:35:33 -0500, tony cooper wrote:
>>

>>> I'd like to find a hat with a soft brim like the tan one at the
>>> top left of:
>>> https://caymaninternationalschool.org/images/hats_lmcf.jpg but
>>> without any printing or logo on it. Can't find one in a man's
>>> size in this area.
>> My dermatologist gave me one like that pictured as a free sample,
>> it did have some drug company's logo on it, though.
>
> It's called a "bucket hat" and googling that will find a wide range
> of sources. There's a military version called a "boonie hat" that
> any surplus outlet should have in camo.

My favorite is like the soft one, has only the label of outdoors
outfitters Columbia on it. They have quite a range of head coverings
among their goods.

http://www.columbia.com/mens-hats/men-accessories-hatsHeadwear,default,sc.html

Looks as if they have trimmed their lines and blown the labels up by
4-500%.

Business. Sheesh.

--
Frank ess