From: George Anthony on

"Eric Stevens" <eric.stevens(a)sum.co.nz> wrote in message
> For my sins I have recently been attempting to use my Epson V700
> scanner to digitize some 35mm Fuji negatives.
>
> I find that no matter how I try I cannot get rid of dust. The best
> examples are barely tolerable and the worst look like a blizzard.
>
> I've been using various combinations of brush, bellow and conductive
> cloth but nothing seems to work. In fact, I think my efforts are
> making things worse for me by building up an electrostatic charge on
> everything around me. Its not that the atmosphere is dry at the
> moment. We are just seeing the last of a tropical depression and the
> humidity has dropped to 60%.
>
> What am I doing wrong or, better still, what should I be doing right?
>
> Thanks in advance to all and sundry.
>

> Eric Stevens

I don't doubt you have dust on your slides (nearly impossible not to) but,
if you haven't all ready, I'd make sure the scanner itself is dust free.
Between the slides and the scanner, you're talking a lot of dust possible.

From: Rich on
Eric Stevens <eric.stevens(a)sum.co.nz> wrote in

> For my sins I have recently been attempting to use my Epson V700
> scanner to digitize some 35mm Fuji negatives.
>
> I find that no matter how I try I cannot get rid of dust. The best
> examples are barely tolerable and the worst look like a blizzard.
>
> I've been using various combinations of brush, bellow and conductive
> cloth but nothing seems to work. In fact, I think my efforts are
> making things worse for me by building up an electrostatic charge on
> everything around me. Its not that the atmosphere is dry at the
> moment. We are just seeing the last of a tropical depression and the
> humidity has dropped to 60%.
>
> What am I doing wrong or, better still, what should I be doing right?
>
> Thanks in advance to all and sundry.
>

> Eric Stevens

May seem like blasphemy, but actually polishing both sides of the negative
with a soft-lint free cloth, then using compressed air blasts seems to work
very well.
From: Eric Stevens on
On Sat, 5 Jun 2010 22:33:52 -0700, Mike Russell
<groupsRE(a)MOVEcurvemeister.com> wrote:

>On Sun, 06 Jun 2010 16:13:59 +1200, Eric Stevens wrote:
>
>> For my sins I have recently been attempting to use my Epson V700
>> scanner to digitize some 35mm Fuji negatives.
>>
>> I find that no matter how I try I cannot get rid of dust. The best
>> examples are barely tolerable and the worst look like a blizzard.
>>
>> I've been using various combinations of brush, bellow and conductive
>> cloth but nothing seems to work. In fact, I think my efforts are
>> making things worse for me by building up an electrostatic charge on
>> everything around me. Its not that the atmosphere is dry at the
>> moment. We are just seeing the last of a tropical depression and the
>> humidity has dropped to 60%.
>Hi Eric,
>
>Probably the problem started long ago, with the way the slides were stored.
>
>It's been some years since I did much slide scanning. I found that even
>with relatively clean slides, it took me 30 seconds or even more to remove
>the couple of flecks of dust from each slide. It's faster to clone out a
>few specs in Photoshop than to go back and do a re-scan.
>
>There is no easy solution - though if you have many slides, it may be worth
>buying a scanner, such as a Nikon with ICE technology, which uses a
>separate IR beam to detect, and remove the dust. If your budget is limited
>(whose isn't), buy a used scanner on eBay, and sell it again when you're
>done.

Two points.

My problem is with film, not slides (slides are yet to come).

My scanner is an Epson V700 which has a double lens system - one to
focus on the image and the other to focus on the surface to detect
dirt and scratches. The V700 comes with ICE technology. See
http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/consumer/consDetail.jsp?oid=63056499

Eric Stevens
From: Eric Stevens on
On Sun, 06 Jun 2010 09:29:30 +0200, Mxsmanic <mxsmanic(a)gmail.com>
wrote:

>Eric Stevens writes:
>
>> For my sins I have recently been attempting to use my Epson V700
>> scanner to digitize some 35mm Fuji negatives.
>>
>> I find that no matter how I try I cannot get rid of dust. The best
>> examples are barely tolerable and the worst look like a blizzard.
>>
>> I've been using various combinations of brush, bellow and conductive
>> cloth but nothing seems to work. In fact, I think my efforts are
>> making things worse for me by building up an electrostatic charge on
>> everything around me. Its not that the atmosphere is dry at the
>> moment. We are just seeing the last of a tropical depression and the
>> humidity has dropped to 60%.
>>
>> What am I doing wrong or, better still, what should I be doing right?
>
>At least at one time you could buy static brushes with a small bit of
>radioactive isotope built in (electroplated polonium, as I recall). The
>radioactivity was weak but sufficient to discharge static electricity at very
>close range, so as you passed the brush over the film, the isotope discharged
>any static build-up, making it easier to remove the dust for good.
>
>I don't know if these are still sold. People tend to be more fearful now than
>they once were, so perhaps not (although there was nothing dangerous about
>these brushes unless you broke the isotope out of the brush and ate it, and
>perhaps not even then).

Thanks for the suggestion. I was thinking of doing that except for the
fact that today (in New Zealand) is a public holiday.

Eric Stevens
From: Eric Stevens on
On Sun, 6 Jun 2010 01:03:31 -0700, Savageduck
<savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

>On 2010-06-05 21:13:59 -0700, Eric Stevens <eric.stevens(a)sum.co.nz> said:
>
>> For my sins I have recently been attempting to use my Epson V700
>> scanner to digitize some 35mm Fuji negatives.
>>
>> I find that no matter how I try I cannot get rid of dust. The best
>> examples are barely tolerable and the worst look like a blizzard.
>>
>> I've been using various combinations of brush, bellow and conductive
>> cloth but nothing seems to work. In fact, I think my efforts are
>> making things worse for me by building up an electrostatic charge on
>> everything around me. Its not that the atmosphere is dry at the
>> moment. We are just seeing the last of a tropical depression and the
>> humidity has dropped to 60%.
>>
>> What am I doing wrong or, better still, what should I be doing right?
>>
>> Thanks in advance to all and sundry.
>>

>> Eric Stevens
>
>Kinetronics has several tools for anti-static film cleaning at
>different price points. See if any of these will help;
>
>http://kinetronics.com/store/ministat.html
>http://kinetronics.com/store/kinestat_prod.html
>http://kinetronics.com/store/kse.html
>http://www.kinetronics.com/store/2005_IonizerFilmCleaner.pdf

Now thats a good suggestion. I won't do it your way but I will rig up
a pair of antistatic brushes designed to clean vinyl LP records.
http://www.productwiki.com/carbon-fibre-record-cleaning-brush/

Second thoughts. These brushes use carbon fibres. Am I introducing a
scratch problem? I don't think so. Vinyl records are likely to be
vulnerable to scratch damage also. Still I will tread cautiously.

Eric Stevens
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Prev: Sony NEX sales, question