From: Peter on
> On 2010-06-08 06:13:12 -0700, "Peter" <peternew(a)nospamoptonline.net> said:
>

>>> of the original level. It decades into lead, which is not radioactive.
>>> So
>>> after 20 years, a polonium source is no longer hazardous (and it is
>>> actually
>>> lead rather than polonium).
>>

>> That would be two decades
>
> Two decades of decay.

Too much decay reminds me that I have a dentist appointment.

--
Peter

From: Pete on
On 2010-06-08 14:41:39 +0100, Savageduck said:

> On 2010-06-08 06:10:24 -0700, "Peter" <peternew(a)nospamoptonline.net> said:
>
>> "Savageduck" <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote in message
>>

>>> Damn!
>>> You just reminded me. I have two of those brushes packed away with
>>> about 1500 LPs, turntable, speakers, a Marantz amp, a Denon amp, and
>>> plenty of dust.
>>> I haven't gone through any of that stuff in about 20 years.
>>>

>> My Marantz amp=pre amp just sits on a shelf, connected to nothing. At
>> one time I thought I would use it for TV surround sound, but current
>> systems are so good and so cheap, that it is not good for anything but
>> an honorable retirement.
>
> My Marantz is good old authodox stereo, as is the Denon. The Denon had
> AV I/O, but was never used for such.
> It makes me a little sad to have retired them, but I find comfort in
> the thought I never had the extra cash to buy the Macintosh, Levinson
> or PS Audio amps I lusted for back in those days.
>
> A few years ago I thought of dragging out my JBL speakers. When I
> checked them they had suffered terminal woofer rot :-( So they sit out
> there with good thoughts of a repair/driver replacement some day.

Any chance you could repair the JBLs and enjoy them with your Marantz
or Denon in another room? Four years ago I put a half decent stereo in
my kitchen/diner - it's changed my life more than seems possible.

--
Pete

From: GMAN on
In article <clw-546B78.17554407062010(a)news.dsl-only.net>, clw <clw(a)ohsu.gov> wrote:
>In article <7pnq06t1f39341i6s1rccmkjmsm5l2nmhk(a)4ax.com>,
> rwalker <rwalker(a)despammed.com> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 7 Jun 2010 09:15:36 -0700, Savageduck
>> <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

>> >Not if you wet shave the cat once a week. ;-)
>>
>> I presume you use welder's gloves and wear iron suit to do that. :)
>
>No, kill the cat first. But, of course, that is what should have been
>done the moment it was born. Of, having missed that opportunity, feed
>the Racoons.
cant wait till you are gone.
From: Mxsmanic on
Peter writes:

> That would be two decades

Rrr ... decays, not decades. I was in a terrible rush.
From: Tzortzakakis Dimitris on

> On 2010-06-08 06:57:39 -0700, Pete <available.on.request(a)aserver.invalid>
> said:
>
>> On 2010-06-08 14:41:39 +0100, Savageduck said:

>>> My Marantz is good old authodox stereo, as is the Denon. The Denon had
>>> AV I/O, but was never used for such.
>>> It makes me a little sad to have retired them, but I find comfort in the
>>> thought I never had the extra cash to buy the Macintosh, Levinson or PS
>>> Audio amps I lusted for back in those days.
>>>
>>> A few years ago I thought of dragging out my JBL speakers. When I
>>> checked them they had suffered terminal woofer rot :-( So they sit out
>>> there with good thoughts of a repair/driver replacement some day.
>>
>> Any chance you could repair the JBLs and enjoy them with your Marantz or
>> Denon in another room? Four years ago I put a half decent stereo in my
>> kitchen/diner - it's changed my life more than seems possible.
>
> The JBL's are definitely repairable, and I always thought of putting them
> back into service.
> When we bought this house back in 1993, my wife had other ideas about
> those "nasty, big, & ugly" speakers spoiling her decorating plans, and
> that was one of the driving forces moving them out of sight.
> After she died in 2007 I had plans to create my "mancave", but they have
> not come to fruition.
>
> They have quite a large footprint 42"H x 14"D x 12"W, with walnut finish.

I have finally bought a new separates stereo, last year, after 20 years of
longing:-) It's Cambridge Audio, with Mordaunt-Short speakers, and a
Pro-ject turntable. It made my life better. I can even get brand new
records, I got Sinatra and Talking Heads and Beachboys:-) It's and
integrated amp, tuner, cd and gramophon.

--
Tzortzakakis Dimitrios
major in electrical engineering

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last