From: Eric Stevens on
For my sins I have recently been attempting to use my Epson V700
scanner to digitize some 35mm Fuji negatives.

I find that no matter how I try I cannot get rid of dust. The best
examples are barely tolerable and the worst look like a blizzard.

I've been using various combinations of brush, bellow and conductive
cloth but nothing seems to work. In fact, I think my efforts are
making things worse for me by building up an electrostatic charge on
everything around me. Its not that the atmosphere is dry at the
moment. We are just seeing the last of a tropical depression and the
humidity has dropped to 60%.

What am I doing wrong or, better still, what should I be doing right?

Thanks in advance to all and sundry.

Eric Stevens
From: Mike Russell on
On Sun, 06 Jun 2010 16:13:59 +1200, Eric Stevens wrote:

> For my sins I have recently been attempting to use my Epson V700
> scanner to digitize some 35mm Fuji negatives.
>
> I find that no matter how I try I cannot get rid of dust. The best
> examples are barely tolerable and the worst look like a blizzard.
>
> I've been using various combinations of brush, bellow and conductive
> cloth but nothing seems to work. In fact, I think my efforts are
> making things worse for me by building up an electrostatic charge on
> everything around me. Its not that the atmosphere is dry at the
> moment. We are just seeing the last of a tropical depression and the
> humidity has dropped to 60%.
Hi Eric,

Probably the problem started long ago, with the way the slides were stored.

It's been some years since I did much slide scanning. I found that even
with relatively clean slides, it took me 30 seconds or even more to remove
the couple of flecks of dust from each slide. It's faster to clone out a
few specs in Photoshop than to go back and do a re-scan.

There is no easy solution - though if you have many slides, it may be worth
buying a scanner, such as a Nikon with ICE technology, which uses a
separate IR beam to detect, and remove the dust. If your budget is limited
(whose isn't), buy a used scanner on eBay, and sell it again when you're
done.
--
Mike Russell - http://www.curvemeister.com
From: Bob AZ on
> Thanks in advance to all and sundry.
>
> Eric Stevens

Eric

Send them to a lab to be washed.

Bob AZ
From: Mxsmanic on
Eric Stevens writes:

> For my sins I have recently been attempting to use my Epson V700
> scanner to digitize some 35mm Fuji negatives.
>
> I find that no matter how I try I cannot get rid of dust. The best
> examples are barely tolerable and the worst look like a blizzard.
>
> I've been using various combinations of brush, bellow and conductive
> cloth but nothing seems to work. In fact, I think my efforts are
> making things worse for me by building up an electrostatic charge on
> everything around me. Its not that the atmosphere is dry at the
> moment. We are just seeing the last of a tropical depression and the
> humidity has dropped to 60%.
>
> What am I doing wrong or, better still, what should I be doing right?

At least at one time you could buy static brushes with a small bit of
radioactive isotope built in (electroplated polonium, as I recall). The
radioactivity was weak but sufficient to discharge static electricity at very
close range, so as you passed the brush over the film, the isotope discharged
any static build-up, making it easier to remove the dust for good.

I don't know if these are still sold. People tend to be more fearful now than
they once were, so perhaps not (although there was nothing dangerous about
these brushes unless you broke the isotope out of the brush and ate it, and
perhaps not even then).
From: ransley on
On Jun 5, 11:13 pm, Eric Stevens <eric.stev...(a)sum.co.nz> wrote:
> For my sins I have recently been attempting to use my Epson V700
> scanner to digitize some 35mm Fuji negatives.
>
> I find that no matter how I try I cannot get rid of dust. The best
> examples are barely tolerable and the worst look like a blizzard.
>
> I've been using various combinations of brush, bellow and conductive
> cloth but nothing seems to work. In fact, I think my efforts are
> making things worse for me by building up an electrostatic charge on
> everything around me. Its not that the atmosphere is dry at the
> moment. We are just seeing the last of a tropical depression and the
> humidity has dropped to 60%.
>
> What am I doing wrong or, better still, what should I be doing right?
>
> Thanks in advance to all and sundry.
>
> Eric Stevens

It isnt winter where humidity could be 10%, Ive scanned at low
humidity with no issues, 60% is actualy high. Its dirt and dust years
of poor handling and storage
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Prev: Sony NEX sales, question