From: Eric Stevens on
On Sun, 6 Jun 2010 03:45:55 -0700 (PDT), ransley
<Mark_Ransley(a)Yahoo.com> wrote:

>On Jun 5, 11:13�pm, Eric Stevens <eric.stev...(a)sum.co.nz> wrote:
>> For my sins I have recently been attempting to use my Epson V700
>> scanner to digitize some 35mm Fuji negatives.
>>
>> I find that no matter how I try I cannot get rid of dust. The best
>> examples are barely tolerable and the worst look like a blizzard.
>>
>> I've been using various combinations of brush, bellow and conductive
>> cloth but nothing seems to work. In fact, I think my efforts are
>> making things worse for me by building up an electrostatic charge on
>> everything around me. Its not that the atmosphere is dry at the
>> moment. We are just seeing the last of a tropical depression and the
>> humidity has dropped to 60%.
>>
>> What am I doing wrong or, better still, what should I be doing right?
>>
>> Thanks in advance to all and sundry.
>>
>> Eric Stevens
>
>It isnt winter where humidity could be 10%, Ive scanned at low
>humidity with no issues, 60% is actualy high.

That was my point.

>Its dirt and dust years of poor handling and storage

It's film, which has been out of its plastic sleeve only for scanning.

Eric Stevens
From: Eric Stevens on
On Sun, 6 Jun 2010 10:52:58 -0500, "George Anthony"
<georgea431298(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>"Eric Stevens" <eric.stevens(a)sum.co.nz> wrote in message
>> For my sins I have recently been attempting to use my Epson V700
>> scanner to digitize some 35mm Fuji negatives.
>>
>> I find that no matter how I try I cannot get rid of dust. The best
>> examples are barely tolerable and the worst look like a blizzard.
>>
>> I've been using various combinations of brush, bellow and conductive
>> cloth but nothing seems to work. In fact, I think my efforts are
>> making things worse for me by building up an electrostatic charge on
>> everything around me. Its not that the atmosphere is dry at the
>> moment. We are just seeing the last of a tropical depression and the
>> humidity has dropped to 60%.
>>
>> What am I doing wrong or, better still, what should I be doing right?
>>
>> Thanks in advance to all and sundry.
>>

>> Eric Stevens
>
>I don't doubt you have dust on your slides (nearly impossible not to) but,
>if you haven't all ready, I'd make sure the scanner itself is dust free.
>Between the slides and the scanner, you're talking a lot of dust possible.

As far as I can tell, everything is clean.

>--- news://freenews.netfront.net/ - complaints: news(a)netfront.net ---

Eric Stevens
From: Eric Stevens on
On Sun, 06 Jun 2010 13:05:36 -0500, Rich <none(a)nowhere.com> wrote:

>Eric Stevens <eric.stevens(a)sum.co.nz> wrote in
>
>> For my sins I have recently been attempting to use my Epson V700
>> scanner to digitize some 35mm Fuji negatives.
>>
>> I find that no matter how I try I cannot get rid of dust. The best
>> examples are barely tolerable and the worst look like a blizzard.
>>
>> I've been using various combinations of brush, bellow and conductive
>> cloth but nothing seems to work. In fact, I think my efforts are
>> making things worse for me by building up an electrostatic charge on
>> everything around me. Its not that the atmosphere is dry at the
>> moment. We are just seeing the last of a tropical depression and the
>> humidity has dropped to 60%.
>>
>> What am I doing wrong or, better still, what should I be doing right?
>>
>> Thanks in advance to all and sundry.
>>

>> Eric Stevens
>
>May seem like blasphemy, but actually polishing both sides of the negative
>with a soft-lint free cloth, then using compressed air blasts seems to work
>very well.

I wouldn't use the air out of an ordinary oil lubricated compressor.
Probably you are thinking of 'canned air' which is not actually air at
all. Depending on the 'air', this can cause a static electricity
problem, but its worth a shot. Many thanks.

Eric Stevens
From: Rich on
On Jun 6, 7:31 pm, Eric Stevens <eric.stev...(a)sum.co.nz> wrote:
> On Sun, 06 Jun 2010 13:05:36 -0500, Rich <n...(a)nowhere.com> wrote:
> >Eric Stevens <eric.stev...(a)sum.co.nz> wrote in
>
> >> For my sins I have recently been attempting to use my Epson V700
> >> scanner to digitize some 35mm Fuji negatives.
>
> >> I find that no matter how I try I cannot get rid of dust. The best
> >> examples are barely tolerable and the worst look like a blizzard.
>
> >> I've been using various combinations of brush, bellow and conductive
> >> cloth but nothing seems to work. In fact, I think my efforts are
> >> making things worse for me by building up an electrostatic charge on
> >> everything around me. Its not that the atmosphere is dry at the
> >> moment. We are just seeing the last of a tropical depression and the
> >> humidity has dropped to 60%.
>
> >> What am I doing wrong or, better still, what should I be doing right?
>
> >> Thanks in advance to all and sundry.
>
> >> Eric Stevens
>
> >May seem like blasphemy, but actually polishing both sides of the negative
> >with a soft-lint free cloth, then using compressed air blasts seems to work
> >very well.
>
> I wouldn't use the air out of an ordinary oil lubricated compressor.
> Probably you are thinking of 'canned air' which is not actually air at
> all. Depending on the 'air', this can cause a static electricity
> problem, but its worth a shot. Many thanks.
>
> Eric Stevens

I did darkroom printing for a long time and unless you have a dust-
proof room, particles seem to glue themselves to the wet emulsion
surface, hence the need for some physical method of removing them. I
envy those who had dustless drying cabinets. Use micro-filtered
compressed "gas" just prior to printing or scanning. I'm wondering how
well the wet-mount negative holders abate dust visibility?
From: Eric Stevens on
On Mon, 07 Jun 2010 11:24:03 +1200, Eric Stevens
<eric.stevens(a)sum.co.nz> wrote:

>On Sun, 6 Jun 2010 01:03:31 -0700, Savageduck
><savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
>
>>On 2010-06-05 21:13:59 -0700, Eric Stevens <eric.stevens(a)sum.co.nz> said:
>>
>>> For my sins I have recently been attempting to use my Epson V700
>>> scanner to digitize some 35mm Fuji negatives.
>>>
>>> I find that no matter how I try I cannot get rid of dust. The best
>>> examples are barely tolerable and the worst look like a blizzard.
>>>
>>> I've been using various combinations of brush, bellow and conductive
>>> cloth but nothing seems to work. In fact, I think my efforts are
>>> making things worse for me by building up an electrostatic charge on
>>> everything around me. Its not that the atmosphere is dry at the
>>> moment. We are just seeing the last of a tropical depression and the
>>> humidity has dropped to 60%.
>>>
>>> What am I doing wrong or, better still, what should I be doing right?
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance to all and sundry.
>>>

>>> Eric Stevens
>>
>>Kinetronics has several tools for anti-static film cleaning at
>>different price points. See if any of these will help;
>>
>>http://kinetronics.com/store/ministat.html
>>http://kinetronics.com/store/kinestat_prod.html
>>http://kinetronics.com/store/kse.html
>>http://www.kinetronics.com/store/2005_IonizerFilmCleaner.pdf
>
>Now thats a good suggestion. I won't do it your way but I will rig up
>a pair of antistatic brushes designed to clean vinyl LP records.
>http://www.productwiki.com/carbon-fibre-record-cleaning-brush/
>
>Second thoughts. These brushes use carbon fibres. Am I introducing a
>scratch problem? I don't think so. Vinyl records are likely to be
>vulnerable to scratch damage also. Still I will tread cautiously.

Just using a single antistatic brush makes a vast improvement.
Virtually all traces of general dust have now gone. Unfortunately I am
still dealing with remnant hairs from our ancient Balinese cat who
died at the age of 21 about 18 months ago. All the brush seems to do
with these is align them. So far the 'heal' tool in NX2 seems to be
able to deal with them.

Eric Stevens
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8