From: Peter on
> On 2010-06-08 06:10:24 -0700, "Peter" <peternew(a)nospamoptonline.net> said:
>
>> "Savageduck" <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote in message
>>

>>> Damn!
>>> You just reminded me. I have two of those brushes packed away with about
>>> 1500 LPs, turntable, speakers, a Marantz amp, a Denon amp, and plenty of
>>> dust.
>>> I haven't gone through any of that stuff in about 20 years.
>>>

>> My Marantz amp=pre amp just sits on a shelf, connected to nothing. At one
>> time I thought I would use it for TV surround sound, but current systems
>> are so good and so cheap, that it is not good for anything but an
>> honorable retirement.
>
> My Marantz is good old authodox stereo, as is the Denon. The Denon had AV
> I/O, but was never used for such.
> It makes me a little sad to have retired them, but I find comfort in the
> thought I never had the extra cash to buy the Macintosh, Levinson or PS
> Audio amps I lusted for back in those days.
>
> A few years ago I thought of dragging out my JBL speakers. When I checked
> them they had suffered terminal woofer rot :-( So they sit out there with
> good thoughts of a repair/driver replacement some day.

My Bose are used as plant holders. Since we moved to a co-op, I want to be
careful not to disturb my neighbors. The walls are thin and we have
different tastes in music.

--
Peter

From: Peter on
"Mxsmanic" <mxsmanic(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
> Peter writes:
>
>> That would be two decades
>
> Rrr ... decays, not decades. I was in a terrible rush.

We know. Most us us have done that at one time or another. But that typo in
context of your twenty year statement, made mine irresistible.

--
Peter

From: Peter on
"Eric Stevens" <eric.stevens(a)sum.co.nz> wrote in message
> On Sun, 6 Jun 2010 01:03:31 -0700, Savageduck
> <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
>
>>On 2010-06-05 21:13:59 -0700, Eric Stevens <eric.stevens(a)sum.co.nz> said:
>>
>>> For my sins I have recently been attempting to use my Epson V700
>>> scanner to digitize some 35mm Fuji negatives.
>>>
>>> I find that no matter how I try I cannot get rid of dust. The best
>>> examples are barely tolerable and the worst look like a blizzard.
>>>
>>> I've been using various combinations of brush, bellow and conductive
>>> cloth but nothing seems to work. In fact, I think my efforts are
>>> making things worse for me by building up an electrostatic charge on
>>> everything around me. Its not that the atmosphere is dry at the
>>> moment. We are just seeing the last of a tropical depression and the
>>> humidity has dropped to 60%.
>>>
>>> What am I doing wrong or, better still, what should I be doing right?
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance to all and sundry.
>>>

>>> Eric Stevens
>>
>>Kinetronics has several tools for anti-static film cleaning at
>>different price points. See if any of these will help;
>>
>>http://kinetronics.com/store/ministat.html
>>http://kinetronics.com/store/kinestat_prod.html
>>http://kinetronics.com/store/kse.html
>>http://www.kinetronics.com/store/2005_IonizerFilmCleaner.pdf
>
> Now thats a good suggestion. I won't do it your way but I will rig up
> a pair of antistatic brushes designed to clean vinyl LP records.
> http://www.productwiki.com/carbon-fibre-record-cleaning-brush/
>
> Second thoughts. These brushes use carbon fibres. Am I introducing a
> scratch problem? I don't think so. Vinyl records are likely to be
> vulnerable to scratch damage also. Still I will tread cautiously.

Now that I think of it, can you go back to basics. give them a bath with
just a drop of detergent or other wetting agent, to prevent spotting. And
let dry. If you are careful you might be able to wipe the negatives with a
chamois or microfiber cloth.

--
Peter

From: Nervous Nick on
On Jun 5, 11:13 pm, Eric Stevens <eric.stev...(a)sum.co.nz> wrote:
> For my sins I have recently been attempting to use my Epson V700
> scanner to digitize some 35mm Fuji negatives.
>
> I find that no matter how I try I cannot get rid of dust. The best
> examples are barely tolerable and the worst look like a blizzard.
>
> I've been using various combinations of brush, bellow and conductive
> cloth but nothing seems to work. In fact, I think my efforts are
> making things worse for me by building up an electrostatic charge on
> everything around me. Its not that the atmosphere is dry at the
> moment. We are just seeing the last of a tropical depression and the
> humidity has dropped to 60%.
>
> What am I doing wrong or, better still, what should I be doing right?

For a really tenacious piece of stuff on film, just dab at it with the
adhesive from a piece of cello tape. It might sound weird but nine
times out of ten it lifts it right off. Be gentle, of course.

And generally, if you are doing this sort of work, you want to do it
in a humid environment to reduce static, so wait for a humid day, or
run a hot shower, if at home, to increase the relative humidity of
your workspace.

--
YOP...
From: Savageduck on
On 2010-06-29 20:11:37 -0700, John Turco <jtur(a)concentric.net> said:

> Savageduck wrote:
>>
>> On 2010-06-08 06:10:24 -0700, "Peter" <peternew(a)nospamoptonline.net> said:
>>
>>> "Savageduck" <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote in message

>>> My Marantz amp=pre amp just sits on a shelf, connected to nothing. At
>>> one time I thought I would use it for TV surround sound, but current
>>> systems are so good and so cheap, that it is not good for anything but
>>> an honorable retirement.
>>
>> My Marantz is good old authodox stereo, as is the Denon. The Denon had
>> AV I/O, but was never used for such.
>> It makes me a little sad to have retired them, but I find comfort in
>> the thought I never had the extra cash to buy the Macintosh, Levinson
>> or PS Audio amps I lusted for back in those days.
>>
>> A few years ago I thought of dragging out my JBL speakers. When I
>> checked them they had suffered terminal woofer rot :-( So they sit out
>> there with good thoughts of a repair/driver replacement some day.
>

> You don't need no steenkin' "amp=pre amp" equipment, dog! I own a
> "lowly" Sony STR-DG720 (105 watts x 7.1 channel A/V receiver, with
> three HDMI inputs) and it really enhances my home theater system.
>
> "Iron Man" (2008) happened to be among the first Blu-rays that I'd
> viewed, with the STR-DG720 connected; it was the best-sounding movie
> I've ever heard. (Very crisp and clear, with thunderous base coming
> from my KLH 200W amplified subwoofer.)
>
> Albeit, this particular disc boasts the most dazzling video and
> audio quality, of all the motion pictures in my collection.

Well, I was refering to audio equipment of a much earlier vintage,
around 1975. No Blu-Ray back then.

--
Regards,

Savageduck