From: Neil Harrington on

"tony cooper" <tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> wrote in message
> On Wed, 7 Jul 2010 16:18:03 -0400, "Neil Harrington"
> <nobody(a)homehere.net> wrote:
>

>>My objection is that it stands for "point and shoot," which does not
>>properly describe most of the cameras one sees referenced in that way.
>
> Can you not point and shoot with a p&s camera?

A compact you mean? Sure, and you can point and shoot with a D3 as well. No
one calls the latter a P&S though.

From: Ben Dover on
On Thu, 08 Jul 2010 00:07:30 -0400, tony cooper
<tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> wrote:

>On Wed, 7 Jul 2010 23:43:18 -0400, "Neil Harrington"
><nobody(a)homehere.net> wrote:
>
>>If I want to speed up I step on the gas. Foot off the gas and it goes back
>>to the cruise control setting, unless I've done something to change it.
>>Slowing down for a slower car in front of me I use the brake, which also
>>disengages the cruise control. Every car I've owned with cruise control has
>>worked that way. The only time I use the + and - buttons is to set or
>>resume, or *rarely* to make small adjustments to the speed setting. You must
>>do an awful lot of button pushing if you do as you say.
>
>In our cars, foot on the gas while on cruise control speeds up the
>car, and the car goes back to the set speed when the foot is removed.
>To go slower, there's a button for (I think it's labeled) "coast".
>Release that and the car resumes the set speed. However, I usually
>tap the brake to slow and then re-set.
>
>I wouldn't comment on John's car. Obviously, unless one has driven
>John's make, model, and his personal car, one shouldn't.

Obviously, since you are comparing your own limited skills with your own
devices YOU shouldn't be comparing your limitations with anyone else's
expertise.

From: Outing Trolls is FUN! on
On Thu, 8 Jul 2010 00:05:46 -0400, "Neil Harrington" <nobody(a)homehere.net>
wrote:

>They are handy when one needs a compact camera with a wide range of focal
>lengths without carrying anything beside the camera itself, and THERE WILL
>BE PLENTY OF LIGHT.

You don't have much skills with cameras, do you. More than obvious from
this comment of yours.

From: John Navas on
On Wed, 7 Jul 2010 23:43:18 -0400, in
<Eb-dnceG5oPA1KjRnZ2dnUVZ_sudnZ2d(a)giganews.com>, "Neil Harrington"
<nobody(a)homehere.net> wrote:

>"John Navas" <spamfilter1(a)navasgroup.com> wrote in message

>> For you. Not for me. You're trying to project your limitations onto
>> everyone else again.
>
>It isn't a question of my "limitations." I believe anyone would find a
>manual zoom easier, faster and more accurate to use than any motorized zoom,
>regardless of his experience with the latter.

For me it works fine. For you it doesn't.
Nothing more to be said. End of story.

>> You're obviously unfamiliar with the FZ28. The zoom control is a single
>> two-speed rotary switch around the shutter button. No zoom pushbuttons
>> whatsoever. Will you now be big enough to admit your mistake?
>
>Yes, of course. I've been talking about pushbuttons and thinking of that
>arrangement only, since most of my compact cameras use buttons for zooming.
>When you mentioned "multi-speed rotary control" I thought you meant
>something like Minolta's briefly marketed motorized "zooms" (actually
>varifocals) for their SLRs, which had a zoom control around the lens that
>looked like a manual control, but wasn't.
>
>My FZ35 has the same two-speed rotary control around the shutter release as
>your FZ28. I had frankly forgotten about that, not having used the camera
>for some time.

Unfortunately, as Watergate conspirator H.R. Haldeman famously said,
�You can't put the toothpaste back in the tube.� It's too late to claim
you really do know your camera when you've made such a basic mistake
about how it works. Since you don't even know your own camera terribly
well, much less mine, it's not terribly surprising you have trouble with
the non-"pushbutton" power zoom.

>> We obviously do. I use cruise control to both speed up and slow down,
>> fine adjusting the speed of the vehicle, much more precise and simple
>> that disengaging the cruise control to use the accelerator pedal.
>> For me, that is. Not apparently for you.
>
>If I want to speed up I step on the gas. Foot off the gas and it goes back
>to the cruise control setting, unless I've done something to change it.
>Slowing down for a slower car in front of me I use the brake, which also
>disengages the cruise control. Every car I've owned with cruise control has
>worked that way. The only time I use the + and - buttons is to set or
>resume, or *rarely* to make small adjustments to the speed setting. You must
>do an awful lot of button pushing if you do as you say.

Nope. Just the occasional fine adjustment. Perhaps I'm just a less
aggressive driver than you are. But this has nothing to do with
photography, so this is all I'm going to say about it.

>> Except it's not. You've admitted to zero experience with the FZ28, and
>
>Yes. Zero experience with the FZ28 and not really a lot with the FZ35
>either. But it is still practically the same as the FZ28. If you think it's
>not, tell me what you think the important differences are.

I've not used the FZ35 enough to have a meaningful opinion.

>> Varifocal also makes more sophisticated optics possible, enabling sharp
>
>Not "more sophisticated," just more compact. Not having to be parfocal
>allows a much simpler design. There have been small 35mm cameras with
>four-element zoom lenses, an amazing simplification.

That's a red herring. As you ought to know, Panasonic superzooms
actually have complex, sophisticated lens designs.

>> images with minimal distortion over very long zoom ranges. It's a huge
>> advantage -- there are no comparable lenses for dSLR cameras at any
>> price.
>
>That is entirely because of the difference in format sizes. ...

Your opinion, Not mine. We'll just have to agree to disagree.

>I have a 15x zoom lens for my DX Nikons -- compares well with the
>tiny-format superzooms, considering the format difference, and I'd put it up
>against any of them for definition and low distortion.

Sorry, but not even close.

>> Been there; done that;
>
>No, as a matter of fact, you have not. I've asked the question several times
>and you have always declined to answer it.

I've repeatedly answered you. You just don't like the answers.

>> and growing very tired of your endless attempt to
>> blame *my* equipment, which works just fine for me, for *your* own
>> limitations.
>
>I'm hardly "blaming" your equipment, John.

OK, then you're making disparaging characterizations about a camera with
which you have no actual experience.

>I like the FZ35 myself as I've
>mentioned a number of times, and surely would like your FZ28 too since the
>FZ35 appears to be a slightly improved version of the same camera. As I have
>said, there's little apparent difference between them. You keep insisting
>that there must be some important difference, though what that might be you
>evidently cannot say.

Correct. Unlike you, I won't rely on guesswork and 2nd-hand
information. I can speak to the differences between the FZ28 and
several prior models based on a great deal of actual experience, but not
the FZ35.

--
John

"Facts? We ain't got no facts. We don't need no facts. I don't have
to show you any stinking facts!" [with apologies to John Huston]
From: nospam on
In article <kria369g7rfe0lqo09ca3a0u7kluihvb9t(a)4ax.com>, John Navas
<spamfilter1(a)navasgroup.com> wrote:

> >It isn't a question of my "limitations." I believe anyone would find a
> >manual zoom easier, faster and more accurate to use than any motorized zoom,
> >regardless of his experience with the latter.
>
> For me it works fine. For you it doesn't.
> Nothing more to be said. End of story.

your standards are lower.

> >> Varifocal also makes more sophisticated optics possible, enabling sharp
> >
> >Not "more sophisticated," just more compact. Not having to be parfocal
> >allows a much simpler design. There have been small 35mm cameras with
> >four-element zoom lenses, an amazing simplification.
>
> That's a red herring. As you ought to know, Panasonic superzooms
> actually have complex, sophisticated lens designs.

as *you* ought to know, all modern lenses are complex and
sophisticated, not just panasonic.