From: John Navas on
On Thu, 8 Jul 2010 11:08:58 -0700, in
<RLednVhsgvCiiavRnZ2dnUVZ_jmdnZ2d(a)giganews.com>, "Frank ess"
<frank(a)fshe2fs.com> wrote:

>SMS wrote:

>> Unfortunately his attitude extends to many other areas outside of
>> digital camera equipment as well.
>
>---> It would be one thing if anything
>> he wrote was grounded in reality and backed up by facts, but it
>> rarely isn't. <---
>
>Hm?

Steven has a bad habit of not reflecting on the silly things he says
before dashing them off, then having to try to excuse or defend them.

--
John

"It is better to sit in silence and appear ignorant,
than to open your mouth and remove all doubt." -Mark Twain
"A little learning is a dangerous thing." -Alexander Pope
"Being ignorant is not so much a shame,
as being unwilling to learn." -Benjamin Franklin
From: John Navas on
On Thu, 8 Jul 2010 19:11:55 +0100, in
<i154dd$gtr$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>, "David J Taylor"
<david-taylor(a)blueyonder.co.uk.invalid> wrote:

>"Neil Harrington" <nobody(a)homehere.net> wrote in message
>[]
>> Well, my FZ35 is significantly more compact than my D40-family cameras
>> (with usual kit lens), and those I regard as "small body" Nikons. But
>> I'll agree some others (Coolpix 8800, DiMAGE 7Hi, etc.) would be
>> stretching the term "compact" too far. I suppose "superzoom" is the best
>> term for that type of camera since it isn't likely to be confused with
>> anything else.
>>
>> "Compact" I think is the best used for more or less pocketable cameras
>> (Optio 750Z, Coolpix 5900, Powershot S80, etc.) while "ultracompact"
>> should be reserved for those cameras that are really shirt-pocket size
>> (Optio S4i, Coolpix S510 and thereabouts).
>
>Superzoom and compact are terms I would quite happily use, while retaining
>the generic term P&S to cover both. ...

We wouldn't want to miss an opportunity for pejorative bashing, now
would we. You must be terribly insecure and threatened.

--
John

"At every crossway on the road that leads to the future, each progressive
spirit is opposed by a thousand men appointed to guard the past." -Maeterlinck
From: SMS on
On 08/07/10 11:08 AM, Frank ess wrote:

> SMS wrote:
>> On 08/07/10 10:55 AM, Bruce wrote:

>>> John Navas's problem is, and always has been, that his modest needs
>>> are completely satisfied by mediocre equipment.
>>
>> Nothing wrong with that actually, he's no different than most users
>> of digital camera equipment.
>>
>>> He simply cannot understand why some people need, or at least
>>> aspire to, something better. He gets irrationally angry when they
>>> point this out, then claims that his mediocre equipment is
>>> "excellent".
>>
>> Unfortunately his attitude extends to many other areas outside of
>> digital camera equipment as well.
>

> ---> It would be one thing if anything
>> he wrote was grounded in reality and backed up by facts, but it
>> rarely isn't. <---
>
> Hm?

Oops. Well you know what was intended to be written!
From: Chris Malcolm on
John Navas <spamfilter1(a)navasgroup.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 8 Jul 2010 12:31:43 -0400, in
> <seydnXXzTc7lYKjRnZ2dnUVZ_r2dnZ2d(a)giganews.com>, "Neil Harrington"
> <nobody(a)homehere.net> wrote:
>>"David J Taylor" <david-taylor(a)blueyonder.co.uk.invalid> wrote in message

>>> What term would you suggest for such cameras - they certainly aren't
>>> "compact".
>>
>>Well, my FZ35 is significantly more compact than my D40-family cameras (with
>>usual kit lens), and those I regard as "small body" Nikons. But I'll agree
>>some others (Coolpix 8800, DiMAGE 7Hi, etc.) would be stretching the term
>>"compact" too far. I suppose "superzoom" is the best term for that type of
>>camera since it isn't likely to be confused with anything else.
>>
>>"Compact" I think is the best used for more or less pocketable cameras
>>(Optio 750Z, Coolpix 5900, Powershot S80, etc.) while "ultracompact" should
>>be reserved for those cameras that are really shirt-pocket size (Optio S4i,
>>Coolpix S510 and thereabouts).

> You need to broaden your horizons -- the FZ28 is easily pocketable in
> the jackets I use for outdoor shooting.

My shooting waistcoat has two big pockets each one of which can easily
take a medium sized DSLR fitted with a 500mm reflex lens.

--
Chris Malcolm
Warning: none of the above is indisputable fact.
From: nospam on
In article <g7qdnUKqyat0bqjRnZ2dnUVZ_gidnZ2d(a)giganews.com>, Neil
Harrington <nobody(a)homehere.net> wrote:

> > Offensive put-downs from dSLR fans threatened by them. Shame on you.
> > Are you really that insecure?
>
> How is anything I said an "offensive put-down"? I just said I took the FZ35
> because I thought it would be ideal for that situation. That's an "offensive
> put-down"?

anything that contradicts him is a put-down. haven't you noticed?

> I think you are getting paranoid about this whole business, John.

very much so.