From: John Navas on
On Thu, 08 Jul 2010 18:55:42 +0100, in
<nt3c36tnj1borf5fgu4v4fkevve77j95nl(a)4ax.com>, Bruce
<docnews2011(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>On Thu, 8 Jul 2010 11:50:56 -0400, "Neil Harrington"
><nobody(a)homehere.net> wrote:
>>How is anything I said an "offensive put-down"? I just said I took the FZ35
>>because I thought it would be ideal for that situation. That's an "offensive
>>put-down"?
>>
>>I think you are getting paranoid about this whole business, John.
>
>John Navas's problem is, and always has been, that his modest needs
>are completely satisfied by mediocre equipment.
>
>He simply cannot understand why some people need, or at least aspire
>to, something better. He gets irrationally angry when they point this
>out, then claims that his mediocre equipment is "excellent".
>
>He has been doing it for years. No doubt he will be doing it many
>years hence. Arguing with him is pointless because his values are on
>an entirely different scale, one that peaks at "mediocre".

I rest my case.

--
John

"Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level
and then beat you with experience." -Dr. Alan Zimmerman
From: SMS on
On 08/07/10 10:55 AM, Bruce wrote:
> On Thu, 8 Jul 2010 11:50:56 -0400, "Neil Harrington"
> <nobody(a)homehere.net> wrote:
>> How is anything I said an "offensive put-down"? I just said I took the FZ35
>> because I thought it would be ideal for that situation. That's an "offensive
>> put-down"?
>>
>> I think you are getting paranoid about this whole business, John.
>

> John Navas's problem is, and always has been, that his modest needs
> are completely satisfied by mediocre equipment.

Nothing wrong with that actually, he's no different than most users of
digital camera equipment.

> He simply cannot understand why some people need, or at least aspire
> to, something better. He gets irrationally angry when they point this
> out, then claims that his mediocre equipment is "excellent".

Unfortunately his attitude extends to many other areas outside of
digital camera equipment as well. It would be one thing if anything he
wrote was grounded in reality and backed up by facts, but it rarely
isn't. Instead he feels compelled to reply to every post that points out
the facts, even when he has absolutely no knowledge of the subject being
discussed. The most amusing thing is when he posts references that
completely contradict what he's saying.

> He has been doing it for years. No doubt he will be doing it many
> years hence. Arguing with him is pointless because his values are on
> an entirely different scale, one that peaks at "mediocre".

Indeed, that's why a kill-file is the best solution. He thrives on the
attention he gets with his shtick.
From: Frank ess on

SMS wrote:
> On 08/07/10 10:55 AM, Bruce wrote:
>> On Thu, 8 Jul 2010 11:50:56 -0400, "Neil Harrington"
>> <nobody(a)homehere.net> wrote:
>>> How is anything I said an "offensive put-down"? I just said I
>>> took the FZ35 because I thought it would be ideal for that
>>> situation. That's an "offensive put-down"?
>>>
>>> I think you are getting paranoid about this whole business, John.
>>

>> John Navas's problem is, and always has been, that his modest needs
>> are completely satisfied by mediocre equipment.
>
> Nothing wrong with that actually, he's no different than most users
> of digital camera equipment.
>
>> He simply cannot understand why some people need, or at least
>> aspire to, something better. He gets irrationally angry when they
>> point this out, then claims that his mediocre equipment is
>> "excellent".
>
> Unfortunately his attitude extends to many other areas outside of
> digital camera equipment as well.

---> It would be one thing if anything
> he wrote was grounded in reality and backed up by facts, but it
> rarely isn't. <---

Hm?

From: David J Taylor on
"Neil Harrington" <nobody(a)homehere.net> wrote in message
[]
> Well, my FZ35 is significantly more compact than my D40-family cameras
> (with usual kit lens), and those I regard as "small body" Nikons. But
> I'll agree some others (Coolpix 8800, DiMAGE 7Hi, etc.) would be
> stretching the term "compact" too far. I suppose "superzoom" is the best
> term for that type of camera since it isn't likely to be confused with
> anything else.
>
> "Compact" I think is the best used for more or less pocketable cameras
> (Optio 750Z, Coolpix 5900, Powershot S80, etc.) while "ultracompact"
> should be reserved for those cameras that are really shirt-pocket size
> (Optio S4i, Coolpix S510 and thereabouts).

Superzoom and compact are terms I would quite happily use, while retaining
the generic term P&S to cover both. Ultra-compact seems clumsy (to me) -
what about pocket camera?

Cheers,
David

From: John Navas on
On Thu, 08 Jul 2010 11:05:27 -0700, in
<4c361361$0$22131$742ec2ed(a)news.sonic.net>, SMS
<scharf.steven(a)geemail.com> wrote:

>On 08/07/10 10:55 AM, Bruce wrote:

>> He simply cannot understand why some people need, or at least aspire
>> to, something better. He gets irrationally angry when they point this
>> out, then claims that his mediocre equipment is "excellent".
>
>Unfortunately his attitude extends to many other areas outside of
>digital camera equipment as well. It would be one thing if anything he
>wrote was grounded in reality and backed up by facts, but it rarely
>isn't. Instead he feels compelled to reply to every post that points out
>the facts, even when he has absolutely no knowledge of the subject being
>discussed. The most amusing thing is when he posts references that
>completely contradict what he's saying.
>
>> He has been doing it for years. No doubt he will be doing it many
>> years hence. Arguing with him is pointless because his values are on
>> an entirely different scale, one that peaks at "mediocre".
>
>Indeed, that's why a kill-file is the best solution. He thrives on the
>attention he gets with his shtick.

You've described yourself perfectly.
That you project your own faults onto others is telling.

--
John

"It is better to sit in silence and appear ignorant,
than to open your mouth and remove all doubt." -Mark Twain
"A little learning is a dangerous thing." -Alexander Pope
"Being ignorant is not so much a shame,
as being unwilling to learn." -Benjamin Franklin