From: Bob Larter on
Helping the Clueless wrote:
> On 16 Oct 2009 15:38:25 GMT, ray <ray(a)zianet.com> wrote:
>
>> Frankly I think you overstate the situation somewhat - I agree with the
>> point, it's just a matter of degree.
>
> Not overstated at all, maybe even understated. When I did the comparison I
> also used the most inexpensive lenses I could find for the DSLR (for the
> budget-conscious photographer). I'm not sure that would even provide image
> quality from the DSLR equal to what already exists in the P&S camera. To
> get the same focal-length range, aperture, and image quality as already
> exists in the P&S camera for under $350 it will take over 23 lbs. of glass,
> REQUIRED tripod, and DSLR, costing upward of $6,000.

Oh bullshit. You can take amazing photos with any random Canon[0] DLSR &
the most basic ($100) 50mm/F1.8 lens. That particular one weighs all of
about 100gms. If you can't take a decent photo with that combination,
you aren't a real photographer.

[0] Ditto for other brands, I'm sure, but Canon is the one I'm familiar
with.

From: Bob Larter on
Neil Ellwood wrote:
> On Fri, 16 Oct 2009 00:15:34 +0000, ray wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 15 Oct 2009 21:21:43 +0000, David J Taylor wrote:
>>
>>> "ray" <ray(a)zianet.com> wrote in message

>>> Nikon D40 - 522g (1.2lb)
>>> 18-200mm lens - 560g (19.8 oz)
>> A 400mm or so would be really nice - that's the equiv I have on my P&S.
>>

>>> Total: 2.4lbs
>> That's a fair amount of tonnage.
>>

>>> David
>
> I have a 150 - 400mm as well as a couple of other lenses that I carry
> round when I need to. If I can do this at 77 why can't younger people do
> it?

Good question. I'm only 43, & I certainly have no trouble carting around
my favourite lenses.

From: John Navas on
On Sun, 18 Oct 2009 00:45:03 +1000, Bob Larter <bobbylarter(a)gmail.com>
wrote in <4ad9ca62$1(a)dnews.tpgi.com.au>:

>>> A 400mm or so would be really nice - that's the equiv I have on my P&S.

>>> That's a fair amount of tonnage.

>> I have a 150 - 400mm as well as a couple of other lenses that I carry
>> round when I need to. If I can do this at 77 why can't younger people do
>> it?
>
>Good question. I'm only 43, & I certainly have no trouble carting around
>my favourite lenses.

Good on ya for being willing and able to lug around a ton of dSLR gear,
versus my light and capable super-zoom, but I've been there, done that,
won't go back, don't envy you!

--
Best regards,
John <http:/navasgroup.com>

"If the only tool you have is a hammer, you will see every problem as a nail."
-Abraham Maslow
From: Paul Furman on
the troll wrote:
> Bob Larter wrote:
>> the troll wrote:

>>> Not overstated at all, maybe even understated. When I did the comparison I
>>> also used the most inexpensive lenses I could find for the DSLR (for the
>>> budget-conscious photographer). I'm not sure that would even provide image
>>> quality from the DSLR equal to what already exists in the P&S camera. To
>>> get the same focal-length range, aperture, and image quality as already
>>> exists in the P&S camera for under $350 it will take over 23 lbs. of glass,
>>> REQUIRED tripod, and DSLR, costing upward of $6,000.
>>
>> ...You can take amazing photos with any random Canon[0] DLSR &
>> the most basic ($100) 50mm/F1.8 lens. That particular one weighs all of
>> about 100gms. If you can't take a decent photo with that combination,
>> you aren't a real photographer.
>>
>> [0] Ditto for other brands, I'm sure, but Canon is the one I'm familiar
>> with.
>
> ...I can take amazing photos with a Brownie
> Box camera too. That's not the issue here...

Yes it is the issue. I can take good photos on my cell phone but better
quality with a better camera.

> Nobody's talking about a fixed focal-length lens camera. Except for the OP
> ...and his imaginary P&S to DSLR holy-conversion he claims to have
> caused... All
> he's managed to do is bring another sucker in-line for the expensive and
> extensive glass purchases required to make that DSLR the least bit useful.
> If a fixed focal-length lens is the only requirement then why buy an
> expensive interchangeable lens camera at all? ...

For DOF effects, for speed, for low light performance, less distortion &
chromatic aberrations & purple fringing, more dynamic range, optical
viewfinder.

> Add up the weight, size, and cost for ALL the DSLR glass AND adequately
> heavy tripod that is required to match or exceed the apertures and
> focal-lengths available in a lightweight and compact superzoom camera, one
> which has already proved to provide images even better than that DSLR.

Yep, it'll cost a fortune & weigh a ton. However, one could figure ISO
performance against aperture in the P&S and the numbers would change
substantially. Compare a 420mm eq shot on a P&S at f/2.8 at ISO 400 with
the equivalent at f/4 on a full frame DSLR using the same shutter speed
and the noise level would match at about ISO 3200 so you lose one stop
of lens speed but gain a total of 2 stops in ISO performance for an
equivalent shot. So you can actually take a picture of that owl swooping
through the dark forest which would be impossible on the P&S. I'm
figuring a big 300mm f/2.8 lens with 1.4x teleconverter on FX at f/4 or
without the converter on DX at f/2.8 and ISO 1600, same difference. For
wideangle I can go to 12mm rectilinear or 10.5 almost circular fisheye
and the P&S stops at 28mm equivalent. Again, there are things I can do
that the P&S simply cannot. There is a big price to pay of course.

> Then
> haul that equipment on a three week or longer hike into some of the most
> remote and unforgiving lands on earth. Hell, just go on a Grand Canyon
> trail-hike groomed for wussy tourists, I bet you couldn't even do that with
> the equivalent photo gear. You'd drop dead after the first 6 hours of
> walking. Or at least we can all hope so.

I did a 10 mile day hike in August Utah heat with a 15 lb kit this year:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/edgehill/3844872974/in/set-72157621828932019/
I did 100 miles with a super-8 movie camera 20 years ago in the same
area: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-NOmBO2TqI

> A creative nature-photographer requires a wide range of lenses to get the
> job done, from macro to wide-angle to extreme telephoto, always at their
> disposal.

There is plenty that can be done with just creativity and a prime lens
and more with a reversing ring or extension tubes and 3 or 4 compact
lenses. I can bring a compact tele like the 75-150 f/3.5 & get
spectacular razor sharp or creamy bokeh results, that just lacks AF & VR
but is real close to the performance of the 70-200/2.8 and fits in my
pants pocket.

> They don't have time to hike back fifty miles to go get another
> lens out the studio storage-cabinet or their last transport vehicle
> whenever they want. Why even bother with that hassle when the superzoom
> camera can already provide images better than that DSLR

In low contrast full sun, compared to a cheap kit zoom only.

> and changeable
> lens. That's already been proved. That's just not idle wishing and
> speculation, that's a cold hard FACT.

No, it's a gross exaggeration.

> (we've all seen your crapshots, remember?)

What about yours?

> add up how many shots, or even days worth of shots, that you were forced to
> miss because you had to quickly risk changing lenses during that dust
> storm. All in order to capture a once-in-a-lifetime image of that immense
> wall of sand rolling through the sunset-lit archeological ruins you were
> photographing one-hundred miles from the nearest paved road.

That's why I carry a backup DX body with the long lens mounted & ready
to go <g>. How many shots have you missed while waiting for the camera
to turn on & lens extend? Wide angle only possible by stitching, not
enough light, etc. There are always trade-offs with different systems.

--
Paul Furman
www.edgehill.net

From: DRS on
"Bob Larter" <bobbylarter(a)gmail.com> wrote in message

[...]

> I don't have the slightest problem with people who prefer a P&S to a
> DSLR. The bit that confuses me is why they feel the need to post about
> P&Ses to a *DSLR specific* newsgroup.

Bob, Bob, Bob. The answer lies in your own signature.