From: John McWilliams on
ray wrote:
> On Mon, 19 Oct 2009 09:26:54 -0700, John McWilliams wrote:
>
>> ray wrote:
>>> Let me see: rec.photo.digital == DSLR - interesting hypothesis.
>> ray-
>>
>> Do you not see that the post has been going to two NGs? Since the o.p.??
>
> Yeah - I noticed. I've only read and responded here hence, IMHO, I'm not
> having a need to post to a dslr specific newsgroup.

Whatever. Your posts have all been going to whatever groups are in the
headers, in this case two NGs. In other words, you are posting a dslr
group.

--
john mcwilliams
From: Chris Malcolm on
In rec.photo.digital Helping the Clueless <hclueless(a)clues.org> wrote:
> On 16 Oct 2009 15:38:25 GMT, ray <ray(a)zianet.com> wrote:

>>Frankly I think you overstate the situation somewhat - I agree with the
>>point, it's just a matter of degree.

> Not overstated at all, maybe even understated. When I did the comparison I
> also used the most inexpensive lenses I could find for the DSLR (for the
> budget-conscious photographer). I'm not sure that would even provide image
> quality from the DSLR equal to what already exists in the P&S camera. To
> get the same focal-length range, aperture, and image quality as already
> exists in the P&S camera for under $350 it will take over 23 lbs. of glass,
> REQUIRED tripod, and DSLR, costing upward of $6,000.

I can't imagine how you got anywhere near that weight or cost if as
you say you were choosing the cheapest DSLR lenses. Can you itemise
the shopping list that tots up to 23 lbs weight and $6,000?

--
Chris Malcolm
From: John McWilliams on
Chris Malcolm wrote:
> In rec.photo.digital Helping the Clueless <hclueless(a)clues.org> wrote:
>> On 16 Oct 2009 15:38:25 GMT, ray <ray(a)zianet.com> wrote:
>
>>> Frankly I think you overstate the situation somewhat - I agree with the
>>> point, it's just a matter of degree.
>
>> Not overstated at all, maybe even understated. When I did the comparison I
>> also used the most inexpensive lenses I could find for the DSLR (for the
>> budget-conscious photographer). I'm not sure that would even provide image
>> quality from the DSLR equal to what already exists in the P&S camera. To
>> get the same focal-length range, aperture, and image quality as already
>> exists in the P&S camera for under $350 it will take over 23 lbs. of glass,
>> REQUIRED tripod, and DSLR, costing upward of $6,000.
>
> I can't imagine how you got anywhere near that weight or cost if as
> you say you were choosing the cheapest DSLR lenses. Can you itemise
> the shopping list that tots up to 23 lbs weight and $6,000?

You're simply encouraging the pest to continue here. In this case, he's
trolling with a slow hook. But it's the same pest......

--
john mcwilliams
From: Pete Stavrakoglou on
"Alfred Molon" <alfred_molon(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
> In article <HnMBm.3649$KR3.3497(a)text.news.virginmedia.com>, David J
> Taylor says...
>> Nikon D40 - 522g (1.2lb)
>> 18-200mm lens - 560g (19.8 oz)
>>
>> Total: 2.4lbs
>
> That's heavy, especially if you have to carry it the whole day with you.
> --
>
> Alfred Molon

Yes it's heavy to carry all day but something like the R-Strap makes it a
lot easier.

From: Ray Fischer on
LOL! <LOL(a)LOL.org> wrote:
>On Mon, 19 Oct 2009 11:31:30 -0700, John McWilliams <jpmcw(a)comcast.net>
>wrote:
>
>>Chris Malcolm wrote:

>>> I can't imagine how you got anywhere near that weight or cost if as
>>> you say you were choosing the cheapest DSLR lenses. Can you itemise
>>> the shopping list that tots up to 23 lbs weight and $6,000?
>>
>>You're simply encouraging the pest to continue here. In this case, he's
>>trolling with a slow hook. But it's the same pest......
>
>Awww.... what's the matter. Afraid to see the truth about your piece of

Get back to us when you can deal with the truth.

--
Ray Fischer
rfischer(a)sonic.net