From: nospam on
In article <djtrd5987samm98q6toadkb31d6n8d6bse(a)4ax.com>, John Navas
<spamfilter1(a)navasgroup.com> wrote:

> >> which means we can be shooting at ISO 400 with the
> >> right focal length while the typical dSLR user is pushed to ISO 3200
> >> with the wrong focal length.
> >
> >a modern dslr at iso 3200 will have comparable or even less noise than
> >a typical compact at iso 400, and can go much higher. the sensor is
> >much larger and therefore has a much better s/n ratio. it's basic
> >physics.
>
> Wrong on both counts.

it's exactly correct.

> >> An infinite dSLR kit is totally impractical for the great majority of
> >> people, and thus disingenuous and meaningless.
> >
> >straw man. nobody carries 'an infinite dslr kit'.
>
> Then why persist is making such comparisons?
> Is it so hard and necessary to justify your dSLR?

i'm not justifying anything. you are attempting to justify your compact
camera, with some very bizarre claims.
From: John Navas on
On Tue, 20 Oct 2009 10:10:27 -0800, floyd(a)apaflo.com (Floyd L. Davidson)
wrote in <87ljj62ay4.fld(a)apaflo.com>:

>John Navas <spamfilter1(a)navasgroup.com> wrote:

>>Crusading for either dSLR or compact digital is childish and silly.
>
>Why are you always doing exactly that?

I'm guessing you see it that way because you don't like what I'm saying.
;)

>>Henri Henri Cartier-Bresson and Constantine Manos famously used the
>>Contax T, the film equivalent of a super compact P&S.
>
>Cartier-Bresson use a Leica rangefinder with a 50mm lens for
>virtually all of his work. At the time he began using it, it
>was essentially the top of the line 35mm camera and in no way
>was similar to the position of a "super compact P&S".

Again, we'll just have to agree to disagree.

>>What matters most is the workman, not the tool.
>
>You seem to have the wrong tools to be classified
>as a craftsman.

You must feel terribly threatened to be so desperate to belittle others.

--
Best regards,
John <http:/navasgroup.com>

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that,
but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great." -Mark Twain
From: John Navas on
On Tue, 20 Oct 2009 11:22:54 -0700, nospam <nospam(a)nospam.invalid> wrote
in <201020091122549001%nospam(a)nospam.invalid>:

>In article <9msrd5p8cohc5ajpmi5ktq3bamamqq5avu(a)4ax.com>, John Navas
><spamfilter1(a)navasgroup.com> wrote:
>
>> Crusading for either dSLR or compact digital is childish and silly.
>
>so why do you persist in your crusade?
>
>> Henri Henri Cartier-Bresson and Constantine Manos famously used the
>> Contax T, the film equivalent of a super compact P&S.
>
>invalid comparison. with film, *all* cameras had the same 'sensor,'
>something which is *not* true with digital.
>
>you didn't see them toting something like a 110 instamatic or minox,
>which had 'smaller sensors.'

Straw man. Sensor size isn't the point.

--
Best regards,
John

Buying a dSLR doesn't make you a photographer,
it makes you a dSLR owner.
"The single most important component of a camera
is the twelve inches behind it." -Ansel Adams
From: John Navas on
On Tue, 20 Oct 2009 11:22:55 -0700, nospam <nospam(a)nospam.invalid> wrote
in <201020091122559091%nospam(a)nospam.invalid>:

>In article <n8trd5toqr4kshtpu335vphlr2s8sltt7v(a)4ax.com>, John Navas
><spamfilter1(a)navasgroup.com> wrote:
>
>> A great photographer can take a great photo with an ordinary tool.
>> An ordinary photographer can't take a great photo with any tool.
>
>which means there's no advantage to a compact. you finally see the
>light, no pun intended.

Wrong again. Oh well.

From: nospam on
In article <fb0sd5l7acdvdvoe67ndug9s1ejfpph67e(a)4ax.com>, John Navas
<spamfilter1(a)navasgroup.com> wrote:

> >> Henri Henri Cartier-Bresson and Constantine Manos famously used the
> >> Contax T, the film equivalent of a super compact P&S.
> >
> >invalid comparison. with film, *all* cameras had the same 'sensor,'
> >something which is *not* true with digital.
> >
> >you didn't see them toting something like a 110 instamatic or minox,
> >which had 'smaller sensors.'
>
> Straw man. Sensor size isn't the point.

of course it's the point, otherwise they'd be using a view camera.