From: bitshifter on
The eternal sparkle of the clean zen post ;-)

From: bitshifter on
Thanks, Nobody.

I'll give it a look-see and maybe test it.

From: Tom Shelton on
On 2010-02-15, mayayana <mayayana(a)nospam.invalid> wrote:

>> --
>> Tom Shelton
>
> Do you realize how often you post nothing?
> I'm never sure whether it's meant to be some
> sort of Zennie trip, or whether you just get
> so worked up that you forget to paste your
> post. :)

It's a slip of the fingers. I started to reply - then though better about it.
I just hit the wrong key.

--
Tom Shelton
From: Ralph on
<bitshifter(a)sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> In another thread, someone said that compared to VB Fred, VB6 was
> pathetic.
>
> This low attempt to turn me from my private choice of language slid
> off my back like water on a duck.
>
> However, it did pique my curiosity.
>
> If I had to move from VB6, which language would I choose.
> Which language would most resemble it in IDE, ease of coding and, yes,
> RAD quality.

Surprisingly. Delphi most resembles the 'Visual Basic Windows Development"
(vb5/6) product in terms of the IDE, ease of coding, and RAD.

But that is a whole new language.

> I would accept a learning curve about the same I had to go through
> with VB6. About a hundred hours to get a simple database program
> running (from picking up the course book) and about a year or two to
> get moderatly proficient in it.

Then Delphi would be it. Learning or rather re-learning will be quicker
since you already know the basics.

[I don't use Delphi myself. This is just a personal observation from
watching many teams go that direction.]

> I came up with RealBasic, Delphi (though I heard it's on the way out),
> maybe C# (but I would try to keep away from M$ stuff), and not Java.

[PS: Delphi HAS always been on its way out. <g>]

Unfortunately none of the BASICs would rank as a "step-forward". (IMHO) All
are either a "C-ish" front-end, or a 90's BASIC, ie, no real improvement on
'features'.

"VB.Net" is only a BASIC-esque front-end for .Net Framework Development. MS
merely coop'd the name "Visual Basic" just as they did for Visual Basic for
DOS. DotNet is an entirely different ballgame. You will spend your 100+
hours learning the Framework.

> What do you think ?

Forget the actual language. The real question is what development package do
you want to use?

Or look at it this way. Migrating to vb.net because you used VB6 is a
terrible reason. But migrating to vb.net because you want to stay with MS's
development packages is a good reason. (With MS is now dotNet or the
Highway) But in that case why bother with VB.Net and just use VC++ and C#
(unless funny punctuation and case-sensitivity annoys you).

If you want to avoid MS on Windows then it is C++ or Java - but doing Java
on Windows, with the limited toolset (again IMHO), is just plain making it
tougher on yourself. It is like doing COM on Linix - sure it can be done,
but why? Spend your days playing with tools that are "as good as ...". Hell
who wants to be *just* as good as? <g>

And now here is where I really get flamed... <g>

Frankly, if you want to avoid MS, then avoid Windows. It's their world and
they call all the shots - get used to it or leave. Whine, wimper, b*tch or
cry - at the end of the day - no one cares, especially not MS.

-ralph

From: Michel Posseth [MCP] on

My simple question would be why would you move ?

I do not see anny good reassons to abandon VB6 for a product that can`t
completly replace VB6
why can we have a C++ version in Visual studio .Net that can run without
the FW and not a reall Visual Basic version that can do the same ?

IMHO :

MS should have created a Visual basic version in Visual studio that would
give the developer the choice to use .Net or not

Currently i code in both and despite that some people like to believe the
learning curve isn`t that high, back and forward just buy yourself the
Balena books and you are up in a few hours
going up or down ( VB.Net to VB6 or VB6 to VB.Net )

HTH

Michel

<bitshifter(a)sympatico.ca> schreef in bericht