From: Paul Clement on
On Mon, 15 Feb 2010 15:33:01 GMT, bitshifter(a)sympatico.ca wrote:

� In another thread, someone said that compared to VB Fred, VB6 was
� pathetic.

� This low attempt to turn me from my private choice of language slid
� off my back like water on a duck.

� However, it did pique my curiosity.

� If I had to move from VB6, which language would I choose.
� Which language would most resemble it in IDE, ease of coding and, yes,
� RAD quality.

� I would accept a learning curve about the same I had to go through
� with VB6. About a hundred hours to get a simple database program
� running (from picking up the course book) and about a year or two to
� get moderatly proficient in it.

� I came up with RealBasic, Delphi (though I heard it's on the way out),
� maybe C# (but I would try to keep away from M$ stuff), and not Java.

� What do you think ?

Choose .NET and then pick the language that interests you the most. I prefer Visual Basic and now
primarily develop new components and web applications in .NET, however; I still support Classic
Visual Basic components and one very large Classic ASP app (which actually implements .NET
components via COM interop).

I can develop any type of application that I need using the .NET development environment.

Paul
~~~~
Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)
From: Mike Williams on
"Paul Clement" <UseAdddressAtEndofMessage(a)swspectrum.com> wrote in message

> Choose .NET and then pick the language that
> interests you the most.

No. Don't do that. Don't restrict yourself to Micro$oft products in that
way.

Mike

From: Mike Williams on
"Tom Shelton" <tom_shelton(a)comcastXXXXXXX.net> wrote in message

> I would choose PowerBasic over anything. While it's not
> 100% syntax compatible, it's very powerfull, fast, and
> supports com - both servers and clients. It has no
> runtime, can use pointers, etc, etc.

Personally I'm sticking with VB6, but for anyone who does not wish to do so
then I agree with you, Tom, in that they should ditch Micro$oft and move to
something like PowerBasic (if of course they wish to stick with Basic) or to
C++ if they do not.

Mike

From: Tom Shelton on
On 2010-02-16, Mike Williams <Mike(a)WhiskyAndCoke.com> wrote:
> "Tom Shelton" <tom_shelton(a)comcastXXXXXXX.net> wrote in message
>
>> I would choose PowerBasic over anything. While it's not
>> 100% syntax compatible, it's very powerfull, fast, and
>> supports com - both servers and clients. It has no
>> runtime, can use pointers, etc, etc.
>
> Personally I'm sticking with VB6, but for anyone who does not wish to do so
> then I agree with you, Tom, in that they should ditch Micro$oft and move to
> something like PowerBasic (if of course they wish to stick with Basic) or to
> C++ if they do not.

And personally, I'm sticking with C# (and a smattering of C++).

--
Tom Shelton
From: Cor Ligthert[MVP] on
Then I would not ask it in this newsgroup if I had another goal then
creating a troll message thread,.