From: Ulrich Korndoerfer on
Hi,

bitshifter(a)sympatico.ca schrieb:

> If I had to move from VB6, which language would I choose.
> Which language would most resemble it in IDE, ease of coding and, yes,
> RAD quality.
>
> I would accept a learning curve about the same I had to go through
> with VB6. About a hundred hours to get a simple database program
> running (from picking up the course book) and about a year or two to
> get moderatly proficient in it.
>
> I came up with RealBasic, Delphi (though I heard it's on the way out),
> maybe C# (but I would try to keep away from M$ stuff), and not Java.
>
> What do you think ?

If you can bite the bullet C++, for desktop apps I would suggest Qt from
Nokia (former Trolltech). They have a nice, fairly complete framework
(that, btw, shields you from some of the badest C++ misconceptions), a
very decent IDE that manages the full development cycle, and it has a
completely free version, which allows development of commercial apps.

Comes with extensive documentation, with thoroughfully detailed and
explained code examples and tutorials, all integrated in the IDE. The
IDE has a visual GUI builder (with one-click plumbing code creation) and
a really very good code editor, that offers intellisense and all other
things one would expect (like code folding, code completion, class
browser, even text zoom and word wrap ;-). It has a sophisticated visual
block marking feature and much more.

It is multiplatform (Windows and Linux so far, also some mobile and
embedded Oses), and does not treat the windows version as a poor cousin.

Qt has been around for quite a while, is mature (current version is
4.6), actively developed, and used by many (also big) applications and
even OS-managers (like KDE on Linux).

The framework assists nice, modern GUIs, has sophisticated controls
(including a html renderer based on Webkit), applications and html are
scriptable with Javascript. It allows for flying windows, projectable
(while staying fully functional) on 3d-surfaces, alphablending and color
blending, skinning and the like :-)

It has very good internationalization support build in to the box,
decent action handling that can even make use or be controlled by a full
fledged state machine.

On Windows AFAIR the free version has basic support for COM (can use
COM-servers). For full fledged COM including creation of COM-Servers one
would have to buy the commercial version or program it on ones own.

See <http://qt.nokia.com/> for further informations.

However the learning curve will be rather steep. First because of the
big framework (but this would be so on .NET too, and, to my oppinion,
the Qt framework is better organized than the .NET one).

And second because the programming language used is C++. This might be a
show stopper. C++ is so ugly ;-) However the framework assists shipping
around the most basic C++ gruelties, eg. has smart pointers, an
automatic memory release feature based on parent-child relationships:
when the parent goes, all childs go with him and their memory is cleaned
up (including calls to finalizers if necessary).

One strategy to survive would be to construct the parent (eg the main
window object) on the stack (in the main routine) or static. Then
cleanup is fully automatic.

--
Ulrich Korndoerfer

VB tips, helpers, solutions -> http://www.proSource.de/Downloads/
From: Bob O`Bob on
Ralph wrote:

> Surprisingly. Delphi most resembles the 'Visual Basic Windows Development"
> (vb5/6) product in terms of the IDE, ease of coding, and RAD.
>
> But that is a whole new language.

Or a whole /old/ language.

Personally, I learned to hate Pascal-the-language by the early 1980s.
Even though it's "newer" than Basic, and came from similar roots,
the verbosity of Basic remains far more approachable, and stays
much more human-readable after one has forgotten one's own code.

Bob
From: Mike B on

"Bob O`Bob" <filterbob(a)yahoogroups.com> wrote in message
> Ralph wrote:
>

>> Surprisingly. Delphi most resembles the 'Visual Basic Windows
>> Development"
>> (vb5/6) product in terms of the IDE, ease of coding, and RAD.
>>
>> But that is a whole new language.
>

> Or a whole /old/ language.
>

> Personally, I learned to hate Pascal-the-language by the early 1980s.
> Even though it's "newer" than Basic, and came from similar roots,
> the verbosity of Basic remains far more approachable, and stays
> much more human-readable after one has forgotten one's own code.

Human readable is largely (IME) to do with your own coding style.
I pretty much use the same style I used with VB5/6 in my Delphi Code and it
looks pretty readable to me.

And all you guys (or gals (-; ) that had C exposure certainly wouldn't be
off put by Delphi.

You just replace the curly braces with "begin" and "end;" How hard could
that be?

I think once you get used to the scoping rules of the units, you have a
fairly gentle slope to climb acclimating to the language.

From: Mike B on

"Ralph" <nt_consulting64(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
> <bitshifter(a)sympatico.ca> wrote in message
>> In another thread, someone said that compared to VB Fred, VB6 was
>> pathetic.
>>
>> This low attempt to turn me from my private choice of language slid
>> off my back like water on a duck.
>>
>> However, it did pique my curiosity.
>>
>> If I had to move from VB6, which language would I choose.
>> Which language would most resemble it in IDE, ease of coding and, yes,
>> RAD quality.

I didn't start using Delphi much until the .Nxt stuff started. I have
been using D7 since then. I recently upgraded to D2010 but haven't
installed it yet. The D2010 IDE includes both Delphi and C#, so there are
some options there for flexibility, FWIW.

From: Ralph on

"Bob O`Bob" <filterbob(a)yahoogroups.com> wrote in message
> Ralph wrote:
>

> > Surprisingly. Delphi most resembles the 'Visual Basic Windows
Development"
> > (vb5/6) product in terms of the IDE, ease of coding, and RAD.
> >
> > But that is a whole new language.
>

> Or a whole /old/ language.
>

> Personally, I learned to hate Pascal-the-language by the early 1980s.
> Even though it's "newer" than Basic, and came from similar roots,
> the verbosity of Basic remains far more approachable, and stays
> much more human-readable after one has forgotten one's own code.

Generally agree. I never cared much for Pascal myself.

It was designed as a "teaching language" and did well in that role as it
enforced better programming through its structured approach. "Structured
Programming" was all the rage back then.

However, my recommendation is not based on the "language" but that the
Delphi development IDE/Tool more closely mimics VB (Visual Basic Windows
Development) compared to alternative platforms. One uses a BASIC dialect
front-end script to its 'forms/application' engine, the other uses a PASCAL
dialect.

-ralph