From: Mladen Gogala on
They used to be good, not any longer. I have a SR opened because of node
eviction, the SR is level 2, nobody is responding for days. I called in
on Tuesday, they opened a new SR, despite my strong objections, and
nobody is working on it. One would think that for 22% of otherwise
expensive licenses per year, the customer would be entitled to a better
support, but this is below any reasonable standard. Combined with the
infuriating flash portal, this really annoys me to no end.

--
http://mgogala.byethost5.com
From: John Hurley on
Mladen:

# They used to be good, not any longer. I have a SR opened because of
node eviction, the SR is level 2, nobody is responding for days. I
called in on Tuesday, they opened a new SR, despite my strong
objections, and nobody is working on it.

My experience in the last several years is that pretty much nothing
gets worked on that is not at Sev 1.

Even at Sev 1 ... you roll the dice if you get someone with the
experience and authority to know how to actually work an issue.

In most cases it seems like you have to get it at Sev 1 and then at
some point escalate thru a phone call from a manager and ask them
nicely to get it placed with someone competent and experienced.

From: Steve Howard on
On Jul 23, 9:17 am, Mladen Gogala <gogala.mla...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> They used to be good, not any longer. I have a SR opened because of node
> eviction, the SR is level 2, nobody is responding for days. I called in
> on Tuesday, they opened a new SR, despite my strong objections, and
> nobody is working on it. One would think that for 22% of otherwise
> expensive licenses per year, the customer would be entitled to a better
> support, but this is below any reasonable standard. Combined with the
> infuriating flash portal, this really annoys me to no end.
>
> --http://mgogala.byethost5.com

I have thought this for some time. I always laugh whenever they
purchase another company and suggest one of the benefits is customers
will now experience Oracle's "world class support". LOL!

Ironically enough, the guy that I thought was originally canned last
November after the MOS debacle had an *excellent* writeup on his blog
on how to effectively work with Oracle support. I saved the content
on the outside chance he would be fired after his dumb comments about
customers not supporting the move to flash.

It really becomes a quasi full time job to work SR's. I find I have
to commit at least two hours per day just to methodically review open
SR's and target each one based on what I think of the support analyst
up to that point in the life of that particular SR. I laugh when I
think about it some times :)
From: Mark D Powell on
On Jul 23, 9:35 am, John Hurley <hurleyjo...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> Mladen:
>
> # They used to be good, not any longer. I have a SR opened because of
> node  eviction, the SR is level 2, nobody is responding for days. I
> called in on Tuesday, they opened a new SR, despite my strong
> objections, and nobody is working on it.
>
> My experience in the last several years is that pretty much nothing
> gets worked on that is not at Sev 1.
>
> Even at Sev 1 ... you roll the dice if you get someone with the
> experience and authority to know how to actually work an issue.
>
> In most cases it seems like you have to get it at Sev 1 and then at
> some point escalate thru a phone call from a manager and ask them
> nicely to get it placed with someone competent and experienced.

We have not entered more than a few SR's in the last year none of
which were Sev 1 and support has responded. However, based on the
solution some of the responses have been slower than would seem
necessary. Unfortunately, I believe you are at the mercy of the
problem assignment process to which analyst you get.

First off I suspect that a big part of the problem is that many of the
analysts are not that knowledgable and your problem may fall outside
the analysts experience level. Then there is what may be the more
serious issue in that I believe that many of the analysts already have
more SR's assigned to them than he or she can respond to in a timely
manner.

I do not know how many times I have seen a post on OTN or in the
Oracle Support Community forums which recommended the poster open an
SR for questions that were asking for answers that amount to opinions
on how something should be approached and could have been answered by
reading the manual and considering the manual information in relation
to the user enfironment. I suspect that Oracle support is buried
under SR's for topics that can be answered directly from the manuals.

The way I see it we are stuck. There is no way a major business can
afford to run without a support contract cause you need access to the
bug fixes and support in the event you run into a reoccurring
problem. We have had to patch or upgrade our way out of problems in
the past and the need to do so again in the future cannot be
discounted.

IMHO -- Mark D Powell --

From: John Hurley on
Mark:

# The way I see it we are stuck.  There is no way a major business can
afford to run without a support contract cause you need access to the
bug fixes and support in the event you run into a reoccurring problem.
 We have had to patch or upgrade our way out of problems in the past
and the need to do so again in the future cannot be discounted ...

Well when you think about it the DBAs who have been around and have
experience are at a premium. Big companies ( and small and medium
sized ones who can pay in the range that the marketplace proves out )
will find out sooner or later that they need DBAs that can self
service their Oracle systems.

I only volley an item into Oracle support when I see no other
alternative. It is a last choice ... but one that can and needs to be
done from time to time.

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Prev: External Table Question