From: Daave on
Daave wrote:
> Robin Bignall wrote:
>> On Tue, 24 Nov 2009 14:42:04 +0000, Robin Bignall
>> <docrobin(a)ntlworld.com> wrote:

>>> MBAM was clean. I'm now going to run everything in safe mode to
>>> check.
>>
>> Just ran MBAM, SAS and Kaspersky full scans in safe mode. Nothing
>> reported. On reboot all "infection" messages had vanished. Weird,
>> huh?
>
> Yes.
>
> I still smell something rotten. I would still boot off a rescue CD and
> scan or use another PC to scan. An alternative to removing the drive
> and slaving it is to use a device like this one:
>
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812161002

Also, HijackThis might be necessary...

From: David H. Lipman on
From: "Daave" <daave(a)example.com>

| Also, HijackThis might be necessary...

I have read the original thread (when it first started) and the subsequent parts x-posted
to m.p.s.v and this is curious indeed. However I don't think HJT will help.

The way to fully understand this is to go back to the beginning. And to fully express the
EXACT (to the best as one can) messgaes and relay the exact moment(s) the messages are
displayed.

To date what I have seen is...
"I get a blue screen with white messages. There are dozens of them, all identical, which
say something like:
Infection: docs and settings my name cookies/index.dat does not exist
and cannot be removed."

From the description, it is happening PRIOR to the Winlogon Process during OS
initialization.

The question the becomes what is generating it ?

The message "Infection: docs and settings my name cookies/index.dat..."
Could be indicative of a program of a legitimate program (antimalware) that is installed
that is processing a deletion request that is intended to occur PRIOR to the GUI being
loaded and where most file handles would be in use.

Thus we need to understand what security related software already existed on this platform
PRIOR to the posting of this problem.

--
Dave

From: Daave on
David H. Lipman wrote:
> From: "Daave" <daave(a)example.com>
>

>> Also, HijackThis might be necessary...
>
> I have read the original thread (when it first started) and the
> subsequent parts x-posted to m.p.s.v and this is curious indeed.
> However I don't think HJT will help.
>
> The way to fully understand this is to go back to the beginning. And
> to fully express the EXACT (to the best as one can) messgaes and
> relay the exact moment(s) the messages are displayed.
>
> To date what I have seen is...
> "I get a blue screen with white messages. There are dozens of them,
> all identical, which say something like:
> Infection: docs and settings my name cookies/index.dat does not exist
> and cannot be removed."
>
> From the description, it is happening PRIOR to the Winlogon Process
> during OS initialization.
>
> The question the becomes what is generating it ?
>
> The message "Infection: docs and settings my name
> cookies/index.dat..."
> Could be indicative of a program of a legitimate program
> (antimalware) that is installed that is processing a deletion request
> that is intended to occur PRIOR to the GUI being loaded and where
> most file handles would be in use.

That is a good point. It could be anything. Unfortunately, I don't speak
French and the best I could come up with is this Google translation:

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=fr&u=http://www.commentcamarche.net/forum/affich-14935176-infection-index-dat-au-demarrage-d-xp&ei=IoIMS9nZKpDT8QbGrJ20BA&sa=X&oi=translate&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CAgQ7gEwAA&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dinfection%2B%2522documents%2Band%2Bsettings%2522%2B%2522cookies%255Cindex.dat%2Bcould%2Bnot%2Bbe%2Bremoved%2522%26hl%3Den

The screen shot:

http://dl.toofiles.com/uc4yon/images/e1rwa0-fsz7yj-ziucmm.jpg

I don't have Vista, so I don't know what a BSOD looks like in it, but an
XP BSOD would be *all blue* and not what this French poster submitted.

From: Robin Bignall on
On Tue, 24 Nov 2009 17:51:02 -0500, "David H. Lipman"
<DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote:

>From: "Daave" <daave(a)example.com>
>

>| Also, HijackThis might be necessary...
>
>I have read the original thread (when it first started) and the subsequent parts x-posted
>to m.p.s.v and this is curious indeed. However I don't think HJT will help.
>
>The way to fully understand this is to go back to the beginning. And to fully express the
>EXACT (to the best as one can) messgaes and relay the exact moment(s) the messages are
>displayed.
>
>To date what I have seen is...
>"I get a blue screen with white messages. There are dozens of them, all identical, which
>say something like:
>Infection: docs and settings my name cookies/index.dat does not exist
>and cannot be removed."
>
>From the description, it is happening PRIOR to the Winlogon Process during OS
>initialization.
>
>The question the becomes what is generating it ?
>
>The message "Infection: docs and settings my name cookies/index.dat..."
>Could be indicative of a program of a legitimate program (antimalware) that is installed
>that is processing a deletion request that is intended to occur PRIOR to the GUI being
>loaded and where most file handles would be in use.
>
>Thus we need to understand what security related software already existed on this platform
>PRIOR to the posting of this problem.

The precise message is:
INFECTION:DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\ROBIN BIGNALL\COOKIES\INDEX.DAT COULD
NOT BE REMOVED. FILE IS NO LONGER EXISTENT.

Needless to say, the file does exist.
As previously stated I have Kaspersky 9, A-squared pro and SAS pro
running in real time with frequent full scans. I also run MBAM weekly
and Panda Activescan 2 monthly.
--
Robin
(BrE)
From: David H. Lipman on
From: "Robin Bignall" <docrobin(a)ntlworld.com>

< snip >

| Thanks. I should say two other things:
| I ran MRT.EXE /f:y this afternoon. Zero problems reported.
| On reboot, sometimes all of these 'infection' messages are simply not
| there. Then, on another reboot, they're back again, sometimes a few,
| sometimes screens full. Normally I hibernate overnight and only
| reboot when something, like critical updates, forces me to.

| (alt.privacy.spyware added because this is being discussed there,
| too.)
| --
| Robin
| (BrE)
| Herts, England

It is definitly a security tool set to delete the file index.dat at system Reboot and
before the Winlogon process.

However, at this time none of my peers have pinpointed exactly what security tool is
generating the process.

However at this point I can/will say "don't worry". We know have done numerous anti
malware scans and the system can be deemed clean so don't get frazzled over this.

I will keep researching this and hopefully we will find what security tool is generating
the display you have seen.

--
Dave