From: "FromTheRafters" erratic on
"Robin Bignall" <docrobin(a)ntlworld.com> wrote in message
On Fri, 11 Dec 2009 19:54:02 -0500, "Daave" <daave(a)example.com> wrote:

>Robin Bignall wrote:
>
>> Just another piece of data. I just logged on as "administrator"
>> (with
>> several screens full of these infection messages) to see if, when I
>> rebooted, I might have some "administrator\cookies\index.dat"
>> messages.
>> When I rebooted back as myself all the infection messages had
>> vanished. But this has happened before on reboot.
>
>If you configue a Clean Boot, do you still get these messages?

It's hard to say, for a couple of reasons.
- even when logging on as "administrator" rather than just a member of
the administrator's group, you can't shut Kaspersky down without
uninstalling it. A "turn off protection for an hour" does not apply
through a reboot.
- sometimes, during normal operation, all of these messages vanish
anyway.

Having said that, I managed a cleanish boot with just Kaspersky and
the loudspeaker symbol showing in the tray, everything else disabled.
There were no infection messages on reboot. But I re enabled
everything and have booted several times since then and there are
still no messages. What this means I don't know.

***
The intermittent nature of the symptoms may be due to a race condition.
What might be causing it, I haven't a clue.

Not removing ccleaner, because you don't think it could be the problem,
is not good troubleshooting. Many is the time that something that
couldn't be the cause of something - actually was the cause. I'm not
saying that this is the case here, but why not remove it anyway to see
what happens? It's not as if it were a needed system file, and you could
just put it back afterward.

Sorry I couldn't help you.
***

From: Robin Bignall on
On Sun, 13 Dec 2009 19:18:03 -0500, "Daave" <daave(a)example.com> wrote:

>Robin Bignall wrote:

>>> If you configue a Clean Boot, do you still get these messages?
>>>
>> It's hard to say, for a couple of reasons.
>> - even when logging on as "administrator" rather than just a member of
>> the administrator's group, you can't shut Kaspersky down without
>> uninstalling it. A "turn off protection for an hour" does not apply
>> through a reboot.
>> - sometimes, during normal operation, all of these messages vanish
>> anyway.
>>
>> Having said that, I managed a cleanish boot with just Kaspersky and
>> the loudspeaker symbol showing in the tray, everything else disabled.
>> There were no infection messages on reboot. But I re enabled
>> everything and have booted several times since then and there are
>> still no messages. What this means I don't know.
>
>Alas, intermittent problems are the most difficult to solve! And perhaps
>you unknowingly fixed your problem.

Unfortunately, no. When I booted this morning I got 30 or 40 of these
messages. I booted having physically disconnected from the Internet,
to leave the machine running all day and see what, if anything
happened. Unfortunately, my helpful wife, seeing the machine running
and thinking I'd inadvertently left it on, shut it down a few minutes
later. When I booted tonight, no infection messages. Who knows what
I'll see tomorrow...
--
Robin
(BrE)
From: Massimo on
On Mon, 14 Dec 2009 22:34:52 +0000, Robin Bignall
<docrobin(a)ntlworld.com> wrote:

>On Sun, 13 Dec 2009 19:18:03 -0500, "Daave" <daave(a)example.com> wrote:
>
>>Robin Bignall wrote:

>>> It's hard to say, for a couple of reasons.
>>> - even when logging on as "administrator" rather than just a member of
>>> the administrator's group, you can't shut Kaspersky down without
>>> uninstalling it. A "turn off protection for an hour" does not apply
>>> through a reboot.
>>> - sometimes, during normal operation, all of these messages vanish
>>> anyway.
>>>
>>> Having said that, I managed a cleanish boot with just Kaspersky and
>>> the loudspeaker symbol showing in the tray, everything else disabled.
>>> There were no infection messages on reboot. But I re enabled
>>> everything and have booted several times since then and there are
>>> still no messages. What this means I don't know.
>>
>>Alas, intermittent problems are the most difficult to solve! And perhaps
>>you unknowingly fixed your problem.
>>
>Unfortunately, no. When I booted this morning I got 30 or 40 of these
>messages. I booted having physically disconnected from the Internet,
>to leave the machine running all day and see what, if anything
>happened. Unfortunately, my helpful wife, seeing the machine running
>and thinking I'd inadvertently left it on, shut it down a few minutes
>later. When I booted tonight, no infection messages. Who knows what
>I'll see tomorrow...

Your wife, most probably.

Massimo

From: Buffalo on

Massimo wrote:
[snip]
>> When I booted tonight, no infection
>> messages. Who knows what I'll see tomorrow...
>
> Your wife, most probably.
>
> Massimo

You think?
Merry Christmas
Buffalo

From: Robin Bignall on
On the subject of these messages:

infection:documents and settings\robin bignall\cookies\index.dat could
not be removed. file is no longer existent.

appearing before the XP login screen, I have discovered how to stop
them occurring. That is to turn off the real-time background
protection in A-squared.

I have no idea what is happening, but I assume something in A-squared
is building a table (the number of messages I see seems to be directly
proportional to the length of time the system is powered up) and then
some component of XP, or, more likely, Kaspersky 2010, is running
through this table generating these messages. Either some weird
interaction or bug in either/both.

The real-time guard of SAS works perfectly (or, at least, these
messages do not appear when it's running).

Merry Christmas or its equivalent to all.
--
Robin
(BrE)