From: Daave on
Robin Bignall wrote:
> On the subject of these messages:
>
> infection:documents and settings\robin bignall\cookies\index.dat could
> not be removed. file is no longer existent.
>
> appearing before the XP login screen, I have discovered how to stop
> them occurring. That is to turn off the real-time background
> protection in A-squared.
>
> I have no idea what is happening, but I assume something in A-squared
> is building a table (the number of messages I see seems to be directly
> proportional to the length of time the system is powered up) and then
> some component of XP, or, more likely, Kaspersky 2010, is running
> through this table generating these messages. Either some weird
> interaction or bug in either/both.
>
> The real-time guard of SAS works perfectly (or, at least, these
> messages do not appear when it's running).
>
> Merry Christmas or its equivalent to all.

Thanks for sharing the cause of the problem.

You are probably aware that it is not recommended to run two or more
real-time antispyware (or antivirus) programs simultaneously. I wonder
if you disabled SAS (or Kaspersky 2010) completely but keep A-Squared
with its real-time protection on, what the outcome would be.

Merry Christmas to you, too, Robin!

From: David H. Lipman on
From: "Robin Bignall" <docrobin(a)ntlworld.com>

| On the subject of these messages:

| infection:documents and settings\robin bignall\cookies\index.dat could
| not be removed. file is no longer existent.

| appearing before the XP login screen, I have discovered how to stop
| them occurring. That is to turn off the real-time background
| protection in A-squared.

| I have no idea what is happening, but I assume something in A-squared
| is building a table (the number of messages I see seems to be directly
| proportional to the length of time the system is powered up) and then
| some component of XP, or, more likely, Kaspersky 2010, is running
| through this table generating these messages. Either some weird
| interaction or bug in either/both.

| The real-time guard of SAS works perfectly (or, at least, these
| messages do not appear when it's running).

| Merry Christmas or its equivalent to all.
| --
| Robin
| (BrE)
| Herts, England

Thanx for the update Robin!

--
Dave

From: Andy Medina on
"Robin Bignall" <docrobin(a)ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> On the subject of these messages:
>
> infection:documents and settings\robin bignall\cookies\index.dat could
> not be removed. file is no longer existent.
>
> appearing before the XP login screen, I have discovered how to stop
> them occurring. That is to turn off the real-time background
> protection in A-squared.

This shows the importance of turning off or uninstalling various programs
REGARDLESS of whether one believes it can not be the culprit.
Troubleshooting any problem demands it. Reminds me of the times years ago
(in the DOS and early Windows days) when *mouse drivers* would interfere
with printing. Many a tech would be caught red-faced because they just could
not believe a mouse driver would interfere with printing. Yet turn off or
uninstall the mouse driver and the printing problem would disappear.
Reinstall or turn the driver back on, and the printing problem would
resurface. Any tech worth his salt will seek to *prove* a
program/driver/utility is not the culprit, rather than go with the *belief*
it can not be the culprit. I have even had people complain about turning off
screen savers while troubleshooting a problem. Geeeeeez, it's not like I
want them to turn it off forever, unless it is causing problems. Yes, even
screen savers have been found to cause problems.

From: Robin Bignall on
On Thu, 24 Dec 2009 10:42:42 -0500, "Daave" <daave(a)example.com> wrote:

>Robin Bignall wrote:
>> On the subject of these messages:
>>
>> infection:documents and settings\robin bignall\cookies\index.dat could
>> not be removed. file is no longer existent.
>>
>> appearing before the XP login screen, I have discovered how to stop
>> them occurring. That is to turn off the real-time background
>> protection in A-squared.
>>
>> I have no idea what is happening, but I assume something in A-squared
>> is building a table (the number of messages I see seems to be directly
>> proportional to the length of time the system is powered up) and then
>> some component of XP, or, more likely, Kaspersky 2010, is running
>> through this table generating these messages. Either some weird
>> interaction or bug in either/both.
>>
>> The real-time guard of SAS works perfectly (or, at least, these
>> messages do not appear when it's running).
>>
>> Merry Christmas or its equivalent to all.
>
>Thanks for sharing the cause of the problem.
>
>You are probably aware that it is not recommended to run two or more
>real-time antispyware (or antivirus) programs simultaneously. I wonder
>if you disabled SAS (or Kaspersky 2010) completely but keep A-Squared
>with its real-time protection on, what the outcome would be.

I was aware of the problem running two antivirus programs
simultaneously, but didn't appreciate that it applied to malware too.
Having just installed Kaspersky 9.0.0.736 I'm reluctant to uninstall
it. I'll switch Asquared on again and see if the problem still
exists. SAS does not seem to affect these messages.
--
Robin
(BrE)
From: "FromTheRafters" erratic on
> On Thu, 24 Dec 2009 10:42:42 -0500, "Daave" <daave(a)example.com> wrote:
>
>>Robin Bignall wrote:
>>> On the subject of these messages:
>>>
>>> infection:documents and settings\robin bignall\cookies\index.dat
>>> could
>>> not be removed. file is no longer existent.
>>>
>>> appearing before the XP login screen, I have discovered how to stop
>>> them occurring. That is to turn off the real-time background
>>> protection in A-squared.
>>>
>>> I have no idea what is happening, but I assume something in
>>> A-squared
>>> is building a table (the number of messages I see seems to be
>>> directly
>>> proportional to the length of time the system is powered up) and
>>> then
>>> some component of XP, or, more likely, Kaspersky 2010, is running
>>> through this table generating these messages. Either some weird
>>> interaction or bug in either/both.
>>>
>>> The real-time guard of SAS works perfectly (or, at least, these
>>> messages do not appear when it's running).
>>>
>>> Merry Christmas or its equivalent to all.
>>
>>Thanks for sharing the cause of the problem.
>>
>>You are probably aware that it is not recommended to run two or more
>>real-time antispyware (or antivirus) programs simultaneously. I wonder
>>if you disabled SAS (or Kaspersky 2010) completely but keep A-Squared
>>with its real-time protection on, what the outcome would be.
>>
> I was aware of the problem running two antivirus programs
> simultaneously, but didn't appreciate that it applied to malware too.
> Having just installed Kaspersky 9.0.0.736 I'm reluctant to uninstall
> it. I'll switch Asquared on again and see if the problem still
> exists. SAS does not seem to affect these messages.

It could even be affected by the order in which the suspects get loaded
into memory. It kinda reminds me of the "Two Black Crows" routine about
the race '...if I get there first, I'll draw a line in the dirt - if you
get there first, you rub it out..'. Computer programs will actually try
to do this when told to.