From: "FromTheRafters" erratic on

"The Real Truth MVP" <trt(a)void.com> wrote in message
> Window washer no mail washer pro yes.

Thanks.

I asked about Windows Washer (and similar) because that is one program
that 'cleans up' some of the residual browsing traces by deleting
certain index.dat files (for privacy zealots). It wouldn't surprise me
if this were a conflict between two such programs - one that didn't
forsee the possibility that "not exist" could ever exist.

The OP could conceivably uninstall and then reinstall them in the
reverse order and avoid the 'non handled' error (assuming the other
program is written more smartly).

From: "FromTheRafters" erratic on
"Robin Bignall" <docrobin(a)ntlworld.com> wrote in message
On Fri, 11 Dec 2009 19:35:03 -0500, "FromTheRafters" <erratic
@nomail.afraid.org> wrote:

>"Robin Bignall" <docrobin(a)ntlworld.com> wrote in message
>
>Do you use "Windows Washer" or some similar program?

No, only what's in IE8 and CCleaner.

***
I'm not too familiar with that (although I use it myself), but do you
use it in conjunction with a browser add-on (Firefox?).

I'm just grasping at straws here - try removing ccleaner completely (you
can reinstall it later) and see if the problem persists.
***

From: Robin Bignall on
On Fri, 11 Dec 2009 19:54:02 -0500, "Daave" <daave(a)example.com> wrote:

>Robin Bignall wrote:
>
>> Just another piece of data. I just logged on as "administrator" (with
>> several screens full of these infection messages) to see if, when I
>> rebooted, I might have some "administrator\cookies\index.dat"
>> messages.
>> When I rebooted back as myself all the infection messages had
>> vanished. But this has happened before on reboot.
>
>If you configue a Clean Boot, do you still get these messages?

It's hard to say, for a couple of reasons.
- even when logging on as "administrator" rather than just a member of
the administrator's group, you can't shut Kaspersky down without
uninstalling it. A "turn off protection for an hour" does not apply
through a reboot.
- sometimes, during normal operation, all of these messages vanish
anyway.

Having said that, I managed a cleanish boot with just Kaspersky and
the loudspeaker symbol showing in the tray, everything else disabled.
There were no infection messages on reboot. But I re enabled
everything and have booted several times since then and there are
still no messages. What this means I don't know.
--
Robin
(BrE)
From: Robin Bignall on
On Sat, 12 Dec 2009 19:05:41 -0500, "FromTheRafters" <erratic
@nomail.afraid.org> wrote:

>"Robin Bignall" <docrobin(a)ntlworld.com> wrote in message
>On Fri, 11 Dec 2009 19:35:03 -0500, "FromTheRafters" <erratic
>@nomail.afraid.org> wrote:
>

>>"Robin Bignall" <docrobin(a)ntlworld.com> wrote in message
>>
>>Do you use "Windows Washer" or some similar program?
>>
>No, only what's in IE8 and CCleaner.
>
>***
>I'm not too familiar with that (although I use it myself), but do you
>use it in conjunction with a browser add-on (Firefox?).

No, I just use IE8.

>I'm just grasping at straws here - try removing ccleaner completely (you
>can reinstall it later) and see if the problem persists.
>***

Ccleaner shouldn't do anything unless it's actually run. I haven't
run it for a few days, I just rebooted and got about 40 of these
messages, after having none for a while. Must get to bed now, but
tomorrow I'll physically disconnect from the Internet and boot a few
times to see what happens.
--
Robin
(BrE)
From: Daave on
Robin Bignall wrote:
> On Fri, 11 Dec 2009 19:54:02 -0500, "Daave" <daave(a)example.com> wrote:
>
>> Robin Bignall wrote:
>>
>>> Just another piece of data. I just logged on as "administrator"
>>> (with several screens full of these infection messages) to see if,
>>> when I rebooted, I might have some "administrator\cookies\index.dat"
>>> messages.
>>> When I rebooted back as myself all the infection messages had
>>> vanished. But this has happened before on reboot.
>>
>> If you configue a Clean Boot, do you still get these messages?
>>
> It's hard to say, for a couple of reasons.
> - even when logging on as "administrator" rather than just a member of
> the administrator's group, you can't shut Kaspersky down without
> uninstalling it. A "turn off protection for an hour" does not apply
> through a reboot.
> - sometimes, during normal operation, all of these messages vanish
> anyway.
>
> Having said that, I managed a cleanish boot with just Kaspersky and
> the loudspeaker symbol showing in the tray, everything else disabled.
> There were no infection messages on reboot. But I re enabled
> everything and have booted several times since then and there are
> still no messages. What this means I don't know.

Alas, intermittent problems are the most difficult to solve! And perhaps
you unknowingly fixed your problem.