From: Daave on
Kev wrote:
> I am trying to install Windows XP on a Dell laptop that currently has
> Linux Ubuntu installed. After booting up with the Windows CD in the
> drive, it loads various Windows files, but eventually stops on a blue
> screen message advising me to run CHKDSK, but won't respond after
> that. I suspect that Windows is seeing the Linux partitions as disk
> corruption, but how can I get past this?

What is your goal? Do you truly want to install Windows XP "over" Ubuntu
(as indicated in your Subject line, implying wiping the disk, getting
rid of Unbuntu, and performing a Clean Install of XP)? Or do you wish to
configure a dual-boot (which seems to be the gist of the message,
maybe)?

From: Stefan Patric on
On Thu, 17 Jun 2010 00:18:05 +0100, Kev wrote:

> I am trying to install Windows XP on a Dell laptop that currently has
> Linux Ubuntu installed. After booting up with the Windows CD in the
> drive, it loads various Windows files, but eventually stops on a blue
> screen message advising me to run CHKDSK, but won't respond after that.
> I suspect that Windows is seeing the Linux partitions as disk
> corruption, but how can I get past this?

Are you using an Install XP CD or an Upgrade one or, maybe, a Restore?
I'm guess that it's one of the latter two, since it seems the disk is
looking for Windows on the hard drive or, possibly, a restore partition.
Neither of which is there, and it thinks the hard drive is corrupted.

If you don't have a full Install Windows CD, you're not going to be able
to install Windows.

Stef
From: Kev on
> What is your goal? Do you truly want to install Windows XP "over" Ubuntu
> (as indicated in your Subject line, implying wiping the disk, getting rid
> of Unbuntu, and performing a Clean Install of XP)? Or do you wish to
> configure a dual-boot (which seems to be the gist of the message, maybe)?

I am intending to get rid of Ubuntu and install Windows only.

From: Kev on
> Are you using an Install XP CD or an Upgrade one or, maybe, a Restore?
> I'm guess that it's one of the latter two, since it seems the disk is
> looking for Windows on the hard drive or, possibly, a restore partition.
> Neither of which is there, and it thinks the hard drive is corrupted.
>
> If you don't have a full Install Windows CD, you're not going to be able
> to install Windows.

I was using a full installation Windows XP Pro CD.

By the way, I also have an installation CD for Windows 2003 Server. I tried
booting with this disk too and it produced the same result.

From: Daave on
Kev wrote:
>> What is your goal? Do you truly want to install Windows XP "over"
>> Ubuntu (as indicated in your Subject line, implying wiping the disk,
>> getting rid of Unbuntu, and performing a Clean Install of XP)? Or do
>> you wish to configure a dual-boot (which seems to be the gist of the
>> message, maybe)?
>
> I am intending to get rid of Ubuntu and install Windows only.

That information is very important!

In that case, whatever currently happens to be on your hard drive is
immaterial. You need to make sure you delete all the partitions (See
Part 2):

http://www.windowsxphome.windowsreinstall.com/sp2sp3installxpcdoldhdd/indexfullpage.htm

If you happen to have a separate partition for *data only*, that
partition may remain.

If you get hung up along the way, please tell us at which exact step
this occurs.

Before you wipe the disk, have you copied all your important data?

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Prev: Systray icons missing.
Next: install/validate/genuine problem