From: Shenan Stanley on
Kev wrote:
> Good call about SATA, Stef. In the BIOS there are two settings for
> SATA drives: IDE and AHCI. It was set to AHCI, so I changed it to
> IDE and tried booting up with the Windows XP disk again. This time
> it worked and I successfully installed Windows.
>
> Still not finished yet though. Although Windows XP is up and
> running, there are some yellow items listed in Device Manager.

Go to the manufacturer web sites for each of your hardware components and
download the Windows XP drivers for the devices in your computer.

Some of the main ones will be:

- Network device(s) (likely how you will connect to the Internet and other
computers.)
- Chipset (motherboard.)
- Video device(s).
- Audio device(s).
- Other hardware you may have attached internally and externally.

You will want to get the drivers from the manufacturer web pages. If you
are lucky - you can get most of them from one place (if this is a Dell, HP,
Packard Bell, Gateway, Lenovo or other type of computer where you can go to
a web page, enter your model number and select which OS you have and get the
drivers appropriate for that system with a minimal of knowledge about what
you actually purchased.)

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

From: Kev on
>> I am running XP on my main PC (a homebuilt desktop) with 3 SATA HDDs and
>> it works fine. The only minor issue with this is that the Safely Remove
>> Hardware function lists the 3 HDDs as though they were removable
>> devices. This is fine as long as I don't accidentally click on one of
>> them and hit Remove!
>
> Are the hard drives correctly identified in "My Computer"? That is, as
> NOT removable? Is there a C: drive? The fact that XP "thinks" they are
> removable media is indicative of a problem. At the very least, you
> should discover why.

They work as normal drives in Explorer and elsewhere, apart from in Safely
Remove Hardware. It's been like this for 3 years and it has never caused
any problems (as far as I know). I did post a question about it on a forum
once, but nobody came up with any useful ideas.

From: Kev on
> Go to the manufacturer web sites for each of your hardware components and
> download the Windows XP drivers for the devices in your computer.
>
> Some of the main ones will be:
>
> - Network device(s) (likely how you will connect to the Internet and other
> computers.)
> - Chipset (motherboard.)
> - Video device(s).
> - Audio device(s).
> - Other hardware you may have attached internally and externally.

It appears that WXP drivers for the graphics card (ATI HD3400) are
non-existent. Should I install Vista drivers instead or not install
anything?

From: Shenan Stanley on
Kev wrote:
> It appears that WXP drivers for the graphics card (ATI HD3400) are
> non-existent. Should I install Vista drivers instead or not install
> anything?

No. You cannot use drivers for newer OSes on past OSes in most cases/unless
specified. ;-)

Don't know where you looked - get the Display Drivers only - IMHO:
http://game.amd.com/us-en/drivers_catalyst.aspx?p=xp/radeonx-xp
(In the release notes, it says it supports the ATI Radeon HD 3400 Series.)

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

From: Daave on
Shenan Stanley wrote:
> Kev wrote:
>> It appears that WXP drivers for the graphics card (ATI HD3400) are
>> non-existent. Should I install Vista drivers instead or not install
>> anything?
>
> No. You cannot use drivers for newer OSes on past OSes in most
> cases/unless specified. ;-)

To Kev:

I've lost track. Which OS did you decide to install on your laptop?

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Prev: Systray icons missing.
Next: install/validate/genuine problem