From: Stefan Patric on
On Fri, 18 Jun 2010 21:19:14 +0100, Kev wrote:

>> Also, the hard drive in the 1537 is SATA. XP and 2003 server are
>> fairly old. Could be that the SATA interface is the culprit. Might be
>> the graphics chip. But in any case, if Ubuntu is running on it,
>> Windows should, too.
>
> I am running XP on my main PC (a homebuilt desktop) with 3 SATA HDDs and
> it works fine. The only minor issue with this is that the Safely Remove
> Hardware function lists the 3 HDDs as though they were removable
> devices. This is fine as long as I don't accidentally click on one of
> them and hit Remove!

Are the hard drives correctly identified in "My Computer"? That is, as
NOT removable? Is there a C: drive? The fact that XP "thinks" they are
removable media is indicative of a problem. At the very least, you
should discover why.

Stef
From: Kev on
> I'd get the Gparted live CD .ISO and burn it to a CD. Then boot using
> the live CD and erase all the partitions on the hard drive and create
> new NTFS formatted partitions.

I have now just done this, i.e. used GParted Live to create a single
partition (except that I set it for FAT32 rather than NTFS). It all seemed
to be going well until I tried booting with the Windows CD again. Same
result - blue screen.

From: 123Jim on

"Kev" <ijk(a)ntlworld.com> wrote in message
>> I'd get the Gparted live CD .ISO and burn it to a CD. Then boot using
>> the live CD and erase all the partitions on the hard drive and create
>> new NTFS formatted partitions.
>
> I have now just done this, i.e. used GParted Live to create a single
> partition (except that I set it for FAT32 rather than NTFS). It all
> seemed to be going well until I tried booting with the Windows CD again.
> Same result - blue screen.

Now that the disk is ready for install .. why not run CHKDSK /f

[ /f Fixes errors on the volume. The volume must be locked. If CHKDSK
cannot lock the volume, it offers to check it the next time the computer
starts. ]

From: 123Jim on

"123Jim" <jnkjnjnini(a)uhnuhnunuhnuy.invalid> wrote in message

> "Kev" <ijk(a)ntlworld.com> wrote in message
>>> I'd get the Gparted live CD .ISO and burn it to a CD. Then boot using
>>> the live CD and erase all the partitions on the hard drive and create
>>> new NTFS formatted partitions.
>>
>> I have now just done this, i.e. used GParted Live to create a single
>> partition (except that I set it for FAT32 rather than NTFS). It all
>> seemed to be going well until I tried booting with the Windows CD again.
>> Same result - blue screen.
>
> Now that the disk is ready for install .. why not run CHKDSK /f
>
> [ /f Fixes errors on the volume. The volume must be locked. If CHKDSK
> cannot lock the volume, it offers to check it the next time the computer
> starts. ]

Instead of chkdsk /f I think it will be chkdsk /p from xp recovery console
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CHKDSK

From: Kev on
> You could try a "repair" CD to repartition and reformat the drive to
> something that Windows would definitely recognized.
>
> Also, the hard drive in the 1537 is SATA. XP and 2003 server are fairly
> old. Could be that the SATA interface is the culprit. Might be the
> graphics chip. But in any case, if Ubuntu is running on it, Windows
> should, too.

Good call about SATA, Stef. In the BIOS there are two settings for SATA
drives: IDE and AHCI. It was set to AHCI, so I changed it to IDE and tried
booting up with the Windows XP disk again. This time it worked and I
successfully installed Windows.

Still not finished yet though. Although Windows XP is up and running, there
are some yellow items listed in Device Manager.

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Prev: Systray icons missing.
Next: install/validate/genuine problem